New Jeep - Help with Mods (Bull Bar/Hitch)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willabbott

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the group and the Jeep community.

We just picked a used '05 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD Diesel. The Diesel was what attracted us to the Jeep, before we weren't even really looking at Jeeps. But the motor and true 4WD attracted us, and the fact we could keep it for a while.

Anyways, we are considering doing a few modifications to it, to make it a little more off road worth, but mostly for the appearances to make it a little more cool looking.

We were thinking of a Bull Bar or Brush Guard. Looking to add a winch and some better tires etc...

The Bull Bar is mostly for lights, etc.

What I haven't been able to find is can a bull bar and front receiver hitch be mounted together? It looks like they use different mount points, but I'm also afraid they might interfere with each other?

Would like to put something up front to help protect the front end, serve as a mount point for lights, and just make the rig look a little more aggressive. If push comes to shove, I'd chose the front hitch over the bar just because it will serve for a winch mount point, as well as recovery point.

Looking for any info anyone has on mounting the two together, or any brush gaurd/bumper that doesn't cost a fortune that will work with a front hitch. Love the look of the ARB bumper, but no way I'll be able to talk the wife into $1500 for a bumper no matter how awesome it looks.

Thanks!

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the group and the Jeep community.

First of all, welcome aboard!

Love the look of the ARB bumper, but no way I'll be able to talk the wife into $1500 for a bumper no matter how awesome it looks.

Nah, that's easy, just 'accidentally' drop something heavy on the plastic bumper, and crack it. "Oh, wow, that'll never hold up off road... we need a real steel bumper!" :gr_grin:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"....and honey, the ONLY people making a bumper for such an old Jeep these days is ARB!"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
"....and honey, the ONLY people making a bumper for such an old Jeep these days is ARB!"

Not the only one but :emotions34:

To the OP check out Detours Off road, they have a winch mount that works great with stock front bumper
Be prepared to upgrade the suspension as well though since throwing the extra weight up front will finish off the stock springs and shocks even though it is a CRD
KJ/KK Backbone Bumper System™
Detours is very happy to introduce a new concept in front recovery for your KJ. We call it The BackBone Bumper System, in other words, it gives your rig the BackBone it takes for winch mounting and recovery. Fabricated & formed from 5/16" steel plate, your winch will rest firm and secure on its platform complete with fare-lead mount. Below that, there are two 3/4" thick 'D' ring mounting areas welded into place for recovery. Once mounted, your original bumper skin gets modified and reused to conceal the system using our adjustable bracket system which mounts to stock holes already located in your stock bumper skin.

Those brush guards etc they sell are junk, will not hold up to anything, mount where your tow hooks are suppose to mount so stay away and upgrade don't downgrade

Another thing to consider, although you may think an ARB or other aftermarket bumper is expensive think about this, after rearending a Toyota Camry, 4 Deer and a 3/4 ton Chev pickup mine is still going ( although on another KJ since I sold the bumper) . Now if I had a stock bumper with each hit say costing me 500 for my share of the repairs, that would be over 3000 bucks. Do upgrades to make your KJ better just not for looks.

Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the only one but :emotions34:

To the OP check out Detours Off road, they have a winch mount that works great with stock front bumper
Be prepared to upgrade the suspension as well though since throwing the extra weight up front will finish off the stock springs and shocks even though it is a CRD
KJ/KK Backbone Bumper System™
Detours is very happy to introduce a new concept in front recovery for your KJ. We call it The BackBone Bumper System, in other words, it gives your rig the BackBone it takes for winch mounting and recovery. Fabricated & formed from 5/16" steel plate, your winch will rest firm and secure on its platform complete with fare-lead mount. Below that, there are two 3/4" thick 'D' ring mounting areas welded into place for recovery. Once mounted, your original bumper skin gets modified and reused to conceal the system using our adjustable bracket system which mounts to stock holes already located in your stock bumper skin.

