New owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello from Chicago! Just bought a new Liberty '08 in Green Metallic. I used to own an '02 Grand Cherokee and loved it. I liked the older style of Liberty's but this new style has really grown on me. To me it looks like a mini Commander. The ride is improved from previous models ( co-worker has a 05 Limited) though the older models rode well the 08's are little smoother. More head room a little more leg room and just a little bigger over all. I wasn't to sure of the 3.7L but it seems too me that the power to weight ratio is a good match, though more power is always nice.
My wife traded in her 02 Chevy Tracker and couldn't be happier. :) She is a Jeep girl through and through, ever since I had my Grand she's always loved Jeeps and now she's part of the Jeep family. Whoo hoo.
Here's a couple of pictures of our new Liberty, the wife calls him Rukus.:D
Sorry the pics are from my cell phone. I'll get better pics in the future.

Attachments

• Pix001.jpg
    Pix001.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Pix002.jpg
    Pix002.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Pix003.jpg
    Pix003.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 52

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello from Chicago! Just bought a new Liberty '08 in Green Metallic. I used to own an '02 Grand Cherokee and loved it. I liked the older style of Liberty's but this new style has really grown on me. To me it looks like a mini Commander. The ride is improved from previous models ( co-worker has a 05 Limited) though the older models rode well the 08's are little smoother. More head room a little more leg room and just a little bigger over all. I wasn't to sure of the 3.7L but it seems too me that the power to weight ratio is a good match, though more power is always nice.
My wife traded in her 02 Chevy Tracker and couldn't be happier. :) She is a Jeep girl through and through, ever since I had my Grand she's always loved Jeeps and now she's part of the Jeep family. Whoo hoo.
Here's a couple of pictures of our new Liberty, the wife calls him Rukus.:D
Sorry the pics are from my cell phone. I'll get better pics in the future.

Nice color choice. I believe you are the second on the website with the new styling. Definitely an upgrade from a Tracker, huh.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats!! The KK looks rugged IMO. Regarding the room though does it just feel larger? I only say that because the specs on the KJ versus the KK for head room and leg room is:

HEAD ROOM
KJ = 40.8
kK = 40.4

LEG ROOM
KJ = 40.8
KK = 40.4

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome. Nice color choice. Any mods planned once you get it "broke in"??

Dave

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and replies. Yes, it does "feel" larger on the inside than the previous models, probably the geometry (square instead of round) makes it feel that way. Either way it feels that there is more room, more than my old Grand Cherokee. I actually am becoming a big fan of the 08's. Compared to my Grand Cherokee, the engine is more powerful, more room and obvious contemporary amenities ( Sirius radio ). All in all I'm happy with my purchase and look forward to trips up to the cabin.
As far as "mods" go, I would like to have a 2-3" lift on it larger tires, ARB or AEV bumper with integrated winch. But I think I'll be getting some kind of "liner" for the cargo and rear seats when folded down. My wife is a landscaper and has all her stuff in that area, plants, flowers, soil etc.:)

RickM

Reaction score
Congrats!! The KK looks rugged IMO. Regarding the room though does it just feel larger? I only say that because the specs on the KJ versus the KK for head room and leg room is:

HEAD ROOM
KJ = 40.8
kK = 40.4

LEG ROOM
KJ = 40.8
KK = 40.4

I traded an 04 Liberty for a new 08 Liberty.

I don't know what the specifications for head room and leg room say but...

I am 6'2" tall, and in the 04, I always had to have the seat all the way back to drive the car. With my 08, I can comfortably drive it without having the seat all the way back.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Jeep! If you ever get up to Packer country (real football territory :p ) let me know, I would like to see your KK in action.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Here are some comparison pics, not very good but it gives you a clue, to size and geometry.

Attachments

• liberty1.jpg
    liberty1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 29
  • liberty2.jpg
    liberty2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 30

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick breakdown of my Jeep's specs.

