Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuffhappens

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Name is Darrell. Own a 2003 liberty limited. 200230 miles runs good. I take care of it. But lately it is running battery down if I let it sit a few days. New battery checked under load shows battery is good. Can remove key from ignition from any position. Was wondering if you all thought that it could be my ignition switch Was the culprit. Its been lime this for 2 years .also I read once about a free pdf download service Manual, is this still available? I appreciate any feedback on this .

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Darrell.
What battery do you have how many CCA is it rated at?
The 2003 factory service manual is located here: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2003JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
I'd consider replacing the ignition switch to start out with.
It could very well be a parasitic drain from the ignition switch or elsewhere. it's a matter of monitoring voltage & start to pull fuses etc.
A good battery should read 12.6 volts overnight.
One easy way to stop the drain while parked for a few days is to remove the JB power/ storage fuse.
Keep in mind cold weather effects batteries and a digital load tester like on a midtronics will give remaining CCA information.
Larger AGM (absorb glass mat) batteries perform way better in the cold.
If you remove the storage fuse, then in couple of days, use a volt meter (VOM) and see what it reads.
I use an Odyssey battery they last 10 years & like the cold!
See images below.

Attachments

• Storage Fuse.jpg
    Storage Fuse.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 6
  • AGM Battery State of Charge.jpg
    AGM Battery State of Charge.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being able to pull the ignition key out in any position means the tumblers are worn...and likely the keys are also worn!
I have this exact problem on my Export 2002 which I will attend to sometime.;)

It entails getting new tumblers and maybe new keys and have them cut....keys need to be chipped keys and programmed by Dealers or some Locksmiths.

So when I turn off the ignition I make sure I do not rotate the key any further as it could go to the accessory position which can cause a drain on the battery.

The ignition switch itself I doubt has anything to do with it!

Michael Noland

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue on my 2005 CRD. Haven't gotten around to pulling fuses and checking amp draw.

I had an issue with door locks not working. My mechanic charged me $170 and told me it would take $1200 to replace the mechinism and rekey the vehicle. On the way home, the radio wasn't working, so I replaced that fuse, and suddenly the door locks work. My mechanic wanted to buy my Jeep.

Stuffhappens

Reaction score
I found the problem. The rear wiper motor burned out a few months ago and I have not changed it so I di a parasitic drain test and sure enough every 30 seconds or so it would hit over 90 mv for 10 seconds. Guess it's trying to park the wiper blade. Pulled fuse in the 19 slot and it pulled 0mv now. Thanks guys love this place I have learned so much on here about liberty on here.first one I have owned wont be the last.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well there is one thing I should never have to worry about then
The 04s rear wiper has never been used
the 03s and 05s have never been used since they have been with me

Latest posts

Members online