New front end strut assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4illustrator

Reaction score
Ok guys, so I decided to tackle the front struts. It took me forever to get the passenger's side completed, but now I know the trick of it....and I don't think this is made clear anywhere because I've searched and looked in vain.

The major and only problem was separating the bottom fork from the strut assembly.

First I unbolted the upper ball joint and gave the knuckle a whack with my sledge. Next I unbolted the pinch bolt on the fork, then the lower fork bolt. I broke the retaining clip on this bolt. None of these bolts came off with my impact gun by the way. I live in the north east and my Libby is 11 years old with original equipment. I sprayed all with Deep Creep (love the name). Everything had to be cracked with a breaker bar and pipe. I kept the assembly bolted in under the hood.

Now to separate the fork from the assembly.....There just did not seem to be enough room to do this. Finally I took a long heavy digging bar (5' long steel bar) layed it on the bottom control arm and pried this down by stepping on it.
Voila! So Easy!
There was easily enough room to pull off the fork! I then unbolted the old assembly and installed the new one. Stepped on the bar once again to lower the control arm and inserted the assembly into the fork. No ratchet straps or removal of other components.

Now I just have to replace the lower bolt on the fork, and tackle the drivers side. I am by no means a mechanic but I can count this as one more successful repair with my own hands because of the great info coming from this forum. Thank you all.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well its not that hard but ya got it done so all is good !!
Did you remove the tie rod ends, sway bar end links , brakes ( calipers etc ) ?
I remove all of them and makes it super simple and only takes a very few minutes ( even by hand )

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve cheated on one set up in the past where the strut assembly was rusted to the fork cup.
Install the pinch bolt backwards and use a smaller nut or scrap metal in the gap. It will push the cup open enough to allow you to slip the assembly out.
Using pry bar you can pull down on the lower arm and slip the new assembly in.
I cheated because this was on a winter beater years ago and the lower fork bolt wasn’t budging and was rusted/rounded off.

4x4illustrator

Reaction score
Tom, When I got to the drivers side and pulled the wheel I saw the bottom of the strut had rusted away. ..the spring was resting on the fork. Ha Guess I really needed these.
I have to choose what is next. The rear shocks and springs or the inner and outer tie rods. I'm leaning on the tie rods now, then an alignment before the rear shocks and springs. Can only afford one or the other this month.I know the uca needs replacement too.

Latest posts

Members online