Need some winter tire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I wouldnt get an M/T for snow driving. They may be ok for heavy snow but I wouldnt not want them in light snow or ice. A good A/T is the best bet for snow IMHO.

But it's not the tread patern!
It's the ability of the rubber to stay soft at temperatures below -7° C
That is after all what makes a snow tyre a snow tyre. The ability for the rubber to stick to the ice and snow and dig in whice adds traction.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll let you know how my MT's are going to do in the snow...I expect they will not do so good. On a rainy day, I can lite up the rears posi from a stop. I can't imagine cold and snow will make it any better.

I had BFG AT KO's on it last year...anything must be better than them in snow.:rolleyes:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I was going to suggest you buy MT or AT tires and keep them on all year round however I just noticed you're driving a stock 2WD Liberty. So I'll recommend you get a set of winter tires, even on a 2WD vehicle. Winter's in PA can still be pretty bad.

The first winter I had my Libby it performed miserably on a new set of All Season Good Year Wranglers even though it's a 4WD. Switching to a set of used winter tires made a big difference even though they were worn a bit. It was probably the tire compound, a softer rubber.

Because I have a 2.5" lift I can run 245/75R16 AT's and plan to run them all year round. No more swapping tires.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldnt get an M/T for snow driving. They may be ok for heavy snow but I wouldnt not want them in light snow or ice. A good A/T is the best bet for snow IMHO.

ThunderbirdJunkie has run nothing but Man Tires on his KJ year-round since Oct 15, 2005, 93,000 miles in that time. A GOOD MT will not let you down in crap weather

I'll let you know how my MT's are going to do in the snow...I expect they will not do so good. On a rainy day, I can lite up the rears posi from a stop. I can't imagine cold and snow will make it any better.

Question
What KIND of MT's?
Cheaper MT's typically exhibit less than exemplary wet traction, while GOOD MT's will not leave you hanging when the wetness hits the ground or White Death rears its ugly head. ThunderbirdJunkie's MT/R's left something to be desired for wet traction...but...they were decent in the snow. The Cooper S/T's are a GOOOD wet traction tire and dominate snow with reckless abandon.

Latest posts

Members online