Need help deciding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I want the Cragar soft 8's in a 15 inch wheel I figured that much out myself. I want to go 15x8 inch wide with 4" backspace for the wider stance. I know most go with 7" wide with 4" backspace but I do actually want my wheels to stick out some. My question is will they rub bad even after pounding over pinch weld and doing some trimming? Will I have rubbing on the street? Honestly the only offroading I really do is during hunting season so not really going to be flexing or stuffing my wheels into the flares. Tire size I would like to run is either 30x10.5x15 or 31x10.5x15 help me decide on that. I will be running a full lift at about 23 inches. Thanks in advance.

example
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not going to have as much room to flex since the wheels and tires will be out past the flares. So have to run more bumpstops in the rear. 8 inch with 5 inch backepacing would be better, much better in the long run. In front yes youll run into more rubbi g as well since the arc will be out more causing more issues

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
5 inch
reason for going either 8 inch - 5 inch backspacing
or 7 inch wide and 4 inches of backspacing
both work and have been used 100s of times with good results
of course none of the tires we can run really need an 8 inch wide wheel

not the best picture but you can see where an 8 inch wide with 5 inches of backspacing sits. I can still tuck the reasr up into the flares ( tight due to tire size but works well

testing after installing new rear springs to see how much bumpstop to add ( have 2 and 1/2 pucks per side now)

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the factory wheel is 16x7" with 5" of backspace? If this is true then 4" inches of backspace on a 16x7 would put the wheel out 1 inch closer to flare from factory?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So the factory wheel is 16x7" with 5" of backspace? If this is true then 4" inches of backspace on a 16x7 would put the wheel out 1 inch closer to flare from factory?

CORRECT!! :icon_lol:
thats why so many go with a 7 inch wide wheel and 4 inches of backspacing , sits the tire/wheel combo out to the edge but not far enough to cause extra issues when turning ( except of course beating over the pinch weld)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the stock wheels must be different then. My 16x7 Renegade wheels have 5.5" of b.s. With my 1.5" adapters, they have an "adjusted b.s." of 4".

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would 31x10.5x15 tire work well if I go with a 4" backspace? How much lift do I really need to run 31's? Would they fit if I were in the 20.5" - 21.00" range?

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will 10.5" wide tire rub on the control arms or suspension if I go with 4" backspace?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the stock wheels must be different then. My 16x7 Renegade wheels have 5.5" of b.s. With my 1.5" adapters, they have an "adjusted b.s." of 4".

You are correct some are, I also thought I had typed 5.5 but didn't double check before I posted

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Would 31x10.5x15 tire work well if I go with a 4" backspace? How much lift do I really need to run 31's? Would they fit if I were in the 20.5" - 21.00" range?

Run 31s you're going to have to be in the 22.5 range ( plus a regear would be helpful )
4 inch backspacing and what width?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will 10.5" wide tire rub on the control arms or suspension if I go with 4" backspace?

May rub on the sway bar depending on type of tire / brand but only fully turned one way or the other. But then no need to turn that far anyways unless running from an EX!

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can fit 245/70/16 which measure almost 30 inches on my pre-lowered 02 without rubbing, but if I go 31 inches I'm going to have rubbing even with a lift. Is this true? Do you even gain much room for larger tires when doing a lift?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I can fit 245/70/16 which measure almost 30 inches on my pre-lowered 02 without rubbing, but if I go 31 inches I'm going to have rubbing even with a lift. Is this true? Do you even gain much room for larger tires when doing a lift?

Yes you do gain room when lifting
below worn out 245-75-16s before and then after ( on the silver one )

after

oh and check actual height on those sizes you mentioned