My stereo lights went out :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's a long shot.. And i'm sure the answer is no but i got to ask anyways.
to begin.. i have the stock single disc stereo.

As of Friday night the buttons on my stereo from the number 2 button and all to the left of it don't have any back lighting. The disc drive only lights up on right side now too. So basicly everything in the bottom left corner of the stereo doesn't light up. Is it possible to replace and bulbs in the stereo or is it a complete radio replacement?

It's 3 months off warranty I'm gonna do my best to get covered under warranty so wish me luck.

Thanks guys!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good Luck..
If my stock radio/cd was experiencing pop a light a phobia, I would replace it with a new after market unit. Then I could have a USB input for a thumb drive. Could upgrade speakers too.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Luck..
If my stock radio/cd was experiencing pop a light a phobia, I would replace it with a new after market unit. Then I could have a USB input for a thumb drive. Could upgrade speakers too.

Ditto. Before ordering a new radio I would take the old one apart and test the lights they use and if the bulbs are burnt just solder new ones on. Never taken a car stereo apart but it shouldn't be too difficult.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced the backlight bulbs in various car stereos over the years, generally they are small lamps called grain of wheat bulbs. Most Radio Shack stores carry them. Or you can go with an ultra bright LED and a dropping resistor to replace them as well for longer life, but its a lot more work than just putting in a new bulb.

From your description it could be just one bulb out but i wouldn't know until i took it apart in that situation. The usually use clear plastic pieces that span a larger area, the bulb lights that piece of refractive plastic and it acts like a light channel to light a few different points.

Couldn't hurt to spend some time taking it apart and checking the bulb!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I just got off the phone with the Jeep service rep at my dealer.. They said no they can't replace it under warranty b/c there "computer systems" won't allow it. So i'm gonna contact the sales rep who sold me the Jeep and see if he can push some buttons. I know i'm probably ******* in the Wind but it can't hurt to try.

I was thinking about pulling the stereo apart but that won't happen until it's months down the road. I just bought a home So i've been working on that. I'll probably end up replacing it with an after factory unit with an Aux port so I can hook my Sirius right up to it. My FM relay adapter is starting to go as well.

Maybe it's for the better! I haven't spent money on Jeep in a very long time :D

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online