Need help fabricating crossbars to mount basket on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

remingtonjeeper

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm very new on here so please bear with me. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade. With the large tube style roof rails I'm having a hard time finding suitable crossbars so I'm making my own. I'm using some t channel aluminum referred to as 80/20. It's 1"x1" square "tubing". I need to find sometching that will wrap around the tube roof rails but on the side that will hold the crossbars I need it to be a 1" square. Does anyone know of anything that will work? Once I get this figured out I'm mounting a Thule MOAB basket and mounting an Olympus offload 40" hd led light bar. Should look good

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to be awfully high that way
With those larger rails you can measure between , mark where the rails need to be, drill a hole in the rails( just through the inside ) insert tubing into the rails / reinstall the rails on the Jeep seal around the holes you drilled, and have a nice low mounting rack
Hate seeing racks that are 4-6 inches above the roof

remingtonjeeper

Reaction score
Same height

Understandable with the height issue but with how I'm making mine it will be the same height as the side rails. I'd really prefer to not drill any holes into anything if possible but I appreciate your help

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
U bolts work ... I can't find my pics though. If you search on here it's been done (How-To)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Understandable with the height issue but with how I'm making mine it will be the same height as the side rails. I'd really prefer to not drill any holes into anything if possible but I appreciate your help

Building a Jeep and not drilling any holes :mfr_omg:
Is it even possible?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This kind of brings up a touchy subject with me, Tom. :hmm:

"A Jeeps not yours until you drill that first hole in it."

I drilled several holes in my Jeep last Fall in order to install my CB antenna. The next day I called the bank to let them know what I had done and that they could send the title along any time now. The guy on the other end of the phone started laughing his head off and acted like I was some kind of a nut. I must admit that it kind of hurt my feelings.

Could you maybe have a word with him? I'm guessing he was just not a "Jeep person", but maybe you could set him straight. There's a lot of nice mods I could be doing if I didn't have that pesky payment to make every month. vertel.gif

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of nice mods I could be doing if I didn't have that pesky payment to make every month. vertel.gif

Don't let that hold you back. With a conventional car loan, you own it as long as you are making the payments to the bank/lending institution. If it's leased, you don't own the car (you're essentially "renting" it), and will get dinged at lease end for any damage (customizing) you do to it, unless you buy it out.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I will do them as soon as I have the bucks. I'd have those bucks already if I didn't have the payments. I plan to have the Jeep long after they're out of the picture in any case.

I just hit the job market about six weeks ago and am still trying to find that "perfect" fit career-wise. My definition of "perfect" is undergoing review at the moment, though. :Insane: