New Owner: Random Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my Liberty (07 Sport) on Saturday and I'm trying to learn as much about it as I can. Some questions have popped up and I wasn't able to find any definitive answers by searching.

#1 - OIL[SOLVED]

What does everyone use and how frequent do you change it? In my last car, I used Mobil 1 Synthtic with a K&N Hi-flo filter and changed everything every 5k miles, roughly. I believe the Jeep guidelines are every 3k. Does everyone follow these guidelines or are people running synthetic for 5k miles? Does anyone recommend a specific brand of oil?

#2 - EVIC/OTIS

I've read a lot about this but it seems my needs are slightly different. All I want is temperature, compass and sunroof controls. I don't care about Homelink, TPMS or the display. MPG (in any form) would be gravy. Will any Chrysler unit work or do I have to find a Liberty-specific one? Will neither of them work? Reason I ask is cost concerns: I can pick up an Autodimm mirror with temperature/compass for less than a Liberty-specific EVIC/OTIS but more than a "generic" Chrysler.

#3 - Steering Wheel Controls [SOLVED]

I had them on my last car and its probably the one thing I'm missing the most. I've read a how-to concerning it but didn't see mention if it can co-exist with cruise control. Can it?

I think that is it for now. I truly appreciate the help.

-K

Last edited:

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#3 - Steering Wheel Controls

I had them on my last car and its probably the one thing I'm missing the most. I've read a how-to concerning it but didn't see mention if it can co-exist with cruise control. Can it?
Welcome to the Jeep KJ Country site, and congrats on the KJ!
Yup it can and if you want to install them yourself here is a great write up from our friends at LOST KJs.

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26532

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
(welcome) to JeepKJ Kevin!

To answer your question on the oil, Mobil 1 is a great choice, and it sounds like you know all about it's perks. I love the stuff so much, it's all i'll ever run in any vehicle parked in my driveway. As for the K&N high flow filter, thats up to you. I've never really bought into the max flow or high flow filter noise, and just run a regular Napa Gold filter, and i've had zero issues. I change mine every 3K, and lately have been doing 3K in about a month to a month and a half easy, so it gets changed quite often. I know I could probably stretch it out to 5K, but I prefer to do it every 3, just for peace of mind.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
As to the oil everyone will have their preference so I will just tell you what I do.

Mobil 1 ... 5w30 + a Mopar filter because I am still in warranty. I save all my receipts and keep a written record of date and miles of when I do anything to it. I just get the oil anywhere and the filter from the dealer as they give me a 10% discount on everything cause I bought skids and hooks etc, there. Then I run it for 4,500-5,000 miles and do it again. But that's me.

Welcome to the site and enjoy your Jeep.

Dave

Last edited:

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. A good amount of owners did used oil analysis to find the perfect oil and Mobil 1 performed the best for our cars (Mazda6). Ironically I used Mobil 1 and K&N exclusively until my last oil change when I was walking around Wal-Mart and found [Ford] Motorcraft Synthetic-blend (5qt jug plus 1qt bottle) and filter for under $20 - couldn't resist. As far as the K&N goes, the built-in nut on the end is super convenient and the cost wasn't too much if you bought in semi-bulk (like 3-4 at a time).

What's the deal with the Mopar filter during the warranty? Are you required to use Mopar or its just a personal thing? I have that lifetime power-train warranty so I plan on keeping meticulous records but if I'm required to use a Mopar filter, I guess I'll have to stock up on them...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with the Mopar filter during the warranty? Are you required to use Mopar or its just a personal thing? I have that lifetime power-train warranty so I plan on keeping meticulous records but if I'm required to use a Mopar filter, I guess I'll have to stock up on them...

That's just me........I figure if anything goes wrong they can't blame it on the filter......since I am doing it myself. They are only $5. and change so it's not like it cost a lot. I keep the change intervals in between the 3 and 6,000 schedules in the book. (mostly highway driving) So when I get 4,000 miles on the oil I start gathering the stuff I need and usually do it at around 4,500 or so but never over 5,000. It's just my comfort level. I check it in between. I also confirmed this is ok with the SM at the Dealer based on my driving. He also said they use a lot of Mobil 1 per customer request so no problem there. For the 05 MY (mine) they have a 7/70,000 powertrain warrenty. I never got the specifics on that, but I am guessing engine, ******, t-case and diff's and axles.

Don't use Fram oil filters.....they are supposedly not too good, but I havn't heard of a lot of people having problems with their engines from using them so I don't know......Napa Gold, Wix. Purolater are good the last I read. Some others too but I don't remember at the moment.

Dave

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using 5 quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic and a purolator pureone filter for my last two oil changes and everything's been great, no problems. I usually change the oil every 6 months or so, in preparation for winter in October and then in preparation for summer in April. I've been averaging less than 3K for every 6 months so far, so it may be a little soon to change the oil & filter, but I like changing the filter every 3K or 6 months, since filters can get worn down and it gives me piece of mind. I would let it go up to 5K and 6 months though if need be, but not higher than 5K. As far as Fram filters go, I've been reading the same bad reputation about them online for a while, but I've been using a Fram oil filter on my 1992 camry 4cyl for the past 4 years (changes every 6 months & 2-2.5K as well) and not had a single problem, and those engines are notorious for sludging up at high mileage, so I think they're good but that's just me.