Command Trac II
Airbags: front/sides
Accident response system=dunno what that is
ESP
ABS
Speed traction control=dunno what that is
brake assist
hill assist
tire pressure warning
A/C
sentry key/theft deterrent
AM/FM 6 disc changer/MP3/WMA/Sirius Sat
vanity on both visors
headlamp off time delay
cargo compartment cover
power fold away mirrors= hm, I was looking for the switch or button for this one, but I guess I don't have "power" fold away just the power of my hand
Cust. Preferred Package 28B
front passenger fold flat seat
luxury mats
cargo cover
temp and compass
fog lamps
side roof rails
hill decent

TA DA!
This Jeep has pretty much everything we wanted with few exceptions like EVIC (which I loved in my Grand) and leather, plus I would like to see better handles for the doors interior. Other than that I find excuses to go for a drive. I think today the wife and I will go to one of Chicago's forest preserves and do some hiking ( I know it's sad that we need a forest preserve but I'll take what I can get in the city until we get a cabin in WI or somewhere maybe somewhere in upstate NY?):D

Last edited:

RickM

Reaction score
I think I can help you with some of those things..

Enhanced Accident Response System. If you are in an accident, this cuts off fuel to the engine, flashes the hazard lights, unlocks the doors, and turns on the interior lights which stay on as long as the battery has power or the ignition key is romoved.

Did you know that you also have an Event Data Recorder? The EDR records 5 seconds of specific vehicle data paramaters in the event data recorder prior to the moment of airbag deployment or dear deployment.

Speed Traction Control. That should read All Speed Traction Control.

Your mirrors fold away if someone or something bumbs them, instead of breaking off like the older cars did. The fold away function is not remotely controlled, but the mirror itself is. Remote controled or "power" mirrors are standard features.

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rick. I figured out the side mirror thing. Duh.:p Would be a nice feature though. The data stuff is interesting too.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Jeep. I like them too. Definitely much more rugged looking than any KJ, no matter the mods. (This is just my OPINION)

Anyway, RickM, if you haven't noticed by now, you were supposed to have a 4x4 badge on the rear. :)

... and who wouldn't want the seat as far back as possible? I wish my seat could go further back and I'm 5' 10".

RickM

Reaction score
I do have a 4X4 badge on the back. Someone else said they didn't have one, or they had removed it, or something, but I have one.

The reason I said that about the seat is because in my 04 KJ, I could not comfortably drive the care with the seat in any position but all the way back. With the seat in that position, it was hard for an adult to sit in the rear behind the drivers seat.

However, with the KK, even with the seat all the way back, there appears to be more "leg" room than in my 04 KJ. Also, I can pull the seat forward slightly and give the rear passenger a LOT more rear "leg" room and still drive it comfortably.

I guess I'm saying there is a lot more "Leg" room in the KK vs the KJ, or at least it appears to be that way.

And the reason I say "Leg" room is because my daughter pointed out that there appears to be less foot room because of the transmission/drive line hump. It sticks out into the foot area more on the KK vs the KJ.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
And the reason I say "Leg" room is because my daughter pointed out that there appears to be less foot room because of the transmission/drive line hump. It sticks out into the foot area more on the KK vs the KJ.

Hmm... ok, maybe I confused your post with someone else?

But anyway... that transmission hump does "seem" to be worse this time around, but I haven't spent enough time in one to really compare it. Either way, it's horribly large in both vehicles. :)

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys here are some pics I took this morning after taking the dog to play.

Attachments

• Rukus - 01.jpg
    Rukus - 01.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Rukus - 02.jpg
    Rukus - 02.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Rukus - 03.jpg
    Rukus - 03.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Rukus - 04.jpg
    Rukus - 04.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Rukus - 05.jpg
    Rukus - 05.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 14

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More

Attachments

• Rukus - 06.jpg
    Rukus - 06.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Rukus - 08.jpg
    Rukus - 08.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Rukus - 09.jpg
    Rukus - 09.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Rukus - 10.jpg
    Rukus - 10.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Rukus - 11.jpg
    Rukus - 11.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 18

rukusjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even more, these pics show the rear passenger at a recline position, you really can't tell from the pic but they're reclined.

Attachments

• Rukus - 12.jpg
    Rukus - 12.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 17
  • Rukus - 13.jpg
    Rukus - 13.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Rukus - 14.jpg
    Rukus - 14.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Rukus - 15.jpg
    Rukus - 15.jpg