Need 45RFE help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I changed, or am in the process of changing my 45RFE's fluid and filters. I bought Wix filters for my 2wd 03' liberty and I am having difficulties removing the main filter seal from the valve body. Is there a trick to this, or is a special tool needed? Also I forgot to pre-fill the spin on filter before I put it on and now it is torqued down unfilled. Do I need to remove this and fill it, and if so do I need to buy another filter because the main rubber gasket was already torqued down once? Any help, tips, etc. are appreciated, thanks!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've done the same thing with my oil filter.
I just removed it, filled it with oil and spun
it back on. No leaks and no problems!
I can't help you with the transmission though,
I bring our KJ to the dealership and have the
****** flushed and refilled.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
No special tool needed, and would just button up trany and fill,check fluid level shortly after running.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing in my 545, that ring seal is a *****. You either leave it alone or I used a narrow flathead and hammer to gently squish it a bit to pry it out. Should you have filled the canister? Yes. Is it going to kill it? Probably not.

Last edited: