New Renegade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NPVR6

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I Bought this 2003 Renegade last month and its been great so far. I had a regular liberty 3 years ago and knew the renegade had all the options I wanted so I went for it. It has 85K miles on it and runs perfectly, I already changed the plugs and filter and I am going to be doing a ****** and filter change and differential fluid change. I have an enormous car history and can do everything from Paint and body work to engine building so this truck will be a breeze to work with!
I found that the truck needs two rear tires because they are warn unevenly, they were probably on the front and that makes it seem like the front needs an alignment.
I bought this truck to go skiing with my friends so we will have a 4WD vehicle and it seems great so far, much better than my base liberty I had. I am going to put a double din navigation in it and enjoy it.

I have a few questions which I searched for and could not find.

1) I hear a high pitched whine that is related the the engine RPM's, it is not loud but with the radio off I can hear it whining and become louder and quieter when the gears change and the RPM's fluctuate. I have checked the PS fluid to rule that out. Any ideas?

2) I have found that the rear hinges for the flip up glass on the tail gate have completely corroded and are most likely causing the truck to rust under them. I am going to pull the glass off this weekend and sand and paint the hinges and sand and repaint the area under it if it needs to be done. I will check the 3rd brake light at the same time and silicone it like alot of people recommend.

3) I noticed that the engine has a knock when it is cold and goes away as the truck warms up. The dealer I got it from did an oil change and I do not know which oil they put in but maybe it is the wrong weight. I try to warm it up before I drive it, but sometimes I am late for the train and have to get going right away. Does anyone know about this issue or have any recommendations as to where the noise is coming from or if this is really just a piston knock and i need to watch out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 38
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 33
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 34

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

You've got the perfect Liberty - its exactly like mine including the color! :favorites13:

Now you're in trouble though. No such thing as a Jeep that doesn't get a few mods - start saving up for an OME/Bilstein lift, larger tires, maybe some sliders. It's a disease!

Mine also has a slight knock on startup - but I haven't figured out if it is deep inside like rods or more on top as in the valve train. Goes away quickly and no other symptoms. As far as the high pitched whine...probably your PS pump. They're notorious for making a whining noise, especially in the winter when it's cold. Some have used an additive when they flush & refill the fluid.

And the rust you've noticed is not unusual. I used MonstaLiner truck bedliner on my roof after repairing the rust. No one sees the top and with various cargo I put up there and the scratches from tree branches while offroading it made sense to me to protect it. Not an original idea - I stole it from tjkj2002! :smokin:

Welcome again!

Bob

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Agree with the PS pump likely being the cause of the whining that you're hearing. Also, I've read that the mild knocking in the engine is kinda common during the winter months - mine does it too. I keep an extra close eye on fluids and levels this time of year to try to head off any issues before they occur.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine also makes the slight knocking when cold. Been doing it for over a year (probably longer) and hasn't gotten any worse. I poked around the engine compartment with a listening device, (14" long 3/4" diameter pvc pipe) trying to figure out where the knock was coming from. Couldn't hear it at all from the bottom of the engine, could slightly hear it on top, although the noise from the injectors and valve train was louder than the knock. After a couple minutes I couldn't hear the knock at all.

Only whining noises I hear in my Libby are when the kids are tired.

Wonder if it could be piston slap? My IH Scout does it on one front cylinder when cold and the 3.3l V-6 in our Toyota Sienna is rumored to have issue with piston slap, although I've never heard it on ours.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say check to see if the whining is still there after the ****** fluid swap. I'm banking on that to get rid of my current whining...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and nice black Renne. What part of NY are you from?

Dave

04 Silver Renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from one NY Renne to Another !! (What part)
The engine knock you have is normal in the cold weather. Just warm the engine up and it'll go away after a few minutes.
Rust issue is also normal. Just continue to clean and watch it so the cancer doesn't spread.
And just like what everyone else is saying, the whining is the PS pump...

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So get this - the high pitched whining in my engine was actually caused by two belt pulleys with bad bearings. Never knew it could make the whining, but my car sounds gorgeous. Along with the belt pulleys, I got my transmission flushed, front diff flushed, and transfer case flushed. Cost me all of 400 bucks and she purrs like a kitten now. :)

AKA - it had nothing to do with the PS pump.