My Jeep is POSESSED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm relatively new here, great to find a place with a wealth of info!

So my 03 Liberty 3.7 with 98K miles is stalling out on me intermittently. It's got a handful of weird symptoms, and not sure which (if any) are related to the cause.

1) The MAIN problem is that my Liberty keeps stalling out. The engine just stops- no sputtering, jerking, etc. It's as if I turned the key off. More often than not it happens when I've been driving 40+ and come to a stop or get off on an exit. When it dies, the tach seems crazy, jumping back and forth all over the place even though the engine is not running. It usually take a few tries to get it restarted. The engine cranks but doesn't "catch" until the 3rd or 4th try. It sometimes tries to start and the tach goes crazy and dies again.

2) When running, the Tach seems to continually adjust anywhere from about 500 to 1100, even after it's warm and been running for quite a while.

3) Sometimes the overhead lights flicker on and off, and the dashlights get bright/dim. I figured this was a switch on a door or gate, but would that affect the dimming as well? Anyway I dialed the dimmer on the turn signal back to off. This problem has been going on for about a year, WAY before my Liberty was stalling.

4) The engine isn't "pulling." Typically if I'm at a stop and lift my foot off the brake, the engine will pull me slowly forward. Now sometimes it won't. In fact, sometimes it seems like I need to give it a little gas to get going. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "slip," but along the same lines.

5) My check engine light came on about a year ago, and the code came up as an O2 sensor. It was intermittent and they said don't worry about it, especially if it's not continuous. It went away relatively quickly.

The first time my Liberty died, I pulled the codes and I got 4 of them-

#P0841 – Trans Fluid Press Sensor/ Switch A / CKT range/perf
#P0340 – Camshaft Position Sensor A- Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction
#P0122 – TPS/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input
#P1299 – Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering

I took it to a shop, they replaced the plugs (98K miles) and recommended new Coils, a new Throttle Body, and about 4 other sensors. It seemed like they didn’t have a clue and were throwing the kitchen sink at it, so I stuck with the plugs only and would try to figure it out with other help.

I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor but a couple days later it continued stalling. Now when I pull the codes it still shows #P0340 Camshaft Positions Sensor and #P0841 Trans Fluid Pressure.

So I’m at a complete loss! I don’t want to go to the dealer for sensors I can easily replace. Nor do I want to have them start replacing things willy-nilly. So I’m at your mercy, hoping someone might have a few ideas for me. (PHEW, I know that’s a lot of detail!)

-Jonathan

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definately replace the crank sensor, i replaced 2-3 of them on kj's a week. be careful not to break the sensor off in the engine block as it is easy to do. a rust ridge builds on th outside of the rubber o-ring on the block(some do it some dont) may be possible the trans code is related.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and i'll bet your multifunction switch(left stalk) is your lights flickering problem. typical on older kj's as well

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked and or tested your battery and alternator, specifically the alternator?

Diesel

Reaction score
definately replace the crank sensor, i replaced 2-3 of them on kj's a week. be careful not to break the sensor off in the engine block as it is easy to do. a rust ridge builds on th outside of the rubber o-ring on the block(some do it some dont) may be possible the trans code is related.

I'll check that out, seems like it won't be too difficult to do. Do you think the crank sensor could be causing these issues even though it's not throwing a crank sensor code?

and i'll bet your multifunction switch(left stalk) is your lights flickering problem. typical on older kj's as well

That's what I thought. Is that something one can do themselves?

have you checked and or tested your battery and alternator, specifically the alternator?

Not yet, although the battery is about 1 year old. I'll try having the alternator tested. It doesn't seem like I'm having any issues with the battery charging, as it always seems to turn the engine over easily enough. But what do I know???

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel, the multifunction switch is easy to do.
(Since you're working at the steering wheel, and don't want the airbag to pop you on the nose, unhook the battery negative and wait for 15 minutes.)
Just unscrew the two screws under the plastic cowl that surrounds the steering column, unclip the two halves (top and bottom) and remove the cowl. Then unplug the multifunction switch, lift it out, and reverse the process for install.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid about $100 CDN plus taxes at the dealership b/c I couldn't find it anywhere else...but this is northern B.C....likely be a lot less in your area.

Last edited:

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p0340 is a crank sensor dtc and yes it can cause your kj to stall and have prolong crank time. even though the crank sensor is bad it can still run off the cam sensor, just cranks longer to get started

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p0340 is a crank sensor dtc and yes it can cause your kj to stall and have prolong crank time. even though the crank sensor is bad it can still run off the cam sensor, just cranks longer to get started
P0340 code is for the Camshaft sensor,not the crankshaft.

P0335-P0339 = Crankshaft codes
P0340-P0349 = Camshaft codes

Diesel

Reaction score
P0340 code is for the Camshaft sensor,not the crankshaft.

P0335-P0339 = Crankshaft codes
P0340-P0349 = Camshaft codes

That's what I thought, so I replaced the Camshaft Sensor and it didn't seem to change a thing.

Any idea what could cause a GOOD Camshaft Sensor to throw a code?

Last edited:

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought, so I replaced the Camshaft Sensor and it didn't seem to change a thing.

Any idea what could cause a GOOD Camshaft Sensor to throw a code?

if the cam sensor has been replaced, the only other options would be the pcm, pcm to cam sensor wiring or tone wheel on camshaft. and it sounds like tjkj2002 is happy he caught me slipping up.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the cam sensor has been replaced, the only other options would be the pcm, pcm to cam sensor wiring or tone wheel on camshaft. and it sounds like tjkj2002 is happy he caught me slipping up.
It still could be a bad crank sensor,seen the PCM throw the wrong code before on Jeeps,seems like there PCM's can't tell the difference between the crank or the cam,no big deal.I'd try the crank sensor if that does not help time for a PCM or start tracing wires.

EDIT:

Since seeing your other post about the speedo I'd check that first,may be your whole problem.

Last edited:

Diesel

Reaction score

It still could be a bad crank sensor,seen the PCM throw the wrong code before on Jeeps,seems like there PCM's can't tell the difference between the crank or the cam,no big deal.I'd try the crank sensor if that does not help time for a PCM or start tracing wires.

Thanks guys, I'll try replacing the Crank Sensor and cross my fingers that it fixes my problem.

Diesel

Reaction score
OK, so as it turns out I think the problem was the throttle position sensor. It seems to be running much better with a new one. The tach does seem to search a tiny bit still, but overall much better.

Not sure if anyone cares or is interested, but I'm working on posting a video I took with my phone showing the tach going really nuts before I replace the TPS...

Diesel

Reaction score
OK, so as it turns out I think the problem was the throttle position sensor. It seems to be running much better with a new one. The tach does seem to search a tiny bit still, but overall much better.

Well I spoke too soon. Should've known better than to claim it was fixed. It stalled out a couple times yesterday again, same problems.

The ONLY code it's throwing now is the camshaft position sensor, which I JUST replaced a week or so ago. What are the odds that I bought and replaced it with a bad one? I'll try another, but it seems like maybe this is a SYMPTOM, not the root CAUSE of the stalling. Thoughts or comments?