New Member Intro - Getting Lifted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hiroller

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I've been lurking and reading over the past few days and wanted to introduce myself. I've owned nothing but Wranglers (TJ's and YJ's) for over 10 years but just purchased an 05 Liberty sport the other day. I never thought I'd own a Liberty, but due to our current daily driving habits and additional passengers my wife would occasionally drive around, we decided to stick with Jeep but try a Liberty this time for practicality purposes. My wife is under the impression that we're now going to get much better gas mileage too :D Even before shopping around, I was already on here and LOST researching my options since I'm a lift addict.

I'm already planning my lift (based on the research I've done) and wanted some feedback from you folks on what you think. Here it goes:

Lift: Rusty's 2.5" Suspension Kit w/Rancho RSX 17004 Rear Shocks (Unless OME's are available)
Wheels: Cragar Soft 8's - 16x7 - 4" BS
Tires: 265/70/16 - Brand Undecided but probably BFG's
Misc: JBA A-Arms (needed right now?)
Misc: 2" Conduit Lock Nuts (needed?)

I have no plans to off-road for awhile but when the time comes (probably a year or two from now) I'll most likely add anything else I need for the trail.

My current main objective is a little more height, a little larger tires and a slightly wider wheel stance. What do you think of the above setup? Since I wanted a wider wheel base and possibly less rubbing, I believe the Cragars with a 4" BS would be a good route to go based on what I've seen and read. Does that make sense?

Great forum here and a great group. Thanks all!

Hiroller

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you want to go with Rustys, OME springs are way better, will last longer, are better engineered etc. With some shopping around can be had for the (almost) same price. With the 265s your gas mileage will go way south, staying with a more conservative 245-75 X16 it will not be as bad, not much difference in heighth but enough to make a difference. JBA arms are not needed but do help, I have over 45000 on my lift and no JBA arms and no problems. Also you talk about less rubbing but even with 245-75X16s people some get rubbing bigger the tire the more cutting you will have to do

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusty's spring will eventually sag, go with OME HD springs. Stick with 245/75R16 tires and Rancho or OME shocks are good. You probably won't need Al's A-arms, unless you go higher. You can add a clevis if you want, wouldn't go more than 3-rings. Add 1 upper isolator pad to the rear to even it out. You should be okay with the wheels.

hiroller

Reaction score
Cool - thanks for the feedback. Is there a place I can order the OME's by themselves?

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME HD front springs: OME927
OME med front springs: OME926
OME HD rear springs: OME948
OME med rear springs: OME947

Search google for those part numbers and you will find many suppliers.

Rancho shocks front: RSX17505
Rancho shocks rear: RSX17004 (for stock dodge durango/dokota)

hiroller

Reaction score
Thanks for the info - I'll most likely go with the OME springs. I'm going to order all the components bit by bit over the next month or two until I have the complete kit.

Now if I don't plan on adding a new bumper/winch, would there be any drawbacks from going with the hard springs vs the mediums?

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info - I'll most likely go with the OME springs. I'm going to order all the components bit by bit over the next month or two until I have the complete kit.

Now if I don't plan on adding a new bumper/winch, would there be any drawbacks from going with the hard springs vs the mediums?

HD springs will give you more lift if you don't add a bumper/winch. Many people on LOST run HD OME without bumpers for the extra lift. I think they cost the same so I would just go with the HD ones. Don't get them at Rocky Road!!! You will never get them....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
you can not get longer struts for the front all are the same lenghth as stock, if you are never going to get a heavy bumper then you can go with mediums but will only get about two to maybe 2 1/4 inches of lift

tdamocles

Reaction score
you can not get longer struts for the front all are the same lenghth as stock, if you are never going to get a heavy bumper then you can go with mediums but will only get about two to maybe 2 1/4 inches of lift

Would the Heavy duty springs get you more lift? If the stockers(struts) aren't any longer...than why not just stay with the originals and just install springs just to make it more economical?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the Heavy duty springs get you more lift? If the stockers(struts) aren't any longer...than why not just stay with the originals and just install springs just to make it more economical?
The OME and Rancho struts are a little longer then the stock ones,not much but they have more travel(about a 3/8"-1/2" or so).The stock struts are not that good and wear out fast.You'd be amazed on the ride after replacing the suspension with quality parts like OME and Rancho.If you use the Daystar upper strut plates it lowers the strut to get the whole range back after lifting.

The coil springs give the lift and weight bearing capicity,and are responsible for about 25% or so of the quality of ride.The struts/shocks are the main factor in the ride quality since they directly control the dampaning of the coil spring in compresion and rebound.Stock struts/shocks are no longer able to properly control the lifted coils,plus for the rear you need longer shocks anyway after lifting otherwise you will just ruin the shocks very fast.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OME and Rancho struts are a little longer then the stock ones,not much but they have more travel(about a 3/8"-1/2" or so).The stock struts are not that good and wear out fast.You'd be amazed on the ride after replacing the suspension with quality parts like OME and Rancho.If you use the Daystar upper strut plates it lowers the strut to get the whole range back after lifting.

The coil springs give the lift and weight bearing capicity,and are responsible for about 25% or so of the quality of ride.The struts/shocks are the main factor in the ride quality since they directly control the dampaning of the coil spring in compresion and rebound.Stock struts/shocks are no longer able to properly control the lifted coils,plus for the rear you need longer shocks anyway after lifting otherwise you will just ruin the shocks very fast.

Which Rancho struts should I get the 9000, 5000, or the RSX?