New Jeep, new issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epyon

Reaction score
Well, as I posted in the introduction thread, I just bought an '06 Jeep Liberty. After driving it a whopping week, the check engine light comes on, so I took it to my local Jeep dealer, who promptly told me that the Intake valves and keepers needed replaced and that it would be $1508. So this repair is apparently going to cost me 10% of what I payed for the vehicle with the fees and what not.

I did some research, and apparently this is a known issue with every Liberty up through '09.

How hard is it to do yourself? Anyone know anyone local to the greater Dayton (Ohio) area that does the repair for a bit more reasonable price?

Needless to say my enthusiasm for the Jeep brand has just dipped. :freak3:

bhannah

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the repair needed.
So you got a 6 year old vehicle with how many miles on it?
I understand the frustration with a repair like this, I know I had mine 6 days and crashed it, but I think you could have run into a situation like this with a 6 year old Ford or any other vehicle.
Take care and good luck with the repair.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy it? Does your state have any kind of used car warranty laws? I know when I lived in MA the seller was responsible for providing a minimum warranty of something like 30-90 days, whether it's a private seller or dealer. I would be on the phone with whoever you got it from rippin' pissed and having them pay for the repair. Known problem or not, that's ridiculous for a vehicle that was sold a week ago...unless of course you signed something saying it was an as-is sale...then yea, you might be SOL.

Also...you paid $15,000 for an '06 Liberty?? Is my math right?? ...$1,500 is 10% of $15,000. That thing better only have like 20,000 miles on it and should be mint...not giving you problems. My '06 Liberty was $11,500, and that was almost 2 years ago, with 61,300 miles on it.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the code?

If it was for random misfires not related to fuel or ignition, try some Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Spray it slowly in the throttle body while the engine is idling hot. Then immediately shut it off and let it sit for a couple hours. After that, take it out, warm it up, and drive it hard.