New spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwbyflyer

Reaction score
I finally got around to replacing the spark plugs in my (new to me) 2004 Libby. Recently I had noticed a drop in MPGs, rough idle, and the occasional hot start problem. After looking at the old plugs, I think I know why!

You must be registered for see images

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the odometer? Probably original plugs. Mine was the same way when I got mine with over 80k on it. I was amazed it ran as well as it did.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those plugs look pretty bad. How many miles were on them?

Dave

BorincanoKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi cwbyflyer What are those new spark plug did you have?

A humble advice when change the spark plug uses which it is written under the hood label recommended by the manufacturer ZFRGF-11G

Geof3

Reaction score
Yeah, I did mine a couple of weeks ago and they looked pretty much the same. The entire left bank was less than hand tight with carbon blow by. I changed them, not because my engine ran poorly, but because it was near 120k and I didn't know the previous plug change interval. Given they were so loose I too was amazed it ran at all.

Also, if you haven't already, clean your throttle body and associated components. Mine was NASTY and it made a VERY significant difference in driveability.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look like mine did when I got my Liberty with 79,000 miles on it - and them.

cwbyflyer

Reaction score
The replacements were NGK copper cores. Not sure how many miles were on the plugs, 165000 on the odometer.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked like mine did at about 78k when I bought it, changing them out really improved the gas mileage.

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That said, how does the Libby run with those new plugs? I'm curious if they are in fact platinum tipped because I don't think I've heard anyone around here recommend using them over the regular old copper plugs

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The correct longest lasting plug is ZFR6F-11G. Replace every 30k miles.
You must be registered for see images attach

The Jeep likes the correct gap!
55973[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Keep in mind those platinum tipped ones can have the gap eaten quick.
The KJ's coil pack fire them hot..real hot!

Attachments

• JeepKJSparkPlugInfo.jpg
    JeepKJSparkPlugInfo.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0

cwbyflyer

Reaction score
That said, how does the Libby run with those new plugs? I'm curious if they are in fact platinum tipped because I don't think I've heard anyone around here recommend using them over the regular old copper plugs

I had my mechanic do the swap because I just don't have the time right now to tackle it and he was supposed to get the factory direct replacement, so I am assuming that they aren't the platinum tipped. On the positive side, my Libby is running great - there is additional power when I hit the gas, the idle is now smooth, and partially though the first tank of gas it looks like my mileage has improved.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had my mechanic do the swap because I just don't have the time right now to tackle it and he was supposed to get the factory direct replacement, so I am assuming that they aren't the platinum tipped. On the positive side, my Libby is running great - there is additional power when I hit the gas, the idle is now smooth, and partially though the first tank of gas it looks like my mileage has improved.

Just for reference it only takes about 20 minutes to swap the plugs out, and never assume with some of these shops

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for reference it only takes about 20 minutes to swap the plugs out, and never assume with some of these shops

I would think it would have taken longer to drive to/from the shop and pull out your wallet and pay then swap out plugs lol. I have made the mistake of assuming shops know what they are doing too often.

Latest posts

Members online