Need help with decision.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the lost website but no one really said anything.

I want the Cragar Series 397 Black steel rims with 5" backspacing, but with the 5" BS you must get the 16x8 rims. I was wondering if the 245/70/16's would be ok with the width rim.

Im getting the general tire b/c they are cheap and Ive heard great things about them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...L&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

Rims:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92601_4XX_PG.htm

Also, what BS are the stock 17in rims? They have the 235/65/17 tires on them. Many people get the 4" BS but I do not want to rub on the fenders when flexing, and I flex ALOT. What BS are the rubicon rims everyone gets? They seem to give the right amount of BS and give it a good look. Thanks guys!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will fit, but its near the limit for acceptable tire sizes so you may not like the tread wear.

Also, there is a reason taht the 16x8 rim is 5" BS and the 16x7 is 4".

Take a moment to ponder about that, the answer should come right out and hit you.

Here a hit:

Distance from the wheel hub.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Hmm, what is the BS for a stock rim and the rubicon rims?

Stock BS on my limited mech rims is 5.5" and they are 7" wide.
Backspacing on Rubicon rims is 5.0" and they are 8" wide.

Stick with 5" BS if you are going with 8" wide rim or it will rub. If you stick with 7" wide you could probably go to 4.5" BS

Honestly, I don't see a real purpose in swapping out just A/T tires when you go wheeling, especially with only 245/70/16s. Just throw them on your current rims. For swapping out I would go with a set of M/Ts and 245/75/16 in size. If you just swap them out for wheeling then you don't really need to worry about gas mileage, noise and ride quality that much.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
jeepjeepster said:
Hmm, what is the BS for a stock rim and the rubicon rims?

Stock BS on my limited mech rims is 5.5" and they are 7" wide.
Backspacing on Rubicon rims is 5.0" and they are 8" wide.

Stick with 5" BS if you are going with 8" wide rim or it will rub. If you stick with 7" wide you could probably go to 4.5" BS

Honestly, I don't see a real purpose in swapping out just A/T tires when you go wheeling, especially with only 245/70/16s. Just throw them on your current rims. For swapping out I would go with a set of M/Ts and 245/75/16 in size. If you just swap them out for wheeling then you don't really need to worry about gas mileage, noise and ride quality that much.

Thanks for clearing that up eddo, you always come along and answer all my questions. \:D/

If I had the money I would get a set of rubicon rims which are currently for sale on the lost website along with some goodyear mtr 245/75's. Its all about the money right now. I think the black steels would look purty good on my blue jeep and they are cheap. I have decided to up them to a 255/70/16 which is a 30in tire and Im sure would be a heck of alot better offroad than my current tires. Ive been calling around and no one has even heard of a grabber AT2, so tirerack it is!