New splash of color on the dash! PICS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew when I said "Pics" that would get everyone's attention.

Anyhoo, I had been toying for some time (over a year, really) to try some way to customize some bits of my dash, display, add a splash of color for some pizazz and started looking into painting dash plastic. "Yeah, it'll never work" I thought. That oily, slippery surface? No way. Then I started to come across threads where some customizers and tuners claimed that it could be done. After seeing some of the results, I figured I'd give it a try. On something that was, you know, not fatal if it didn't work. By accident, I came across a site that actually sells these (pics follow) for something like $30. I don't know if they've molded them, or they've done their own paint, but either way, I decided to do my own work, and overall, I'm pleased. Caveats:

Painting plastic ain't easy. Prep prep prep. One site said to not even bother with the special plastic paints. That if you prep right, the results will be good.

I sanded these babies down with 600 grit paper, primered them, sanded some more, then reprimered and coated with a rustoleum high gloss enamel. That stuff takes a long time to cure, but it came out ok. I'm not overly pleased with my technique, and they do have flaws, and masking was a total son of a B at first until I figured out a pretty slick technique. Honestly, I don't know how well they'll hold up against keys scraping across them, fingernails jamming into the paint as you reach for them while driving. But I do know that Rustoleum, given enough time will eventually cure as hard as nails. But it takes time. I'm still not confident these will last, but I'm careful with them, and I'll just see how they last after some months in the car.

In the end, I honestly have to say that I'm not sure if the prep work and wait time is worth it if you have $30 bucks in your pocket, and just want some on your car. I'll let you guys mull that over.

The effect though? I'm pretty happy with it. Opinions? Even criticism, I'd like to hear it. I present to you:

You must be registered for see images attach

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'd have to say I'm fine with my plain black ones but whatever makes you happy is cool, YOU'RE the one who spends the time in the driver's seat :D

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my line of cars we call that rice and would beg you to not mess up the interior but to each his own

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea but it isn't the color I would have chosen. I was thinking it would be cool to incorporate the body color of my Jeep on the interior components somehow and this gave me a few ideas. I say, nice work and thanks for the pics.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys, including the not-so-positive ones. Always like to know what people think.

As far as the color, yeah, for you guys that have a non-black liberty, your accent color would do well to be the exterior paint of your body.

For those of us with Black jeeps, more black on the interior isn't really going to work. I've sort of officially chosen that yellow as my accent color. I've seen some guys on the forums who do similar stuff (with all manner of 4wd vehicles). They choose an accent color and do the tow hooks, shackles-- just for splashes of color here and there. Yellow and black are a good combo in my opinion. The only inconsitency I'll have is my leather seats have orange centers- an orange very similar to tjkj2002's exterior color. So unfortunatly, things won't be entirely consistent.

the reason I want a little color on the controls is that the liberty interior is a little blah. It's a sea of grey, with grey accents layered with grey controls on a rather grey background. With a spash of grey thrown in. I always felt that the controls and things just kind of disappear when looking at the interior. To wit:

You must be registered for see images

Here's a case where the bezel is silver (which actually looks good) but I don't know if those silver accents are applique's. If it is, run, do not walk to the nearest exit. While some appliques can look good (stay away from those gawdawful faux wood types) they're gonna peel. Anyway, those climate knobs in the picture above just fade into the background.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys, including the not-so-positive ones. Always like to know what people think.

As far as the color, yeah, for you guys that have a non-black liberty, your accent color would do well to be the exterior paint of your body.

For those of us with Black jeeps, more black on the interior isn't really going to work. I've sort of officially chosen that yellow as my accent color. I've seen some guys on the forums who do similar stuff (with all manner of 4wd vehicles). They choose an accent color and do the tow hooks, shackles-- just for splashes of color here and there. Yellow and black are a good combo in my opinion. The only inconsitency I'll have is my leather seats have orange centers- an orange very similar to tjkj2002's exterior color. So unfortunatly, things won't be entirely consistent.

the reason I want a little color on the controls is that the liberty interior is a little blah. It's a sea of grey, with grey accents layered with grey controls on a rather grey background. With a spash of grey thrown in. I always felt that the controls and things just kind of disappear when looking at the interior. To wit:

Here's a case where the bezel is silver (which actually looks good) but I don't know if those silver accents are applique's. If it is, run, do not walk to the nearest exit. While some appliques can look good (stay away from those gawdawful faux wood types) they're gonna peel. Anyway, those climate knobs in the picture above just fade into the background.

I really like your idea man. The brushed aluminum dash kit better not be an applique, its like 130 bucks online where i found it, i really want it but not if its an applique.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have done one in Red, one in White and one in Blue if it were me, but if you are cool with the yellow...(Cheers)

(flag)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
jnaut....I think you did an awesome job. It does look good but it doesn't make me want to run out and do mine if you know what I mean. Anyway, take that as a compliment.

Now I need to warn you that when yellocoyote sees this, she will be over to your place to steal your nobs. They will match her yello tow hooks......so keep that jeep locked up real good.....haha:D

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Nope....they are real plastic. The ones on the door are heavier plastic....

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jnaut, if you think your Dark Slate is bad... Medium Slate is even worse.... however IMO would be the perfect candidate for my bright blue idea. :)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I need to warn you that when yellocoyote sees this, she will be over to your place to steal your nobs. They will match her yello tow hooks......so keep that jeep locked up real good.....haha:D

Dave

No one steals the Jnaut's knobs! Not even Mrs. Jnaut!

But seriously, thanks.

would have done one in Red, one in White and one in Blue if it were me

Interesting...

however IMO would be the perfect candidate for my bright blue idea.

Marlon, that website I saw selling the knobs had them in several colors. Blue was the one they actually featured in the picture. Looked pretty good. If I can find the link I'll try to post it. Again, for those of you with limited time who are interested in trying this, it might just be worth dropping the $30.

edit: found it. For those of you interested in all things color, this website goes above and beyond. Worth a look.

http://www.mrkgroup.net/store2/index.php?manufacturers_id=10

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Marlon, that website I saw selling the knobs had them in several colors. Blue was the one they actually featured in the picture. Looked pretty good. If I can find the link I'll try to post it. Again, for those of you with limited time who are interested in trying this, it might just be worth dropping the $30.

edit: found it. For those of you interested in all things color, this website goes above and beyond. Worth a look.

http://www.mrkgroup.net/store2/index.php?manufacturers_id=10

[

That blue looks good!!!! Not sure how it would look with a tan interior with brushed aluminum....:confused:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That blue looks good!!!! Not sure how it would look with a tan interior with brushed aluminum....:confused:

Yeah, the tan kind of limits your color accent choices. Grey and black is a little better because it's a little more neutral. Of course, you can go hog wild and paint the entire dash a new color. Found a tutorial on a Chevy site on how to do it. But once you start doing the bigger things your prep, paints and tools start getting a little more 'pro'. You start needing things like 'flex additives' and what not to keep it from cracking on the larger surfaces.

Here's a DIY tutorial: http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60317

Took a drab, grey dash and turned it into this (more pics in the link):

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks.....but I like my tan. It matches the Light Khaki perfectly....a Light Khaki bezel might look good....:D