Need a mechanic...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My family and I moved to St. Louis in 2013. It's been a rough few years due to health issues, but I kept the faith and after being off work for several years due to health issues tossed in on top of a weak economy. Now I need to take care of some issues our KJ has.

Now some would wonder why I'd wanna put any money in to a vehicle that's 11 years old and has 75k miles on it. Well mainly, we're basically starting over and we own it. No worries about making a monthly payment. And while KJ's were the most sought after of all the Jeep models, we've grown fond of our Limited.

I'd would normally attempt to do some of the work that needs to be done, well except I don't think I'd try to replaced the windshield, never did that before. Biggest problem we currently have that prevents my wife from driving the 2004 kj is the driver's side seat frame cracked in an accident earlier this year. I've tried searching every bone yard within 100 miles of St. Louis...can't find any driver's seats let alone a grey motorized one. My next bet would see if a generic seat from J.C Whitney would fit or not, does anyone have any comment on their seats? Either way, I don't have a shop and I don't know anyone whom I can borrow their garage to do work in. Suggestions?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on craigslist yesterday seen a few jeep liberties being parted out. Might get a good deal on the seats from one that was wrecked out. As for a garage i dont got one i use the in laws.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the seat out, pull the upholstery, and have a muffler shop, or someone in a welding shop. put it back together. My next door (business) neighbor is a used car lot, over the years they've pull lots of seats, peeled the upholstery back and I've welded the schit out of em. Upholstery ain't normally that hard to get off with common hand tools.

Bob

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I'd need to have to pull the upholstery out? Only 4 bolts to remove the thing. I might still have to pull the seat anyways, there's a short somewhere in the seat belt wiring harness. Even with the seat properly attached while driving, I get the error that I'm driving with it off. I also get that annoying beeping about two minutes after I start moving. I know there's a way to turn that beeping off, but it has to be working correctly in the first place.

I would still need a mechanic though. While it would be no issues to change the rear shocks, I don't have the tools to do the front struts. I also need some body work done. I was hit in January, took out the trim around right rear wheel. My wife hit a parked car a few weeks ago, this time not only taking off the trim around the left front wheel, the wheel well piece of plastic and what looks like a plastic door stop fell off.

Other planned repairs... Windshield cracked, rock from truck. I have two original tires that are near balled, one is newer and I've another brand brand new tire. Someone also stold my spare. So I need 3 tires and a generic steel rim with a lock! Trans is hesitating and struggles to switch gears at the 35-40mph range. Then just have the whole thing gone over, make sure there isn't something on the verge of going on me. Until I can get wife a 2nd vehicle, this is our life line to starting over.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting Over

Jaxom, you have our sympathies on having to start over. It is tough at any age but especially at 50. Forum members, can anyone in the St Louis area lend a helping hand with Jaxom's Liberty? Perhaps a steel rim spare tire or help with other repairs? Let's remember there is more happiness in giving and that by the grace of God there goes me.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I'd need to have to pull the upholstery out? Only 4 bolts to remove the thing. I might still have to pull the seat anyways, there's a short somewhere in the seat belt wiring harness. Even with the seat properly attached while driving, I get the error that I'm driving with it off. I also get that annoying beeping about two minutes after I start moving. I know there's a way to turn that beeping off, but it has to be working correctly in the first place.

Could be related, The broken seat track may have damaged the harness.

As for pulling the upholstery, You would remove the seat, then strip the seat and back upholstery off the frame, then the steel frame can be welded and you put the foam/covers back on. Unless the issue is the motorized track assembly itself and not inside the seat?
Did find a seat at Rebuildable Vehicles | Surplus & Recycled Parts | Wheels & Motors but don't know how close they really are to you.

As for the glass, MUCH better to let a glass outfit handle that. They bring the right stuff and in a couple hours you have new glass & a guarantee!

Trans issue could be costly, I would take it to a dealer or someone with a dealer level scan tool. They can check for trans codes that don't trigger the CEL, and it may be something like a bad solenoid pack or other easier repair.
Or it may be time for a rebuilt.

Tire wise, hit a U-Pull it type yard (should be a few out there) Usually you can buy the rims with a tire on it for 20-40 bucks. Just pick ones with good tread! (Usually the ones that are wrecked are better, those were at least running when they wrecked, ones that look "pretty" but are in a boneyard you want to look close, If it was nice, why is it there?)

Another option would be to find a parts vehicle (or maybe a better one) and pull the parts you need and sell off the rest.
Seat - $275.00, Trans - $200-$400.00 used (reman $1800.00), Trim parts and misc. - $100.00 VS. 04-06 parts rig - 1,500-2,000 and you could pull the parts you need.

Wish I was closer but NY would be a drive...

Lester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one on ebay may have a lot of the major parts that you are looking for.
I found it interesting that it has the 45RFE auto ******

Jeep Liberty Limited Sport Utility 4 Door | eBay

Here are the build sheet specs:

VIN 1J4GL58K73W502881
Vehicle Description 2003 JEEP LIBERTY LTD EDITION 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 4-DR
Convenience Group I
Power Convenience Group
Monotone Paint
136 Amp Alternator
600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
2nd Row Buckets, Power Fold/Tumble