My Libby Done Me Wrong--WEIRD Noise(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello.

I've never seen this problem on the forum before.

I've taken my Libby to my mechanic twice and he can't figure out what's going on. They've checked the brake pads (they are about 6 months old) the suspension, etc. They've tighten everything that can be tightened...the whole 9 yards.

Here is the problem:

Noises coming from 2 places.

Noise 1-
Comes from the front when I brake. It's a grinding type noise. It only happens when the I step on the brake pedal about 3/4 of the way. It doesn't make it if I brake almost all the way down or just 1/3 in--at least most of the time. ALSO...the noise doesn't start until about 15 minutes after I start driving. The more I drive the louder it gets.

To test if it's the suspension I've driven it over bumps at different speeds or through dips...but there is no noise.

The breaks work really well...very responsive.

Noise 2-
Sounds like a nail with a big head is stuck on the read left tire (driver side). click click click click. I've checked there is nothing on the tire.

The noise gets worse the more I drive. But it stops if I"m braking...yeap...the opposive of Noise 1. So the tire keeps moving but as long as I have pressure on the brake pedal the noise goes away.

(dunno)

The noises are different in the front and in the back.

Started at around the same time--Noise 2 maybe a week or two later.

Any ideas?

I really appreciate your help.

Steve

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the clicking, rotate the tires, sees if it moves.

On the metal scraping noise, I'm going to suspect a brake issue. Have you determined whether the noise is specifically on the left front or right front? Drive around with a friend, go into a parking lot, drive by the friend and brake. Often times someone outside the car can identify or pinpoint sounds more than someone in the car where sounds are being transmitted through the frame and floorboards.

Consider putting it up on jackstands and have someone rotate the front wheels then start pressing the brake. That may help pinpoint it.

Lastly, inspect your brake pads, see if they're unevenly worn. And what are the condition of the front rotors? Remove wheels and look at outer and inner rotor surfaces to see if something (like a worn pad) is scraping rotors. You may have a bad caliper.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
if this were from a seized caliper it would make the noise all the time, and not change when on the brakes.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if this were from a seized caliper it would make the noise all the time, and not change when on the brakes.

Not necessarily. I just had a bad caliper and because of it, it prematurely wore through the pad and scraped only when I pressed the brake. The caliper piston was retracting enough for the pad to stop scraping metal, but caused the premature wear. I only discovered it when I tried to fully compress the piston to replace the pads... and it wouldn't compress far enough to allow me to get my new pads over the new rotor.

Of course you would assume that his mechanic would have noticed a completely worn pad, but... (dunno)

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Drive around with a friend, go into a parking lot, drive by the friend and brake. Often times someone outside the car can identify or pinpoint sounds more than someone in the car where sounds are being transmitted through the frame and floorboards.

X2 I have found this to be one of the most affective ways of pinpointing issues associated with noise. Regardless of which vehicle it was.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tjkj said. But until you positively identify the exact location and source of the noise (using the methods described above) it's largely irrelevant. Divide and conquer. The 'tick tick' you hear that sounds like a nail head in your tire-- I would consider to be a 'low priority noise'. Figure it out last. The sound of scraping metal-- I would categorize as a 'high priority noise' and get to figuring that out post haste. Figure that one out first, mitigate it, then move on to the second noise.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the noise at the front since you replaced the front brake pads? Are they genuine parts? Some aftermarket pads have a harder compound or sintered linings and can cause a bit of noise when they are used? Just a thought. And the noise at the rear sounds like something stuck deep in the tread of the tyre and when you brake, the weight transfer sends some of the weight to the front which makes the rear go a bit lighter so the tyres are not as compressed onto the road so the small stone/nail etc doesn't actually touch the road? Just another guess. Like all things in life, there is a reason for everything, you just have to find it! :D

Moab

Reaction score
Put the spare on that front corner - if the sound goes away have the tire checked again. I pull a wheel where the braking noise is coming from and use some brake clean and get your eyes on it. I'd pull the Caliper off the rotor and check the front wheel bearings while I was at it.

I remember I had some funny noises from upfront when braking on my 03' Wrangler and after a thorough inspection and cleaning I found nothing and after I put her back together the sound was gone and stayed gone....got to love it.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the spare on that front corner - if the sound goes away have the tire checked again. I pull a wheel where the braking noise is coming from and use some brake clean and get your eyes on it. I'd pull the Caliper off the rotor and check the front wheel bearings while I was at it.

I remember I had some funny noises from upfront when braking on my 03' Wrangler and after a thorough inspection and cleaning I found nothing and after I put her back together the sound was gone and stayed gone....got to love it.

But did you have parts left over? leghump.gif

I'm here all week.

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the noise at the front since you replaced the front brake pads? Are they genuine parts? Some aftermarket pads have a harder compound or sintered linings and can cause a bit of noise when they are used? Just a thought. And the noise at the rear sounds like something stuck deep in the tread of the tyre and when you brake, the weight transfer sends some of the weight to the front which makes the rear go a bit lighter so the tyres are not as compressed onto the road so the small stone/nail etc doesn't actually touch the road? Just another guess. Like all things in life, there is a reason for everything, you just have to find it! :D

I like the way you think :)