New owner, general questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just bought an '04 Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7 auto. So far it's a nice ride. I'm hoping for a reliable daily driver, as well as something that will still go in the snow.

Anyways, just a couple of questions since this is new to me.

Is there anything I need to check/go over right away? I've checked the oil and transmission fluid, both look clean and new. Also, I have seen the many comments about the ball joints, how long was this an issue for? I need to email Chrysler customer service and get a build sheet, since I have no idea what gears I have, or limited slip diff or not.

Also, it didn't come with floor mats. Any suggestions where to get a decent set? It is the clay colored interior.

Thanks!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!! And you will definitely like having the KJ when the snow flies...

I just went through the whole build sheet thing on mine... Go to a Jeep dealer if you have one locally and do it through them, no cost and its quicker. When you do it through the Jeep website they will want to talk to you and get proof of id and ownership to update their files before they will send you a build sheet.

I emailed them and it was like two weeks and then they started calling my phone number i provided on the contact form. I finally got a chance to talk to them and they said they couldn't release the info until they had proof of my id and ownership on file for the VIN i was requesting the build sheet for. I gave them all the info they wanted over the phone, purchase date, dealer name, my name, address, etc etc etc... And then they emailed me the build sheet in another 24 hours.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check the muffler bearing.

:D

Would that be right next to the blinker fluid? lol

Thanks for all the info!

One other question too...I notice it seems a bit noisier than I would have expected. Do these generally have somewhat of a growl to the motor when driving?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A happy Jeep is one that has regular inspections & maintenance/oil changes, and runs down the road with fresh synthetic fluids, gear oils, power steering ATF+4 fluid, with a clean air filter, and fresh spark plugs.:)
An Un-Happy Jeep will complain, moan, groan, wobble like it's drunk, and cost you much more than a bad date !
Here are some WeatherTech digital fit floor liners: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40507&highlight=weathertech&page=4

Weathertech Link:http://www.weathertech.com/service/

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One other question too...I notice it seems a bit noisier than I would have expected. Do these generally have somewhat of a growl to the motor when driving?

Yep, it's a bit nosier that what one might expect, a nice exhaust note for a 6....I kinda like it...:cool:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

Since the KJ is new to you it is best to begin by changing every fluid you can. Starting fresh with all the serviceable items means you know exactly what the vehicle has in it. It'll be a tad on the pricey side but the piece of mind you get in return should be very much worth it.

Front Diff - 75w90 or 75w140
Transmission / TC - ATF+4
Rear Diff - 75w90
Spark Plugs every 30K miles. stick with basic copper plugs
don't forget the PCV valve every 30K miles either.
Keep the oil changed
Also:
Don't forget the Brake Fluid
If you have an old turkey baster - you can suck out and replace the powersteering fluid as well.
Factory Brake pads are Ceramic - stick with those or Napa replacements when it's time
Toss old rotors, don't turn them.
the KJ is very reliable as a DD and one of the best snow vehicles I've driven. They are noisey at times (squeaky sway bar bushings / noisy powersteering pump in the winter) but the KJ won't let you down.

For the floor mats: Again the pricey option in Weathertech digital fit pieces. But they last forever and are the tray kind that won't let saltly snow water stain your carpet in the winter.

Most of my post is the same as LibertyTC's recommendations.

Last edited:

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, another Ohioan!!!! Are we rockin football this year or what. Well, okay, except for that northern town up there in the corner:D

yes, the libbys are, well IMO, extremely loud. That little 6 ****** sounds like an old threshing machine sometimes, I've got/had several GM 3.8 & 4.3's and they are super quite runners compared to the wifes Libby.
Definitely check everything. When you get the extra $$$, start changing out the fluids throughout to give yourself some peace of mind. Least that's what I'm doing ( I got 3 vehicles to maintain :confused:)

Make sure you use on G5 antifreeze ( dealer mainly has it, maybe Napa) it may cause problems if you use anything else.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the ball joints a weak area on the Liberty?

Mich vs OSU this weekend. Greatest rivarly in college football.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Are the ball joints a weak area on the Liberty?

Mich vs OSU this weekend. Greatest rivarly in college football.

