My Liberty Towing A 53' Semi-Trailer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were in Southwest Utah this past weekend doing some easy off road trails. How do you like our camping trailer?

You must be registered for see images

Not really....

We came across this one very dumb A$$ truck driver's loaded 53 foot trailer. Out in the middle of nowhere, on a back country road, in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. He took a wrong turn and couldn't turn around. Instead of backing out while the road was still half way good, he just kept going and got himself stuck in the boonies, 30 miles south of the nearest town and 23 miles north of the nearest highway. I have no idea how he made it as far as he did and the road only got worse....

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like there is room to turn it around right there!
You're kidding, right? Staying on the road, the Liberty needs a 3 point turn. The shoulder is way too soft and there is a big dropoff on the other side. No way is a 18 wheeler going to do it....

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how long it's been there???

You shoulda checked inside. It's probably full of jeep parts....hot ones, it's probably 300 degrees in that trailer ....haha

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could have given it a tug :)

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how long it's been there???

You shoulda checked inside. It's probably full of jeep parts....hot ones, it's probably 300 degrees in that trailer ....haha

Dave
It had only been there a few hours before we came upon it. Tire tracks were still fresh. Most truckers use a super duper heavy duty lock to secure their doors, and I don't carry bolt cutters around with me LOL... I learned a long time, "if it ain't mine... leave it alone". :D

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seal is still there, looks like a bonded truck, I would say stay away from it!!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you bang on the sides to try and hear any movement? Maybe the trucker never "really" was lost and there is something in there. X-files...........

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it have a plate on it??

I wonder if it was left there on purpose and what is in it??

I would have reported it to the cops.

Dave

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the Mexicans he's smuggling into the states in that thing have a lot of water.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does bonded mean? doent that mean theres money or valuables in it? seems more like a crime scene than a mistake, soon to be **** lab?

btw azkj missed u all on the lost crown king run last weekend =(

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
what does bonded mean? doent that mean theres money or valuables in it? seems more like a crime scene than a mistake, soon to be **** lab?

btw azkj missed u all on the lost crown king run last weekend =(

Bonded means it can be moved without border clearance. Like from Mexico to Canada. OR
When a shipment comes in a certain port and you want it to move to another port without clearing customs, so it moves under US Customs bond, the truckers carry bonds against the value and duty of the goods in it, and the receiver can clear it from customs at wherever it is going. It cannot be moved to or opened or discharged at any other place than it should be going to..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Mexicans he's smuggling into the states in that thing have a lot of water.

No amount of water would help. That thing is probably 300 degrees inside in the desert heat. I sure hope no one was in there.

I can't imagine a truck driver going all the way out there "by mistake". It's probably full of contraband and someone is coming back for it. And if you're there at the wrong time, you will probably get shot. You never know what you will run across in out of the way places. That's why I ALWAYS carry when I even think I might be going in the boonies or off-road. There's some pretty desolate places up here in the mountains.

Dave

minimedic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad that y'all made it back safe. Hope the rest of the trip was fun and uneventful. I'll have to email ya with my little adventure north of Payson!! You'll get a laugh!:D

jcpryce

Reaction score
Bonded means it can be moved without border clearance. Like from Mexico to Canada. OR
When a shipment comes in a certain port and you want it to move to another port without clearing customs, so it moves under US Customs bond, the truckers carry bonds against the value and duty of the goods in it, and the receiver can clear it from customs at wherever it is going. It cannot be moved to or opened or discharged at any other place than it should be going to..

Its just a seal. Nearly every company puts them on to see if the load has been tampered with between warehouse and destination. Hell, Wal-mart even does it on their grocery trucks that travel as little as 2 miles from the warehouse to the store.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL… you guys are too funny with all your conspiracy theories.

No, the truck wasn’t bonded, it had a plastic seal and a lock which is pretty much standard procedure for the trucking industry. There was no US Custom seal.

I don’t know what was in it, but it was heavy and already sinking into the soft shoulder.

The trailer was not stolen, a big truck on that road is unheard of and would just attract attention unto itself. The road is frequently traveled by four wheelers, hardly a place to unload stolen goods. Also, whatever the load was, it would have taken way too many smaller trucks to haul the stuff out.

As for the illegal’s, it would be way too hot for anyone to survive inside the trailer. Besides it was going south, not north and away from Mexico

I did call the police after I got back to town. I also called the company‘s dispatch. The guy definitely took a wrong turn that put him on a paved road that went only to Kodachrome State Park. Upon reaching the park, he had but two choices… try a u-turn or continue on a dirt road through the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument area. He chose the dirt road getting so far in that there was no way he could ever turn around. I'll give him credit for getting as far as he did before dropping the trailer. I have 15 years experience driving big trucks and NO way would I have went on that road for any reason.

Swift Transportation, JB Hunt and some other mega trucking companies hire mostly inexperienced drivers right out of their own schools or private schools. Most truckers steer clear of them on the road. After the new guys gain experience, most move on after a year when their school tuitions are paid for. The majority of other trucking companies will not hire new drivers, most require 1-2 years OTR (over the road) experience.

It was most likely a new trucker with little experience who just got lost….

Last edited:

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have gotten a rock and smashed a hole in the side of the trailer, rule of thumb finders keepers, and why are you taking a picture of the padlock anyway, lol just kidding guys, could Idea to leave it alone though

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where do you think half the stuff from eBay comes from....