Need opinion about buying a steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im tryin to get steering wheel audio controls Installed and I found someone on eBay who will sell me the steering wheel with cruise, audio controls and the clockspring for 125 plus shipping. First off, is that a good deal? And second, is it possible to pull my wheel off without the steering wheel puller? My wheel looks like crap because the prev. owner gripped it so hard the leather is warped and faded so I would rather just replace it with the limited edition wheel.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so you are aware. The Audio controls on the wheel only work with the Factory head units and if you ever install an after market Head unit (or if you already have one) the controls on the wheel won't work.

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im tryin to get steering wheel audio controls Installed and I found someone on eBay who will sell me the steering wheel with cruise, audio controls and the clockspring for 125 plus shipping. First off, is that a good deal? And second, is it possible to pull my wheel off without the steering wheel puller? My wheel looks like crap because the prev. owner gripped it so hard the leather is warped and faded so I would rather just replace it with the limited edition wheel.
You will need the puller, keep in mind it's not a typical steering whel puller, the one you will need look slike a valve spring compressor. The clockspring itself new is probably about that much, if its new then its probably a good price, if its used then hell no. I picked up a used wheel with everything for $45 and a new clockspring for like $60-65 a couple years ago.

Just so you are aware. The Audio controls on the wheel only work with the Factory head units and if you ever install an after market Head unit (or if you already have one) the controls on the wheel won't work.
If you go aftermarket, Crutchfield sells an adaptor box so you can use your wheel controls with an aftermarket HU.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using my stock radio with the wheel controls, I really like my stock radio with RDS and ipod hookup. I ended up not buying the wheel from eBay because it is an 02 and was in a crash and the guy won't budge at all on the price.
Does anyone know where I could find a wheel puller? Or is there a way I could force it off?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to rent a wheel puller from Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. If you have one of them near.

There is nothing fancy about the wheel puller....at least on my 2002 CRD Sport!
I have often removed the wheel...first mark its position carefully, remove bolt..13mm I think and use a small two bar puller to pull the wheel off but first place a nut or spacer in the recess so that the puller does not damage the thread in the top of the column.