Rack and pinion up grades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Any of you guys know of a heavy duty Tie rod end that is 7/8 in diameter that would screw in to the rack and pinion. They can be longer i dont mind cuting them down and rethreading. Either that or a different style of tie rods that will screw in to the rack and except a steering heim. If not im going to have to figure out a way to try and reinforce the stock ones with a larger sleeve.

Fnawesomeinc

Reaction score
Any of you guys know of a heavy duty Tie rod end that is 7/8 in diameter that would screw in to the rack and pinion. They can be longer i dont mind cuting them down and rethreading. Either that or a different style of tie rods that will screw in to the rack and except a steering heim. If not im going to have to figure out a way to try and reinforce the stock ones with a larger sleeve.
Was just posted on here somewhere (can’t find it now) , Toyota Tacoma tie rod reinforcing sleeves have the same thread pitch and work for this.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Was just posted on here somewhere (can’t find it now) , Toyota Tacoma tie rod reinforcing sleeves have the same thread pitch and work for this.
Cool thanks. You would not happen to have the range of year

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tacomas share the same M16 size tie rod outer threading.
I saw a Facebook post with someone using these, but I am unable to find it again.
https://warfabarmor.com/products/tacoma-tie-rod-sleeves?_pos=2&_sid=63e60391a&_ss=r

Doing some googling, it looks like Broncos also use a M16 outer tie rod thread.
There are a few companies that offer sleeves for modern Broncos.

Another option that may work would be going to inner and outer tie rods from a 2005 Dodge 1500 Moog EV-407. These are larger diameter and longer than a liberty inner tie rod end. These would be a good candidate to be turned down to fit a Liberty.

I would have to get hands on actual parts to verify, but looking through information on Moog's website (https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/shop-universal-parts.asp)
it may be possible to use 1500 outer tie rods too, if the tapers are the same at the steering knuckle. I think some length would need to be trimmer off the inner though.

Given the 1500 is a straight outer tie rod and does not have any offset like a Liberty's, you may have issues with the outer tie rod rubbing on the wheel depending on diameter and offset.

Both Liberty and 1500 use a M24 threading at the rack.

1500 Inner Tie Rod
-Rack Thread M24x1.5
-Outer Thread M18x1.5
-Length 12.81 inch

Liberty Inner Tie Rod
-Rack Thread M24x1.5
-Outer Thread M16x1.5
-Length 11.090 inch

You must be registered for see images attach

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Tacomas share the same M16 size tie rod outer threading.
I saw a Facebook post with someone using these, but I am unable to find it again.
https://warfabarmor.com/products/tacoma-tie-rod-sleeves?_pos=2&_sid=63e60391a&_ss=r

Doing some googling, it looks like Broncos also use a M16 outer tie rod thread.
There are a few companies that offer sleeves for modern Broncos.

Another option that may work would be going to inner and outer tie rods from a 2005 Dodge 1500 Moog EV-407. These are larger diameter and longer than a liberty inner tie rod end. These would be a good candidate to be turned down to fit a Liberty.

I would have to get hands on actual parts to verify, but looking through information on Moog's website (https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/shop-universal-parts.asp)
it may be possible to use 1500 outer tie rods too, if the tapers are the same at the steering knuckle. I think some length would need to be trimmer off the inner though.

Given the 1500 is a straight outer tie rod and does not have any offset like a Liberty's, you may have issues with the outer tie rod rubbing on the wheel depending on diameter and offset.

Both Liberty and 1500 use a M24 threading at the rack.

1500 Inner Tie Rod
-Rack Thread M24x1.5
-Outer Thread M18x1.5
-Length 12.81 inch

Liberty Inner Tie Rod
-Rack Thread M24x1.5
-Outer Thread M16x1.5
-Length 11.090 inch

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks I'll most likely try out the 18 mm and see if I maybe able to sleve them with a cromemoly tube because it take very little stress to bend
The 16mm rod. Thank you for the information.