New 5V Glow Plugs and Flashing Memory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goatkj

Reaction score
All,

Starting to have issues with the glow plugs in our totally stock 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD...then got to reading all these horror stories about the ceramics having a tendency to break apart in cylinder... They're coming out and the new OEM 5V metal are going in with the relay.

Anyone have issues removing ceramic glow plugs and the socket head breaking off the glow plug? Someone told me at work they read that you can only use about 20 N-m of torque when removing. I know the glow plug can have a build up of carbon that can make actual pulling out a problem.

When I change glow plugs on our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, I have to get the memory "flashed" (or is it "reflashed"?). Do you know what that refers too? Is it simply re-booting essentially the "hard drive" on the car? If so, have you heard of anyone having success doing this in their home shop?

I look online, and all I've seen is "take it to the stealership", and it's about $100. If I could buy the tool to do it for $100, I might just do that and flash the memory myself. Having said that, I know if I mess up the computer, I'm looking at big bucks for a replacement!

Also, what is the name of the diagnostic tool you can connect to your smart phone?

Appreciate all your insight.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

Starting to have issues with the glow plugs in our totally stock 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD...then got to reading all these horror stories about the ceramics having a tendency to break apart in cylinder... They're coming out and the new OEM 5V metal are going in with the relay.

Anyone have issues removing ceramic glow plugs and the socket head breaking off the glow plug? Someone told me at work they read that you can only use about 20 N-m of torque when removing. I know the glow plug can have a build up of carbon that can make actual pulling out a problem.

When I change glow plugs on our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, I have to get the memory "flashed" (or is it "reflashed"?). Do you know what that refers too? Is it simply re-booting essentially the "hard drive" on the car? If so, have you heard of anyone having success doing this in their home shop?

I look online, and all I've seen is "take it to the stealership", and it's about $100. If I could buy the tool to do it for $100, I might just do that and flash the memory myself. Having said that, I know if I mess up the computer, I'm looking at big bucks for a replacement!

Also, what is the name of the diagnostic tool you can connect to your smart phone?

Appreciate all your insight.

You need to spray something like Q40 onto the glow plugs before undoing them.

The new 5 volt plugs need a new plug controller to go with them and the ECU has to be re-programmed before any power is applied to the new plugs...or you will burn them out.

If you have not already bought the new 5 volt plugs and controller you should look into getting the 7 volt metal plugs from the Italian company Etechno....lots of members on Lost are using them with good results and no new controller or re-programming is needed.

Have a look at the CRD section and the CRD Tech Only section at

LOST JEEPS • Index page

My old 2002 Export CRD uses 11 volt glow plugs, no controller and virtually no glow plug error-checking and these seem to have very few issues.

goatkj

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts! I already bought the OEM 5V replacement plugs.

Very much considering getting the GDE Eco tune as I'll need to flash the memory, not sure yet as the cost of $500 plus $45 tool rental is pricey. And being in California, word is I might want to actually buy the $195 flashing tool to go back and forth between stock and the GDE Eco tune for smog.

Latest posts

Members online