New kj owner needs help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wgrogers

Reaction score
I have a 2005 liberty sport and during acceleration up to about 60 there is a bad vibration that is hard to locate. Front wheel boots are not torn and rear drive shaft is solid with no extra movement at all. I recently removed the front drive shaft because the seals were bad and just haven't put a new one in. I noticed that tire tread on left side is great, front right is worn more in the middle and right rear would not pass inspection. Any ideas of what could be my problem?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 liberty sport and during acceleration up to about 60 there is a bad vibration that is hard to locate. Front wheel boots are not torn and rear drive shaft is solid with no extra movement at all. I recently removed the front drive shaft because the seals were bad and just haven't put a new one in. I noticed that tire tread on left side is great, front right is worn more in the middle and right rear would not pass inspection. Any ideas of what could be my problem?

So could be tires , unbalanced due to wear etc,
Could be the Intermediate shaft / CV going bad
Could be rear ujoints, just cause they feel tight doesn't mean they aren't bad. What happens is they rust solid inside and then wear out. Pull it and look over plus the CV/ intermediate shaft on the right side
You do know you can rebuild the front driveshaft , right ?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be the rear upper control arm/tri-link/boomerang is bad. If the bushing(s) are shot, it can allow the pinion end of the rearend to lift, which throws off the pinion angles, causing driveline vibrations. This is precisely what mine was doing, and a new boomerang fixed the vibration issue.

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ That! Almost same with a buddy's '03 KJ.

chanwmr

Reaction score
I had my rear support bushings replaced right after I got the new 2007. It didn't get to the point of shaking but it was definitely shot. Doesn't hurt to take a look.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires first...even cheap tires mounted and balanced would be better than what you are describing as your current situation...then work up in order of expensiveness until you find the solution...