My suggestion for a smoother idle!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He All:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Just thought I would share some good info for those of you with higher millage KJ`s. Every year I put some Sta-Bil gas treatment in my yard gear for winter. This stuff works great for those things so as the bottle recommends I used it in the KJ as well. I have 58K on the thing and this stuff did wonders for my idle. Smoothed it out and even quieted out the injector ticking noise some as well. Maybe many of you already know or even tried it before, but I thought I would pass it on anyway. its not something you would need to do every tank. Only once or twice a year type of thing.

telefunkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds interesting but a good fuel injector cleaner would probably give the same results, found this off the Sta-Bil website FAQ:

Q: Is STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer safe for fuel injectors and catalytic converters?
A: STA-BIL is safe to use in both fuel injected and carbureted engines, and will not damage catalytic converters or oxygen sensors. STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer prevents the formation of gums and varnish that can clog fuel injectors, and actually contains a fuel injector cleaner to further improve your engine’s performance.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Sta-Bil year round in all my small engines, snowblower, lawnmower, generator, chainsaw, etc.. Never used it in a full sized vehicle on purpose, but when the fuel in the gas jugs get six months old i dump them into one of the vehicles so i cycle all the gas jugs in the shed twice a year, and when i refill i put in the measured amount of Sta-Bil, so i am actually running Sta-Bil through the vehicles a couple times a year. Does wonders for the fuel system.

R

RoyalDudeness

Dude has some dual sparkle deal platinum plugs and the idle is very nice and smooth. Dudeski has had them in for over forty thousand miles and runs like a champ. I have a kay and ehn panel filter in the suck box and are getting over 150 miles just before half tank every time. I have read some scribes here and some people bash the Bosch but they are now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Dude has some dual sparkle deal platinum plugs and the idle is very nice and smooth. Dudeski has had them in for over forty thousand miles and runs like a champ. I have a kay and ehn panel filter in the suck box and are getting over 150 miles just before half tank every time. I have read some scribes here and some people bash the Bosch but they are now.

Sorry homeboy, but with 29k on ThunderbirdJunkie's plugs and an uncorrected speedometer with larger tires than stock (which means he is actually getting BETTER than indicated fuel economy) he's getting about the same calculated mileage as you, with single electrode autolite platinums.

This is on a 2002 with 149,000 miles.

Enjoy your rough idles and intermittent P0300s

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We've got 194870.7 Kilometers/121087.04 miles as of today and
we run stock Chrysler installed spark plugs.
Never add anything to the gas tank other than gasoline and our KJ
runs perfectly, smooth idle all the time.
We get a little over 300 miles to the tank full of fuel when on the highway
and that's with 245-75-16 inch Goodyear M/T R tires.
(The odometer has been re-calibrated for the increased tire diameter)
I only use Sta-bil in my lawn tractor and my 6 hp lawn mower durring
late fall through mid spring.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Moth balls are where it's at......doughpoke.gif

Well,was just going to leave it at that but I hope most realize the funning,some still won't get it.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry homeboy, but with 29k on ThunderbirdJunkie's plugs and an uncorrected speedometer with larger tires than stock (which means he is actually getting BETTER than indicated fuel economy) he's getting about the same calculated mileage as you, with single electrode autolite platinums.

This is on a 2002 with 149,000 miles.

Enjoy your rough idles and intermittent P0300s

how do you like those plugs? do you have a part number? i'll be upgrading mine soon.

R

RoyalDudeness

Homeboy? Not a chance; that's not the name, you should know the drill; Dude has gotten no codes and doesn't know what you are talking about. Dude has had them in for over forty thousand miles and jeep-baby runs smooth at idle. Every set of for wheels does not act the same. Dude doesn't see how you are telling him how his car runs when dude has explained it already but if it makes your pants creamier then ok.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AP3923 Regular old Autolite Platinums....

K&N filters are only for those who like sucking dirt through the engine...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Homeboy? Not a chance; that's not the name, you should know the drill; Dude has gotten no codes and doesn't know what you are talking about. Dude has had them in for over forty thousand miles and jeep-baby runs smooth at idle. Every set of for wheels does not act the same. Dude doesn't see how you are telling him how his car runs when dude has explained it already but if it makes your pants creamier then ok.

Dude needs to smoke less wacky tabacky...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

Cool story, Powerslave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
40,000 on a set of plugs is just being plain cheap, as in too cheap to change them out , change mine every 25000 or so and yes with 265-75s I can pull the same mileage almost

Members online

No members online now.