Seems to be a hit or miss. Some would say yes, but of course there's others who have 150K-200K on all their original ball joints. For what it's worth, they HAVE been recalled.... three times.

karter

Reaction score
Go to the Jeep website , open tab-For Owners , look for box- About my vehicle , Recalls , add your vin # ,enter and the site will tell you if there are any outstanding recall items that need to be taken care of . 2005 Liberty's had 2 items , lower ball joints and a transmission gear shift recall .

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! thanks for all the responses! i will definitely check the VIN on chrysler's site.

i agree with changing the fluids upon new ownership of any used vehicle. the oil has been changed by the dealer already, so i'll just wait until it's due. the transmission fluid looks brand new also, and doesn't smell bad either.

fortunately it's got 2 brand new tires, and 2 others that look near new. bothers me a little that they aren't matched, but oh well...they'll do for now.

i was already thinking of checking the plugs. i poked around under the hood and noticed it appears these use a coil on plug system, is that correct? it looks like there's just the one fastener on each coil to hold it onto the plug, is that right?

about the only other thing i'm wondering about is if it's got a limited slip or not...but by the feel of it i would say no. is there a way to check w/o waiting on chrysler to email me the build sheet (axle tag or anything like that)?

so far i'm pretty impressed. i was originally looking other small suv's (ford escape primarily) but i have noticed that chryslers are generally better laid out and easier to work on than fords are. also, i got this for such a deal, that the closest escape i could find to this price was only 2wd.

only a few minor things i've noticed wrong with it....first off one of the rear headrests is missing a trim piece (didn't notice before cause it was down), and the cd-player is acting up. also, even though this was extremely clean inside and outside...it kinda smells funny. at first i thought it was just from the detailing chemicals, but i think now it was from the previous owner. i've noticed a few sticky spills down the chair rails, and there are a couple of stains on the floors. also, if you start looking deep into crevices and whatnot, you see dust and what appears to be foodcrumbs (yuck). i think the previous owner might have been somewhat of a slob. i'll keep cleaning it and spraying fabric freshener for a while...hopefully that will resolve the smell issue. (it does not smell mildewy or anything like that, so i don't think it's a flood vehicle.)

thanks again!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Shampoo the carpets a could of times, leave the windows down in the garage, and don't use the recirculation AC, and I think you'll be set! :D

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the transmission fluid looks brand new also, and doesn't smell bad either.
ATF+4, when new, is red in color. It's a dye. As the fluid ages the red dye dissipates and the fluid will appear light brown in color. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age.

A good way to tell if ATF+4 needs to be changed or not is to do the blotter test. Put a few drops of ATF+4(from the dipstick) on a clean paper towel. Wait about a minute, then examine the spot. If the fluid has spread out and is red or light brown in color, then the fluid is in satisfactory condition. But if the spot hasn't spread out and is dark brown in color, then the fluid is in need of a change.

Follow the little maintenance booklet that's in the owner's manual pouch. All the maintenance intervals are in there. :)

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol....i was wondering about that too. :)

checked the jeep.com site, no outstanding recalls, so that's good news.

i think i'll check the plugs, then just start doing a bit of maintenance as i go. nothing looks like it needs anything yet. even the serpentine belt looks pretty new. i guess the only other thing i still need to check are the balljoints.

thanks again all for the info! i get sort of obsessed about my cars, trying to learn everything i can, and generally work on them on my own, so i'm sure i'll pick up the necessary info as i go.

thanks again!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol....i was wondering about that too. :)

checked the jeep.com site, no outstanding recalls, so that's good news.

i think i'll check the plugs, then just start doing a bit of maintenance as i go. nothing looks like it needs anything yet. even the serpentine belt looks pretty new. i guess the only other thing i still need to check are the balljoints.

thanks again all for the info! i get sort of obsessed about my cars, trying to learn everything i can, and generally work on them on my own, so i'm sure i'll pick up the necessary info as i go.

thanks again!

Another obsessed Jeep owner.... (lol)

Dude we are all obsessed with our Jeep's... My wife calls the KJ here the Mistress because i spend too much time and money on her.

Latest posts

Members online