My JK Updated...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my '99 TJ and bought a JK Wrangler X in Nov '08, it's almost where I want it for what I use it for!!

- BFG M/T KM2 285/75-16
- Eagle Alloy 16x8 wheels
- Rubicon Express 2.0 BB coil spacer lift w/monotube shocks
- OEM Rubicon rock rails

Still on my wish list:

- JKS Quicker Disconnects
- Power Tank 10# Co2 system
- Mopar off road front and rear bumpers
- KC Hi-Lite slim off road lights (4)
- regear

The front and rear bumpers are 24" off the ground, the rock rails are 20" and I have just over 13" clearance on both differentials.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZKJ, that is a really nice JK you have there. I like the 2 door better than the 4 door too. That is just my personal preference.

Dave

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
i like the 2 door but the 4 doors have grown on me tho in the right color. there is a woman here with that color in a 4 door with the same wheels and tires and it looks great

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks so much better with the lift!

On a side note, how are you liking those KM2's? Do they chunk in the rocks? My MT/R's are tore up and I am thinking about getting these when mine are toast.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks so much better with the lift!

On a side note, how are you liking those KM2's? Do they chunk in the rocks? My MT/R's are tore up and I am thinking about getting these when mine are toast.

Thanks!!

So far so good. I have almost 10k on the KM2's. Some small chunks missing here and there, but nothing serious. I had good luck with the old style BFG M/T's too.

AJ

JTPhotoJK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very Nice. That is the perfect set up for a daily driver, but able to go offroad as well. Both the 4dr and 2dr have their place in my heart. We have both.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For AZKJ - invest in my KJ or buy a JK?

Hi AZKJ,

Nice Wrangler you have there. Since you have a KJ, I think you're the person to ask. I'm getting ready to invest maybe $4,000 in my 6 spd 2007 Liberty - lift, UCA, skids, tires, radio etc. Would this be better spent on a new 6 spd Wrangler. I'm not a hard-core off roader, but mainly a bad mountain road user, lots of ruts, and slow going. Thing is, I like the 6 spd/engine combo in the Liberty, the handling, room, etc. Good vehicle for mountain trails in northeastern Mexico. It definitely needs the lift and skids. Once I start spending money on it, I keep it for a long, long time. Since you've owned both, how do the two compare? I know the JK is better off-road, but what about for general driving? Is the 6 spd the same one that is in my KJ? Thanks.

Gene, in Brownsville, Texas

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have have both, an '08 JK X and an '06 KJ Sport. But, the JK came at a cost... I had to sell my TJ and Crossfire in order to get it.

Where to spend your money? Only you can decide for yourself. Is your KJ paid for? That would factor in if it were me. It also depends on what you want to use it for. They are two completely different vehicles with different capabilities. For where you want to use it off road... with good off road driving skills, good A/T tires and full skids, the KJ will get you places you never thought a stock height Liberty would go. My stock height KJ has been on many medium rated trails and I've been able to keep up with the lifted KJ's on most of them.

The JK is roomier, more comfortable and is much more capable with it's higher ground clearance. On the other hand, I prefer the 3.7 auto in my KJ over the 3.8 6-speed in my JK. The JK is a slug compared to the KJ. The difference is day and night. Believe it or not, the KJ is geared better than the JK which is only 3.21 on the X model... go figure.

If I had to pick, and could afford only one, I guess I'd have to go with the KJ because I think it's built better, makes for a better daily driver, and can still do most of the trails I like to do.

The only thing I can really suggest to you is to go on a long test drive in the JK and see which you like best for your needs.

Good luck and keep us informed what you decide on... ;)

My friend Silverdiesel and myself on top of a fin on the Fins 'n' Things trail in Moab this past October. He went every where I did in his CRD with just a 1" lift....

Silverdiesel getting read to go nose first down an 8' ledge in Moab....

So now you see why it's hard for me to make a suggestion to you, the KJ is a very capable off road vehicle....

Last edited:

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will stay with KJ

Hi!

Thanks for answering back. I've got about 1 yr. left to pay off the KJ, economically it doesn't make sense to through all that away. I still have reservations about doing all that work on the Liberty, but will go ahead. Two really big reasons - (1.) I travel a lot in northeastern Mexico, no, it's not like Sinaloa or Chihuahua, but a JK will attract a lot of attention, whereas the Liberty may fly under radar, and (2.) what I suspected and you confirmed, the gearing, tires, height, etc. in the Wrangler use up a lot of power. I've been sitting on the fence for about 6 months trying to decide whether to do a buildup or not, but it looks like I'm going to go ahead. First comes the lift, then the skids, then a set of 245/75 tires - about 1 yr. to do all this.

I'm 64, will retire in 2-3 yrs. - this will be the retirement/travel vehicle. Your comments were a big help.

Gene

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New 4.56 gears!!!

Here are a few pics with the Jeep in disarray... it's scary to see the whole front end torn apart. The back end wasn't as scary looking.

Hmmm... those look like my tires and wheels, the axles must be mine too....

The right front torn apart....

The left front....

The front end up close and personal....

The back end gutted....

The old carrier on the left, the new one with gears on the right. The new carrier looks a lot more beefy....

So.... it looks like my build is "almost" complete!!

'08 Jeep Wrangler JK X 6-speed

Completed:

- Debadged (only club decals, got groceries? sticker, and USAF badges remain)
- Yukon 4.56 gears (replaced the crappy 3.21 stock gears)
- BFG M/T KM2 285/75-16 tires (33x11.5)
- Eagle Alloy 16" brushed aluminum wheels
- Mopar Rubicon rock rails
- Rubicon Express 2.0" coil spacer lift w/monotube shocks
- JKS sway bar quick disconnects
- TeraFlex heavy duty steering stabilizer
- MasterCraft grab handles
- Optima red top battery
- Front and rear axle vent tubes extended
- Cargo stop installed behind the front seats
- Vanity mirrors permanently installed on the sun visors
- Mopar gas cap cover
- Mopar heavy duty slush mats
- Shorty radio antenna
- Staun tire deflators
- 2.5lb fire extinguisher
- Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB radio peaked and tuned
- 3' FireStik antenna
- Garmin 60CSx GPS with 100k Southwest topo maps

To do list:

- Power Tank 10# Co2 system
- 4 KC Hi Lite off road lights
- Front and rear off road bumpers
- Oil pan skid plate
- Evaporator skid plate or relocate it
- Relocate muffler

J - Just
E - Empty
E - Every
P - Pocket

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Noticed that...any plans for a locker or LSD?

Anyway, really like your JK and the mod list.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he mentioned it and also suggested 4.88 gears... but you have to remember he's in the business of selling parts, fixing and building Jeeps. After telling him that I wasn't a ********* rock crawler like he is, he agreed I didn't need the 4.88's and lockers. So... no real need to spend the extra $$$ for the moderate to slightly difficult rated trails I run. When the going does get rough... you would be surprised that going slow with the proper gearing, and picking the right lines more often than not will get you up and over.

Thanks for the comments on my Jeep!!

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZKJ, how does your jeep perform with the 4.56 gears? There should be a heck of a difference going from 3.21 I would guess. Probably just right?

Dave

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good!! Took it on the freeway for the first time today. It buzzes right along and keeps on going. It's like a different vehicle. I have another 250 miles of break in before I can check out for 4wd for real. I cheated the other day and climbed a pretty good sized curb (got groceries??) to try and get some idea of how it's gonna do. It may not sound like much, but it went up and over without giving it any gas. If you drove it before you know it would stall just looking at a rock.

In short... I'm really impressed and glad I spent the $$$ Can't wait to get it out on the trail!!

Latest posts

Members online