Navigation Orientation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you with an RB1 (or other) navigation...

Do you like it set for an orientation of NORTH always being UP, or do you prefer your DIRECTION to always be up?

I'll not sure which way I prefer it yet, and wanted some opinions.

Gsan

Reaction score
My wife likes the map to move. I like the car/arrow to move. Doesn't it always default to the car moving? Or can you make it default so the map always moves?

What zoom level does everyone like too? Being able to see the street names that you pass at 1/8 mile is nice, but I'm usually on 1/2 mile. I'll use 2 or 5 mile only to get a general feel for which way I'm going, then switch to 1/2 mile.

Heh, also, yesterday, for the first time, I got her to say "Make a U-Turn whenever possible." Heh....

kopkrab.gif

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hover around 1/8 and 1/20. But even at the closest zoom, I find that there aren't too many street names shown. I guess room is an issue.

It'd be more helpful if more street names were crammed in there, regardless of the room.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I don't have an RB1, but when reading a map, I always move it so my direction is up....

so, yeah. Makes reading it much easier for me.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to navigate is to have the map oriented so that the map and your eyeball are looking ahead at the same thing. It can be confusing to see yourself going straight ahead while the map shows you going sideways or backwards.

The north up feature is good when you're studying the map but not driving. So it's nice to have both.

The two largest scales (1/8 and 1/20) display POI's and local street names -- good for close-in manuvering in town. The smaller scales are useful on longer trips so you can see what's coming up. Also, if you want to plot your destination by pointer, the smaller scales are good for moving the curser quickly. The route list works pretty well too, especially if you want to make some changes (due to traffic, etc.) that the computer doesn't recognize.

Gsan

Reaction score
I hate using the pointer, I find it very difficult.

Has anyone tried finding the closest McDonald's or other fast food? How about the closest Movie Theatre? Or BrewPub? This thing is great. Now if they only had more Chipotle Mexican Grill's listed... maybe in next year's software update.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you find "the nearest" anything? I'm still too new to know it all.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can search POI's by proximity. Just experiment around a little bit. In no time you'll be a master!

Gsan

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought POI's were going to be crappy like all the online mapping software, maybe a few government monuments, airports, etc. This thing (almost) has it all!