Those brush guards etc they sell are junk, will not hold up to anything, mount where your tow hooks are suppose to mount so stay away and upgrade don't downgrade

Another thing to consider, although you may think an ARB or other aftermarket bumper is expensive think about this, after rearending a Toyota Camry, 4 Deer and a 3/4 ton Chev pickup mine is still going ( although on another KJ since I sold the bumper) . Now if I had a stock bumper with each hit say costing me 500 for my share of the repairs, that would be over 3000 bucks. Do upgrades to make your KJ better just not for looks.

Someone hit the front of my Renegade and didn't leave a note or any witnesses busting my front bumper and lower part of front fender flare, Just going to wait a little longer and get an ARB to replace this and for cheaper than repairing the damage.

willabbott

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. Sounds like we should just aim for the front hitch and call it good... There's just no way we are going to spring for the ARB bumper... not at this time anyways.

But the front hitch and winch mount I think is a no brainer. It allows the winch to be mounted to the rear (versatility) or to get it out of the way, also allows removal of the winch for when it isn't needed (daily driving), etc... just makes sense.

The Bull Bar or similar would be nice for the looks and as a mounting point for some lights... guess will just have to mount them to the hitch or underside of the bumper, and mount to the roof rack in some manner.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. Sounds like we should just aim for the front hitch and call it good... There's just no way we are going to spring for the ARB bumper... not at this time anyways.

But the front hitch and winch mount I think is a no brainer. It allows the winch to be mounted to the rear (versatility) or to get it out of the way, also allows removal of the winch for when it isn't needed (daily driving), etc... just makes sense.

The Bull Bar or similar would be nice for the looks and as a mounting point for some lights... guess will just have to mount them to the hitch or underside of the bumper, and mount to the roof rack in some manner.

So you didn't like the Detours setup? :shrug:Great place to mount lights and a winch, way stronger than a front hitch setup. Plus setup like that is good for straight pulls only really, off side can create a lot of stress.

willabbott

Reaction score
So you didn't like the Detours setup? :shrug:Great place to mount lights and a winch, way stronger than a front hitch setup. Plus setup like that is good for straight pulls only really, off side can create a lot of stress.

It's not bad, it certainly looks like a solid setup. But it doesn't help you if you need to winch from behind... not to mention it requires cutting into a perfectly good bumper... not exactly great for resale value without leaving it on... and then it's only resale is to someone who wants to use it off road.

I didn't see much room left for lights once a winch is mounted either...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not bad, it certainly looks like a solid setup. But it doesn't help you if you need to winch from behind... not to mention it requires cutting into a perfectly good bumper... not exactly great for resale value without leaving it on... and then it's only resale is to someone who wants to use it off road.

I didn't see much room left for lights once a winch is mounted either...

Plenty of room for lights, I'd rather have one solid mounted winch than a hitch mounted one. Just personal choice since I've seen what can happen with hitch mounts

willabbott

Reaction score
Plenty of room for lights, I'd rather have one solid mounted winch than a hitch mounted one. Just personal choice since I've seen what can happen with hitch mounts

Yeah, interesting... Don't get me wrong... Im not trying to be argumentative or anything... just trying to learn and understand the options etc.

I've never heard anything bad about a hitch mounted winch, in fact one of the shops I talked to agreed that it was a good way to go being one of the best, since it allowed modularity, etc. It seems to me a hitch is built pretty darn tough...

I'd be interested to know what has/can happen with them... seems a very popular way to mount a winch on a lot of rigs.

The Detours does looks like a good solid setup... I just don't see how I could bring myself to cut a big old (un reparable without replacement) gaping hole in my bumper. Can't ever remove it then, or would have to go find and buy a new bumper (probably not the easiest thing to find for a 10 year old vehicle.

It hinders resale value except to someone who wants to off road. (so limits your buyers)

The ARB is pretty awesome looking, but way to expensive... It's not like we're going to be off roading all the time... it's more likely a once or twice a year sort of thing... and not some serious off roading...

I'm not even sure if we will end up doing a 2.5" lift... though the local shop said they could do one for $500.00

Just trying to find the best option for our needs. I guess we might have to just go without a winch, and hope we never need one... odds are we probably won't... I just thought a hitch mount and winch would allow winching backwards if needed, allow removal when not in use, and give us some added security when doing more adventerous stuff of being able to pull ourselves out, but also the ability to say pull a tree off the road, or some firewood up a hill, etc.

