New CD Player... :-k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaz0_man0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my factory tape deck to a CD player with an auxiliary input for my zen micro.. Any suggestions? Or is there extra hardware I can use with my factory tape deck that will hook up to my zen? Like the P.I.E. CHRY02-AUX in conjunction with the factory CD player... And think cheap...

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
u still want to use OEM? or go aftermarket...?
oh wait, i think Iunderstand u now
yes it should work that aux converter. as long as ur audio player has the usual 3.5 mini jack (headphones) you should be fine...and oh yeah, those aux adapters only have problems with the in dash 6-cd changer (RBQ) and the RB1

how do you like the zen

chaz0_man0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of picking up a factory CD player and using an aux converter to go to my zen... I just wanted to know if there were any other options.. If there is a different way I would like to consider them...

I love my zen.. 5 gigs of fun.. I uses it for music and transporting data from work and home...

I am thinking about using napsters "music to go".
http://www.napster.com/ntg.html

$15 a month for unlimited music... :-k But I would need to keep their service all the time to use the music...

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeh i was thinking about that too, the napster....
it;s cheap, split it with myself and friends....even cheaper....

oh u got the zen micro...oh wait u mentioned that...LoL
yeah...i was thinking of doing what ur gonna do...
u can get an after market radio with aux inputs already..
dunno if u wanna keep the stock look tho

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with Napster. As you've said, you have to continue your subscription to keep the music. As much as it hurts me to recommend an apple service (shuttup grogie!) I'd suggest looking into Itunes. The files come over in a non-mp3 format, but you can burn them to a CD and then rip the CD to MP3 very easily.

For aftermarket radios, if you're interested in doing aux inputs, etc, I'd look into Alpine units. There are a good number of adapters available for alpine, and your options are reasonable with them. As an example, Crutchfield has this unit for $150 - if you're interested, I can get you a coupon for $10 off and free shipping if you use a Visa card.

You must be registered for see images attach

Alpine CDE-9843 CD/MP3 receiver

Crutchfield is great, they include all the stuff you need to install it (the faceplate adapter, a factory harness adapter, and complete instructions on how to get the old radio out, etc. I'd highly recommend them.

I have an Aiwa in my car, which has a 1/8" jack in the front. While I'm happy enough with it, I really wish that the aux input was in the back. Makes for a cleaner install. Having a player that plays MP3s was pretty cool (before I got XM) - it works pretty well. For me, being able to burn MP3 CDs was a very cool option - that way I could have as many mixes as I wanted in the car with me, w/o having to mess with it. We hardly use it now that we have XM, but it's still there ;)

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually you may want to step-up one model from that one.

You must be registered for see images attach

Alpine CDE-9845

This one has an Aux In on the back, so you wouldn't need to add anything to use it... just plug-and-play. $179.99

-Blu

chaz0_man0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to be cheap but that’s what I am... I am looking for cheapest option. :-k I can get a factory CD for around $100 and the aux for $60. Do you think this is the cheapest option?

I think if I do go with Napster I could just re-record that tracks I want with goldwave or somthing like it... :-k

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
Be careful with Napster. As you've said, you have to continue your subscription to keep the music.

if you use something (like Windows Media Player) to burn the music to CD (ie converting them in the process to wav files), and then rerip them to the PC (into mp3 or what ever you want) you'll no longer have to keep your napster subscription....

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chaz0_man0 said:
I hate to be cheap but that’s what I am... I am looking for cheapest option. :-k I can get a factory CD for around $100 and the aux for $60. Do you think this is the cheapest option?

I think if I do go with Napster I could just re-record that tracks I want with goldwave or somthing like it... :-k

Whatever you decide to go with, I'd do some research and find out which PIE adapters other people are using, and their success with it. Not all of these things are created equal, and some factory radios (the RB1 comes to mind) dont have the option.

If you have a specific combo in mind, post it here, and maybe we can do some digging for ya. IMHO, if you're going to be spending $160 anyway, if you have a Visa card, as I said, I can get you a $10 coupon + free shipping @ crutchfield, so that would bring the price of the better Alpine down to $169.99, with free shipping. Alpine makes good stuff, and you'd have the added bonus of being able to play MP3s burned to CD as well. Plus you'd have a new head unit with a warranty, etc.

Just my two cents, and trust me, I know all about trying to get stuff done on a budget.

-Blu