New noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've just noticed a new noise...I can best describe it as a muted popcorn popping sound. It occurs at slow rolling speeds and braking in city traffic. Any thoughts?

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill guess its the crap load of salt mn uses on the road trying to free itself from every nook and cranny of your jeep

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure about that...I thought I did a pretty good job of washing it every week, maybe I missed a spot.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Drivers one has some really really small grease spots on it. How long do you guys think I can go? Is it ok to use 4WD?

I'll replace it soon, but it might not be for a week or so.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't try that...

I'm not positive those were grease spots. When the boot breaks, would it usually leak along a seam or in random small spots?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
They should not leak at all if sealed, ie no boot tears or boot retaining clip holding or bent/broken.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove my front driveshaft cv joint until it was grinding. When I took it apart there no was boot at all, dust instead of grease and the cage was split in two with one half in small pieces. I think it took about three months. I think you'll be fine if you don't get it fixed this week. And if I remember correctly, there wasn't any play in the driveshaft when I replaced it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
HJ, look into Napa re-manufactured CV joint half shaft/axle.
Do it right the first time and buy a complete assembly with both inner and outer CV joints.

I will, I'll call them today. What do you mean by the complete assembly, the intermediate shaft and the regular CV?

Also, what about that play in the driveshaft at the transfer case end? Seemed like a 1/16".

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will, I'll call them today. What do you mean by the complete assembly, the intermediate shaft and the regular CV?

Also, what about that play in the driveshaft at the transfer case end? Seemed like a 1/16".

I would just do one at a time. if the driveshaft looks fine then don't worry about it. Replace your passenger side cv assembly and go from there. I would do the intermediate shaft as well.

Jeep Liberty Front Intermediate Shaft Dana 30a 02-07 | eBay

The remanufactured cv axle will only run you about $50 after you get the core charge back. Not bad really. I had a problem with one not lasting very long, but the replacement of the replacement is still going.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Noise is gone, or at least I can't hear it. Threw it into 4WD, just like normal. Maybe it was all the cargo I had in the back...a lot of things back there would sound just like it. Something to watch though.

Last edited:

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dangit. Mine has identical symptoms. It is a clicking from the front passenger side. It sounds like BB gun shooting a soda can, but only randomly at very low speeds (under 10mph). I hope its not an expensive part. I just changed my rear front drive shaft CV joint a couple months ago and that was a huge pain without a jack.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When I heard the noise, it was only at 20-40MPH and got worse when accelerating/braking. 4WD had no effect on it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dangit. Mine has identical symptoms. It is a clicking from the front passenger side. It sounds like BB gun shooting a soda can, but only randomly at very low speeds (under 10mph). I hope its not an expensive part. I just changed my rear front drive shaft CV joint a couple months ago and that was a huge pain without a jack.

Like rockymountain said above, the NAPA CV axles are about $50 after the core charge is refunded when you bring back your old one. I bought mine for $173.43 including tax - and when I returned the old axle the shop took $123 off my credit card. Presto - $50.43.

That price is for the driver's side. The passenger side is a couple of bucks more.

Bob