Not to mention being on 10 acres of property, a winch might come in handy anyways. I've used the one on the 4wheeler (atv) probably about 2-4 times last year for felling a tree, etc...

Thanks for the info so far... lots to look at. Maybe we can eventually spring for the ARB bumper... What do guys do if they have to winch something behind them, when your winch is permanent to the front?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
500 for the install of a lift or 500 for the lift itself?
Good lift you will have 750-800 just in springs and shocks alone without labor, easy to install though
Hitch mounted winces are ok for straight line pulls, if you need one off to the side is when issues could be.
ARB bumper is not just for off road. I was on road when I hit all of the Deer, Camry etc :icon_lol:

willabbott

Reaction score
500 for the install of a lift or 500 for the lift itself?
Good lift you will have 750-800 just in springs and shocks alone without labor, easy to install though
Hitch mounted winces are ok for straight line pulls, if you need one off to the side is when issues could be.
ARB bumper is not just for off road. I was on road when I hit all of the Deer, Camry etc :icon_lol:

Hmm... yeah it was a local shop that was recommended to me... he quoted me 500 installed, including alignment... I thought it seemed pretty good price... must be maybe just a lift of the stock suspension maybe?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... yeah it was a local shop that was recommended to me... he quoted me 500 installed, including alignment... I thought it seemed pretty good price... must be maybe just a lift of the stock suspension maybe?
Sounds like a spacer lift. If so. RUN.

willabbott

Reaction score
Sounds like a spacer lift. If so. RUN.

That's what I was just starting to think... sounds like they aren't bad if you just want a lift, but if you want a good lift, and will actually use it off road, they not good... at least that's the impression I've been getting...

If you want looks, it's fine, if you want looks and function, pass... :)

I might have to call them back and ask them about a true lift. I was expecting closer to $1,000-1,5000 installed.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was just starting to think... sounds like they aren't bad if you just want a lift, but if you want a good lift, and will actually use it off road, they not good... at least that's the impression I've been getting...

I might have to call them back and ask them about a true lift. I was expecting closer to $1,000-1,5000 installed.
Well the spacers won't make your ride or handling better since most reuse the stock springs. Glad you are thinking th is through!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

They are bad , period. Between using stock springs and shocks they speed up wear on all suspension parts
check jeepinbyal for all lift needs

willabbott

Reaction score
They are bad , period. Between using stock springs and shocks they speed up wear on all suspension parts
check jeepinbyal for all lift needs

Cool, hadn't seen that site before... looks like a LOT of good parts...

So since we've been on the subject, what do people think of the Skid plates, and other 4xguard parts sold by jeepynbyal, including the brush guard?

Jeep Liberty KJ Brush Guard mounting platform

Looks like a pretty solid setup and includes tow points and a hitch point for a winch.

Little less than an ARB, but more solid looking to me than a standard brush guard or tow hitch.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4xguard skid plates are tough and high quality. I run the Trans skid right now and that thing is a beast.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool, hadn't seen that site before... looks like a LOT of good parts...

So since we've been on the subject, what do people think of the Skid plates, and other 4xguard parts sold by jeepynbyal, including the brush guard?

Jeep Liberty KJ Brush Guard mounting platform

Looks like a pretty solid setup and includes tow points and a hitch point for a winch.

Little less than an ARB, but more solid looking to me than a standard brush guard or tow hitch.

JBA skids. lifts etc are all well built. I have one of the brush guards in the basement that I used for testing on the 05-07 models. Heavy duty mounting, good tow points . Ran it on mine for a while after testing after I sold the ARB

willabbott

Reaction score
JBA skids. lifts etc are all well built. I have one of the brush guards in the basement that I used for testing on the 05-07 models. Heavy duty mounting, good tow points . Ran it on mine for a while after testing after I sold the ARB

So it would be a good alternative to a cheap brush guard and tow hitch and less costly than the arb. Guess I'll have to see if wife likes it and start saving money.

Latest posts

Members online