New AC Condenser Oil & Whining Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

levelbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All:

AC clutch was in the process of dying (making scraping noise) - so I ordered a new AC Compressor kit online that included the condenser, recovery tank, o rings and a few other items. Also ordered a new belt and pulley system while I was at it since the Libby has 170k on it.

Neighbor is a mechanic and offered to do the job in trade for some computer work and $100. Dealer wanted about $1500. So, I took him up on it.

He installed the other day. Did all the appropriate stuff including vacuuming down the system (it was a perfect day in the DC metro area yesterday to do it to - no humidity and around 70).

Refilled the system. Everything runs fine with the vent fan off or in any position where the AC Condenser doesn't engage. When I turn it to one of the AC slots or defrost, when I step on the accelerator, there is a whining noise that goes away about when you hit the first shift point.

Now, he put 2 oz. of oil into the compressor - which from what I have been reading is appropriate (let me know if we're wrong)... but he was wondering if maybe he didn't put enough in? When he gets home tonite, he's going to empty out the old compressor oil to confirm the amount used there.

Me, I'm wondering if I got a defective compressor and should get another one and swap it out.

Wondering if anyone has an experience with this or wisdom to lend ;)

Latest posts

Members online