New Jeep owner and bad luck... need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettrue

Reaction score
Hi all! New here, been lurking a bit.

Ok, so I bought an '03 Jeep Liberty a month ago... a week later (exactly), my teenage daughter got in an accident taking a left on a flashing yellow. She was OK, jeep was hit on the front right, right on the passenger wheel. Some suspension damage, needed a new wheel, it was actually hit so hard the wheel was bent. I didn't have full coverage (yet, long story), and to save money I found "a guy" to fix it on the side. He did a great job for the most part, but the airbag light is on now, and his fancy expensive scanner couldn't read the codes. I think he's a little old school and needs some updates, but that's neither here nor there. He's recommended someone to help me with the airbag light, but I'm trying to do some research myself.

I bought the BlueDriver app to try and read codes. Here's where I am lost. I am not a mechanic. There's a lot of codes that deal with the ABS system. When I brought that up, the guy that worked on the jeep said "you didn't have ABS brakes installed". Again, I bought it used, but I didn't know antilock breaks were optional? Also, the ABS light isn't on, just the airbag light.

I will post the photos here soon of all the enhanced codes that popped up. From what I can see, none of them refer to airbags. Also, these ABS codes only show up randomly. Most of the time, I scan and no codes show up at all.

I want to get this checked ASAP, the airbag light is freaking me out, I don't want to drive with a disabled airbag system. Again, I'll upload the photos of the codes, and hopefully it will make sense to someone.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Any decent shop with a high end Snap On scanner, or the dealer with a Star Scan tool, should be able to assist for both ABS as well as air bag light /codes department.
I agree you want to ensure you have an operative air bag.
Having a proper diagnostic is now important enough to find professionals & equipment to complete the task.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...

Lots of codes. Never saw so many seemingly random codes. But I think there is one or two root causes that trip so many codes. Computers report out of spec readings but you must figure out what is causing them. I would check carefully for wiring harness damage as this came about as result of an accident. Could be damage to wires or unplugged connector. Keep us informed as to what you find.

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it was hit in the front right the tcm is over there if it is a 03.5 or less if it is an 03.5 and up it wont have any computer control over there... i had a simialr hit but my bags didnt go off... i fixed it all up for less then a G and i am on the road again .. none the less i need to rip thew whole front off again and redo the clip but thats me im **** ... i would start by checking pig tails and maybe getting the pcm tcm ecm checked out by a proper tool ... most "shops" have a scanner but not a good one .. you will need a snap on solus or star scanner like above poster.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for ABS, it was optional on the front, my '05 doesn't have it. Just look for wires leading from front wheel bearing area, probably best to look on side that wasn't damaged, in case Mr.FixItCheap didn't replace with correct parts.
It's also possible air bag sensor wasn't replaced or re-connected.

jettrue

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I brought it to a specialty place that deals with airbag issues. They couldn't get it to communicate with their tools either. They determined the ACM just needed to be replaced. We found a used one nearby and now the airbag light is gone.

I think the ABS issue was just a glitch. My bluetooth scanner only threw those codes once or twice, and most of the time it would show no errors at all. I think it's just that ABS brakes aren't installed, and some glitch had the codes showing up?

I am having issues though with P0171 and P0174 codes intermittently. The check engine light came on the day after I bought it. I thought perhaps it could have been that it sat for 4 months on the lot, and things kind of gummed up? I bought some of that additive for gas and after driving a couple tanks, the light went off, but I see a pending P0171 and P0174 this morning.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I brought it to a specialty place that deals with airbag issues. They couldn't get it to communicate with their tools either. They determined the ACM just needed to be replaced. We found a used one nearby and now the airbag light is gone.

I think the ABS issue was just a glitch. My bluetooth scanner only threw those codes once or twice, and most of the time it would show no errors at all. I think it's just that ABS brakes aren't installed, and some glitch had the codes showing up?

I am having issues though with P0171 and P0174 codes intermittently. The check engine light came on the day after I bought it. I thought perhaps it could have been that it sat for 4 months on the lot, and things kind of gummed up? I bought some of that additive for gas and after driving a couple tanks, the light went off, but I see a pending P0171 and P0174 this morning.

Those two codes indicate the fuel/air mixture is lean. Too frequently the O2 sensors are replaced when the problem is actually vacuum leaks; the 171 indicates the left bank and the 174 indicates the right bank. Since it sat for so long wouldn't be surprised if some of the vacuum lines have cracked and are leaking.

Bob

jettrue

Reaction score
Those two codes indicate the fuel/air mixture is lean. Too frequently the O2 sensors are replaced when the problem is actually vacuum leaks; the 171 indicates the left bank and the 174 indicates the right bank. Since it sat for so long wouldn't be surprised if some of the vacuum lines have cracked and are leaking.

Bob
Yes, actually the CEL came on the day after I bought it from the dealership, so I brought it in, they changed some lines, changed the manifold gasket, and the light came RIGHT back on day after I got it back from them, then the accident that same afternoon. Now it's past the 30 days from the dealership and honestly I don't trust them to take care of it at this point (and it's a bit of a drive).

But I did read here that it could just need a fuel system clean:
P0171 and P0174 - OBD-II Trouble Codes

Common Problems That Trigger the P0171 and P0174 Code

PCM software needs to be updated
Vacuum leaks (Intake Manifold Gaskets, vacuum hoses, PCV hoses, etc.)
Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
Plugged Fuel Filter or weak Fuel Pump
Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors

Common Misdiagnosis

Oxygen Sensors

Since it's gotten better (the CEL light actually hasn't come back on yet, my scanner says it's pending codes), I think I'll just run another tank with the cleaning solution, then go from there and see what happens. My gas mileage seems to be good, averaging 23-24mpg.