Mythbusters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone see mythbuster last night fron 10pm-11pm. They were talking about exploding pants and products that are supposedly to improve your gas mileage. They tested it on both carburated and FI motors. Acetone actually decreased the mpg's. They also tested out magnets and hydrogen cells. No improvements there. Later they put vegateble oil that they strained, not filtered, and they put it in a MB diesel. It actually decreased the mileage by three mpg, but it was free vegatable oil. Anyone try this on a CRD, straining old french fry oil using it as fuel!! :-k Wish I had a diesel. :-({|= BTW, they did explode the pants, and killed buster!

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... poor, poor Buster. That was sad. I've read a LOT about people use acetone with success and many state that the first tank does not improve, but after that it gets better. I also think it could be a subconcious thing where they have the acetone in and then drive less aggressive because of it and therefore get better gas milage. It's too much of a hassle for me.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or it could be that the acetone acts like a fuel injector cleaner and gives an increase to those that haven't been using an additve every couple months.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the straight filtered used oil. I heard that you should adjust the pH so it isn't corrosive and pit the cylinders.

ccattie

Reaction score
jeepkj02 - don't just run SVO. Its way too thick at normal temps. You'd need a whole greasecar system which heats it and all but the CRD I hear doesn't like SVO. You're better off converting it to BioD.
-c