Need Rack and pinion kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snakehn

Reaction score
Hello all jeep lovers.
my liby is in the need of a rack and pinion replacements and i was wondering if these kind of part is safe to buy from ebay ?
or does anybody know a website with good reputation to buy one from?

i live in NC by the way.

thanks.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carquest sells cardones for $197 and Advanced sells them for $199

MY cardone from advanced was bad when I put it in, the one I replaced it with from carquest was fine.

I have used rockauto parts several times, and they ship quickly too. Probably faster than waiting for carquest or advanced to get one

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I do not like buying things like that from Advance. They are ok to buy things like oil filters and spark plugs but not sensors or something like a rack+pinion. I like napa for everything myself.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[sarcasm]my sincere apologies to you for not being born in an english speaking country[/sarcasm]

thanks all for the suggestions.

No need to apologize. Your English is certainly better than our speaking / writing your language. I also agree with Rockauto.com. They are usually a lot cheaper than what you can get locally.
Bruce

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
so from what I'm gathering from this thread.. don't buy a rack and pinion from advance auto parts.. ?

why? eek2.gif

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from Advance and it has worked fine for me for the last 6mo. Its a Bi^ch to put in though.

Midgear

Reaction score
The shop here wants 450 dollars to install it.. think it's worth it or should I just take a few days off and do it myself?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop here wants 450 dollars to install it.. think it's worth it or should I just take a few days off and do it myself?

My personal litmus test for something like that is:

1. It's my daily driver, can I do it in less than 1 day?
2. If I do it myself, will it likely be done right?

Anything tough usually blows out #1 because I need the car for work the next day.

Anything tough usually blows out #2 because I'm not a wrench turner, and once you start needing special tools, require a rack, or have to disassemble other major components like dropping the front end, there's too much opportunity for fail.

Since it sounds like you can afford a few days of your jeep not running, so you're ok with #1. So that leaves you with #2. In my current world, $450 is a lot of money, so if I had the skill and tools to replace something and save $450, I'd probably spend the few days doing it.

Midgear

Reaction score
^^^ good point.. I'll just spend the money required for the install. I can't risk screwin anything up.

Midgear

Reaction score
Just FYI, it is unnecessary to unbolt the front subframe from the KJ to do it.

explain please

I tried to replace the bushings in it, only to find out that once those two large bolts are off, it don't move but mabey an inch. not near enough to get the bushings out and the new ones in. ended up taking the bushings back since I found out mine leaks and a new R&P comes with bushings.

this guy is gonna charge me 450 dollars worth of labor alone. (I buy the R&P and he installs it) so 700 dollars total for this rack and pinion. ack.

A alignment is required after a R&P install.

planned on it.. not taking it to the dinky shop down the road either, I'm taking it to the shop that actually use computers to do alignments.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct! You do not have to unbolt the sub frame, but you will have to unbolt the diff on the passenger side to maneuver the rack out and the new one in. It can be done in a matter of a 4 to 6 hours with some mechanical skill and help from this site.

Midgear

Reaction score
4 to 6 hours you say.. hmmm.gif

well I've got a couple weeks to decide wether this is the kinda job I'm prepared for or not.

how do you get the rack and pinion disconnected from the steering columb?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 to 6 hours you say.. hmmm.gif

well I've got a couple weeks to decide wether this is the kinda job I'm prepared for or not.

how do you get the rack and pinion disconnected from the steering columb?
The 1st one I ever did was on a '06,did it in a gravel campground lot in 4 hours.Not really hard,it makes it easier to remove the oil filter so have a new one handy.

Latest posts

Members online