'05 Liberty Roof Rack Design Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gicts

Reaction score
I have an '05 Liberty that's stock which I'd like to weld a roof rack basket for.

It currently looks pretty much like this
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm planning on using 3/4" square tubing, about 60" long (following the length of the original rails) and removing the current rails and mounting directly to the screws coming out of the roof.
I'm going to incorporate front and back LED light bars into the design, which will dictate the height.

So my question comes on the width. I took measurements tonight and the back is more narrow than the front by 7%, kinda tapered like a pizza. Does anyone have advise as to how to proceed with this? Should I taper the width of the rack to flow with the roof, or should I just make it square?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Taper front to rear, thats how all aftermarket ones ( like the ones from Rock Lizard ) were made
I had both regular both stock length and full length as well from him
remove stock bars and make feet in stock location
As far as a Light Bar across the front RL supplied one with his full length, and I hated it

gicts

Reaction score
Taper front to rear, thats how all aftermarket ones ( like the ones from Rock Lizard ) were made
I had both regular both stock length and full length as well from him
remove stock bars and make feet in stock location
As far as a Light Bar across the front RL supplied one with his full length, and I hated it

I really appreciate it and any feedback - I haven't seen any Liberty racks in person.

Tapered it shall be.
I'll remove the OEM rails and Fab mounts from bar stock.
For light bars, I was thinking of a 18" Nilight on the front and duel 6.5" bars on the back. They're 4" tall, so I was envisioning the top rail engulfing the top of the bars and locking it in tight. I'm not an off-road guy, but it'd be convenient to have the extra light for tailgates, late night work, or county roads where deer like to come out of the blue.
... but then again I replaced my headlight and foglights today. They were stamped 09/04. I've been driving around with 14.5 year old bulbs. LOL.

Here's the look I had in mind, but look be damned if functionality isn't there.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nilights would be ok for back up lights but not for forward ones, very cheap .I've had samples sent to me to test, and up close is ok but not longer distance.
I use Vison X Light Cannons and Rigid light cubes on the front bumper for longer vision on back roads. Run a lot of them just to get to a main road , no lights
I've got a ton of pictures of the various Rock Lizard I've ran

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nilights would be ok for back up lights but not for forward ones, very cheap .I've had samples sent to me to test, and up close is ok but not longer distance.
I use Vison X Light Cannons and Rigid light cubes on the front bumper for longer vision on back roads. Run a lot of them just to get to a main road , no lights
I've got a ton of pictures of the various Rock Lizard I've ran

On those Vision X Light Cannons.. What?! Only a single LED per light?! But you need a 42" wide curved multi LED emitter mega-lumenbuster lightbar to see anything! How could a single, high quality, high efficiency LED inside a properly designed housing and reflector be superior!

Off to Fakebook to denounce the better designed light! Ho! :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On those Vision X Light Cannons.. What?! Only a single LED per light?! But you need a 42" wide curved multi LED emitter mega-lumenbuster lightbar to see anything! How could a single, high quality, high efficiency LED inside a properly designed housing and reflector be superior!

Off to Fakebook to denounce the better designed light! Ho! :gr_grin:

BRIGHT , very bright , one single LED does more than 20 LEDs in a single in a chap light . Really check it out instead of making fun of something you have never seen work :mwah1:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BRIGHT , very bright , one single LED does more than 20 LEDs in a single in a chap light . Really check it out instead of making fun of something you have never seen work :mwah1:

You know I was being sarcastic about it right? lol. Of course the single LED is superior.. I'm usually first in line to start bashing and hating on the stupid 40 LED light bars mounted on the roof using cheap Chinese knock off emitters and plastic reflectors that are not even 1" deep.

See, I was just teasing you for using an appropriately and correctly designed light, instead of the usual pieces of garbage you see people putting on trucks nowadays.

Although I have seem some $500 rusted out piles driving around with $1000 in aux lighting...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You know I was being sarcastic about it right? lol. Of course the single LED is superior.. I'm usually first in line to start bashing and hating on the stupid 40 LED light bars mounted on the roof using cheap Chinese knock off emitters and plastic reflectors that are not even 1" deep.

See, I was just teasing you for using an appropriately and correctly designed light, instead of the usual pieces of garbage you see people putting on trucks nowadays.

Although I have seem some $500 rusted out piles driving around with $1000 in aux lighting...

Just getting ahead of those who would look at price and say that company is ripping you off:happy175:
You know how some read things ha ha
So yes I knew where it was coming from and not directed at you exactly :gr_grin: