Need some winter tire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang I got a question for you guys. I just got one of the rare two wheel drive Liberty’s (I’m happy with it tho it has ESP). It has 3,000 mile old Goodyear ST tires. Winter is coming and I have heard that these tires are a little lousy in winter weather. I don’t want to replace all five tires with Winter Tires because they are brand new.

My Question is do you think my Liberty will be fine this winter if I just replace just the rear two tires with snow tires?

*I won’t be driving in heavy snow just light snow*

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
snow tires

I am sure most will tell you that the ST tires are hardly good in rain. Snow= need traction and better tires for sure. I have had numerous rear wheel drive sedans and tried to get away with snows on rear only, until I slid and hit the curb real hard -1,500$ damage to right side.
Best to get 4 snowflake rated tires like Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, which also has thicker sidewalls as well. These are quiet and strong, I run them on my kj and have had excellent traction in snow. I do have a 4x4 though.
If I had only rear wheel, I would want 4 snows even more, and rear chains handy if it got real nasty, as the KJ is heavier vehicle.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely, you'll be ok if you put snow tires on your primary drive (the rear). I'm not a resident of PA so I don't know what kind of snow you get there, and I'm assuming your driving style is well within the tolerance levels of 'normal'.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with TC. Your power may come from your back wheels but your stopping is all on your front tires. I have a little experience driving in snow living in WI :) Get all 4 new, you will be better off in the long run.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should get 4, you need to stop and steer, if you have just 2 the rears will have traction and fronts won't have near the same quality. Light snow is usually slick so get real winters with lots of sipes in the tread, you don't want a blocky tread.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
You should get 4, you need to stop and steer, if you have just 2 the rears will have traction and fronts won't have near the same quality. Light snow is usually slick so get real winters with lots of sipes in the tread, you don't want a blocky tread.

Funny about the blocky tread, as I have had the best snow tires I ever owned being blocky treads. Cooper Weathermaster's had that blocky tread and were great in the snow and mud too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On two wheel drive pickups that I used to have for the business I always ran the same rough tread type tires all the way around in the winter, steered better in ice and snow and went like a mother!

Boiler

Reaction score
I'd definitely do a set of 4 (or 5?). I got a set of 5, but they are directional. I'm going to have to remount two every time I rotate. I'm **** about things like that so I don't mind...

It's not like you need to throw away your 3000 mile tires. Just stack em up and wait for spring to put them back on.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you really get snow in PA ? I mean, up here, in Canada, it is a must and its the law to have winter tires on... Blocky threads will grip better in snow and be more slipier on ice particularly black ice. Snow is kinda like sand, the more you shovel the more you get to be able to do something as moving ... Ice is another story. In order to grip on ice you need more sipes in the threads and ALSO a more flexible rubber. Those ice rubber WILL melt on regular paved road as they build heat and are more costy then snow tires. You get snow tires much cheaper and their harder rubber will make them last a lot longer but will grip less on ice. If you get stuck in the snow, snow tires are much better... Here we have enough snow AND ice to actually debate over that, but for me, the choice is clear; Snow tires with spikes (15$), i get the snow grip and spikes takes care of the ice gripping thing, plus snow tires wont melt on paved roads and are much cheapier. In you case, snow tires will more then do it but the real question is i think you might consider ice tires since PA probably gets constant variations of temperature between freezing and not freezing during winter. That surely causes ice buildup on paved roads while not much to no snow is covering the roads... Choice is yours but remember, thats my opinion and over here we get an easy 5-6 feet of snow ... not exagerating :p

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, PA gets some gnarly snow. Canada is not the only place on earth where white stuff hits the ground :)

ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend ditching, then burning, all 5 Wrangler ST's and replacing them with a good all season tire.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Do yourself a favour and purchase four dedicated snow tires for your Liberty. Regardless weather you have two or four wheel drive, you will have traction on all four corners.
Especially the fronts for steering and stopping!
Stay away from all season tires altogether. In my opinion they completely suck in the winter and are not that great in the other three seasons either!

NCC-1864

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No your Libby won't be fine with just two winter tire in the rear.
Whatever you'll get heavy or light snow. winter is winter. put 4 identicals winter tires on your Jeep
So you'll never had to be sorry about that choice.

Boiler

Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and purchase four dedicated snow tires for your Liberty. Regardless weather you have two or four wheel drive, you will have traction on all four corners.
Especially the fronts for steering and stopping!
Stay away from all season tires altogether. In my opinion they completely suck in the winter and are not that great in the other three seasons either!

I bought winter tires this year, but my all season's were really pretty good last year. I had better traction that just about everyone that was around me, and far better than any of my previous cars had (front wheel drives). Of course when I bought my all season tires I specifically was shopping for ones that were rated well for snow and rain. They are "V" type treads with a fair amount of sipes.

I think there are good and bad all season tires out there for intermittent winter driving. For the best of it get winter tires.

Also, these days I'm hearing the experts say you need your best tread on the rear. I also see almost everywhere that winter tires are supposed to be used in full sets, not just on certain tires.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I bought winter tires this year, but my all season's were really pretty good last year. I had better traction that just about everyone that was around me, and far better than any of my previous cars had (front wheel drives). Of course when I bought my all season tires I specifically was shopping for ones that were rated well for snow and rain. They are "V" type treads with a fair amount of sipes.

I think there are good and bad all season tires out there for intermittent winter driving. For the best of it get winter tires.

Also, these days I'm hearing the experts say you need your best tread on the rear. I also see almost everywhere that winter tires are supposed to be used in full sets, not just on certain tires.

That's a fair statement!

Around here people can get away with all season tires.
Most winters!

Then we get nailed with a really snow fall, everyone rushes the tyre shops and cleans out the stock lists.
Really funny!
Then instead of removing the snow tyres once the white stuff's gone, no, they just keep driving on them 'cause their too cheap to either
A. Buy a second set of wheels
or
B. have their summer/all season tyres re-mounted.

Then by next winter, their snow tyres are seriously worn and no good any more!

Back when I was a working class man and drove 350+ miles per week as a Cable tech. All seasons just wouldn't do.
They don't work all that great to begin with, let alone on the rural roads and
1km long driveways with 2-3 feet of snow.
I definitely need snowies on all four corners. I always got the jobs nobody else would do or want and liked it that way. Others would have 14-20 calls per day, I only got 3-5 calls at best but had to drive all over heels half acre!
I've seen so many people sit and spin with their brand spanking new all season radials (and usually pull them out as well) in this Wet coast snow we get, that real snow tire really help.
When the snow fall did get really bad I just called in and either took a personal day off or I would get a call from the boss and was told to stay home!
Gotta love the IBEW and my employer, they always looked after the hard workers!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 Season tires are illegal on winter in Canada, just to let you know how crappy they are ...

I say skip buying winter tires and buy a set of MT or AT tires and leave them on all year round.

When I bought my Liberty three years ago I knew nothing of offroading and bought a set of Good Year Wrangler All Season tires, the identical type that were on it from the factory. My first Canadian winter with them was miserable. You wouldn't have known I had 4WD. My second winter I bought a used set of winter tires, what a difference.

This winter I have a brand new set of AT's and I don't expect to have any problems. Actually I'm looking forward to some snow wheelin.

anybody want to buy a used set of All Season tires? :D

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say skip buying winter tires and buy a set of MT or AT tires and leave them on all year round.

When I bought my Liberty three years ago I knew nothing of offroading and bought a set of Good Year Wrangler All Season tires, the identical type that were on it from the factory. My first Canadian winter with them was miserable. You wouldn't have known I had 4WD. My second winter I bought a used set of winter tires, what a difference.

This winter I have a brand new set of AT's and I don't expect to have any problems. Actually I'm looking forward to some snow wheelin.

anybody want to buy a used set of All Season tires? :D
Totally agree!

My dad has being using AT tires year round for the past 20 years(87 Jeep XJ & 00 Durango). We get a lot of snow here and the plows are really slow too. With that said, my dad has been golden with AT tires.

I am also getting a set of AT tires. Firestone Destination A/T. Which, according to tirerack, kick ass in the snow.

Having 2 sets of tires/rims is a major PITA imo.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Now-a-days you can buy a set of AT tires with the "Snowflake" BS stamped on the side to keep the man happy if need be!
Decent for 3/4 of the year and really decent in the winter!
Although still not as good as a dedicated set of snow tyres!
Different rubber compound, sipes, etc, etc.!
It's like figure scates compared to hockey skates!
Or lubed and lubed condoms! :D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt get an M/T for snow driving. They may be ok for heavy snow but I wouldnt not want them in light snow or ice. A good A/T is the best bet for snow IMHO.