Need Help? Strut Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a Shock then why does Bilstein call it a Strut? And why does every other manufacturer call the Fronts Struts also? When I was looking online to placed my order all the Fronts were called Struts the Rears are Shocks.

We have upper control arms and even though the KJ is IFS - it has shocks not struts. They simply absorb shock.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a Shock then why does Bilstein call it a Strut? And why does every other manufacturer call the Fronts Struts also? When I was looking online to placed my order all the Fronts were called Struts the Rears are Shocks.
The KJ uses front coilovers which sadly get lumped into the "strut" catagory when they are not struts.Struts take place of a upper control arm and attaches directly to the knuckle(front) or hub(rear).

Simply way to tell a strut from a shock(or coilover) is take the strut assembly out of the vehicle.Can you still drive it? Nope but if you take the coilover assembly out of the front of a KJ you can still drive it. Yes you can,granted it's not recommended by any means but you can do it unlike a vehicle with struts.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the clearing that up for me. Was just going by what the vendors had them listed as on there websites.