Need some input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Czapata

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a kj for winter since I live in NY and the past winter was pretty bad. My gti isn't horrible in the winter but i would like a 4x4 for piece of mind. So some questions i have:
1. For my price range the kj's have around 100k-130k on the mileage and wondering if these engines are still good at those miles.
2. Looking for a 2002-2004, wondering what are some bugs i should look out for.

Thanks for any input and hope to be part of the kj community real soon:favorites37:

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redirect your post to the general section. Youre posting in the CRD section and they didnt sell those until 2005/06.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the range out by you? I know here in Vegas a 2002 is around $7-9k depending on what was done to it. But then again you can have a 1950 jeep here and it be nearly that or more due to no rust.
I would recommend looking at the shocks, cats-all 3 of the evil things, rear windows to make sure they do not make any extra noise, rack and pinion bushings...that might be it...I am sure someone from back east will chime in with a better response or additional things to look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be good, many people on here have over 100k miles with no problems. Oh, they do awesome in the snow too, even with the garbage stock tires.

Czapata

Reaction score
Sry about wrong section wasn't paying attention. My budget is around 6k and that could get me one with around 110k.

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've drove multitudes of 4x4 full sized GM trucks. You'll be surprised in how well the Liberty does in the snow.

They do better than a crew cab with a short bed full of tools in deep snow.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes a KJ will drive circles around a full size 4x4 truck any day in the snow.

For 6K you're gonna have a hard time finding anything super nice unless someone just has a real good price on one and is trying to just get rid of it. I'll post what I always do though, my favorite ones are the early 03 before they switched to the 42RLE transmission. I bet you could fine a reasonable one for around 6k if you are diligent about it.

Good Luck! hope you find one!

Aaron2345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just recently picked up my 03 freedom edition. 116k miles all the bells and whistles painted renders, light bar 5spd for 6200 just gotta keep checking Craigslist lol.