New KJ Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick B

Reaction score
So, we have a new-to-us 2004 (technically purchased in 2003) Jeep Liberty. It only has about 65K drive miles, but it has about 185K "towed-behind-a-motorhome" miles...whew!

It has a 2" spacer lift on 29" AT's with stock skids...enough to get it through a couple decent Colorado trails so far.

I registered here a while back to read up on suspension options - the front coilovers appear to be original and I also can't stand "spacers" to achieve lift.

Anyhoo, read some VERY informative threads so far - so thank you guys/gals for that! Can't wait to learn more as we move this build along...but so far we've replaced the failing stock radio unit, removed the motor home towing apparatus, added some front recovery points, and we just recently added some 1" wheel spacers.

Next up is replacing the coilovers (with OME) and upper control arms (JBA), all of this probably in the next week.

This is my 2nd Jeep (owned a 1999 XJ) and my 3rd lifted vehicle...so I'm not new to the mod/lift 4-wheeling scene.

On to the pics!

The day we got it:
You must be registered for see images attach

New radio:

Front recovery points:

1" wheel spacers installed:

And the 1st trail run to get a feeling for this beast - Yankee Hill, CO:

Last edited:

Rick B

Reaction score
Previous owner indicated it was the cheapest lift he could get that included rear coils and extended length shocks - maybe Rough Country? I looked when we originally got it, but it's totally slipping my mind.

I'll look again when I get a chance. It doesn't ride nice, but it did flex well on a couple trails.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes spacer lifts are a joke, bad ride, wears out suspension parts faster
but some people still buy them for some reason. LOL
You'll love the ride of OME once you get them and new shocks installed

octafish

Reaction score
Lookin’ sharp my man!

Question - Which 1” wheel spacers did you go with? Do they rub at all?

I’m trying to add a slightly wider stance but don’t want to end up doing additional mods, which is what I suspect happens past 1” spacer.

My tires are 235/65R17.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lookin’ sharp my man!

Question - Which 1” wheel spacers did you go with? Do they rub at all?

I’m trying to add a slightly wider stance but don’t want to end up doing additional mods, which is what I suspect happens past 1” spacer.

My tires are 235/65R17.

Unlifted you will run into issues when using spacers to " widen " your width

octafish

Reaction score
Unlifted you will run into issues when using spacers to " widen " your width

I have the 2.5” OME lift with shocks & struts.

Additional question - What spacer do I need for the front suspension to eliminate the “nose down” look?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the 2.5” OME lift with shocks & struts.

Additional question - What spacer do I need for the front suspension to eliminate the “nose down” look?
IF you have the OME 927/948 combo it should be sitting level
if you want the front up some, just do a clevis lift ( 3/8 inch clevis lift will raise the front 3/4 of an inch, if less then just raise 1/4 inch for 1/2 inch more lift ) then alignment afterwards of course
Cheap, costs nothing but time and works great

octafish

Reaction score
Thanks Tommudd! I'm going to measure from center of wheel to lower portion of flare to see what the exact lift-up front is.

Which 1" spacer do you recommend to get that wider stance without having to mod anything?