My Jeep does a few weird things.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50+ mph the whine just gets louder. I don't hear it much if at all below 50 mph. I can control how loud the whine is somewhat by how much gas I give it. If I let off and coast, no whine. If I give it just a little gas, LOUD whine. If I give it enough gas to speed up some, the whine is not as loud.

I have the EXACT same thing happening on my 2006. I'm going to pay close attention to this. I guess I better pass on a new EOTech for my AR and save the money.

Just Last month, they checked the Front and rear axle fluids and diffs. Flushed and replaced the Rear . . . they said the front didn't need it yet. Makes sense to me, I'm only in 4x4 probably less than 5% of the miles I put on.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the EXACT same thing happening on my 2006. I'm going to pay close attention to this. I guess I better pass on a new EOTech for my AR and save the money.

Just Last month, they checked the Front and rear axle fluids and diffs. Flushed and replaced the Rear . . . they said the front didn't need it yet. Makes sense to me, I'm only in 4x4 probably less than 5% of the miles I put on.

Doesn't matter dude. The front is still spinning even in 2wd. Just because there isn't torque applied doesn't mean you shouldn't swap out gear oils. It still gets hot and it still sees a load. Front and rear have the same interval, so do them at the same time.

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It still gets hot and it still sees a load. Front and rear have the same interval, so do them at the same time.

Yeah, you're right. But the Jeep service dept said it was good when they checked, so I'll wait another 10-20k mi and have it checked again.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change mine religiously every 20K kms (12500 miles) but seeing as your KJ isn't my ride home I suppose you can do what you want.

Powerman04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be in a little late on this but here is the TSB referring to one of your issues (2 or 3, after reading 5 pages i don't remember :rolleyes:). I plan on taking this to the dealer to help with describing my issue and hope and pray it doesn't cost me 2 arms and that they will actually warrant my complaint.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_2100207b.pdf

Xplaced

Reaction score
A lot has happened since my last reply on this. Just wanted to update you guys. The Jeep is still not exactly trouble free, but doing better.

I've been to two different shops, twice each. The Jeep dealer shop I took it to did the following:

*Replaced the 4x4 guts. (Didn't resolve issue at all, because it wasn't the problem to begin with)
*Replaced the rear gear guts. (Resolved whine issue for about 100-150 miles)

So, I took it to a local shop since the Jeep dealer didn't seem to know what they were doing.

*Replaced rear gear guts again. That fixed it for about 100 miles, then the problem returned in force! The inside of the Jeep sounded like I was running down the road on huge knobby off-road tires, but the noise was all inside. Going 40mph, I'd have to semi-yell to talk to a passenger in the car or they couldn't hear me over the noise.

*Took it back to the shop. They said they replaced the rear like the Dodge dealer did. They got the schematics and did the repair again. This time they said the Dodge dealer left out a piece, so they did too since they replaced it the same way. They replaced it with the piece this time included. :p

I've gone probably 200 miles and I'm not having any major issues. However, there is a noise from the rear still that wasn't there until the second shop replaced the gears. It sounds like cicadas, the faster I go. At 60mph or so it sounds louder, but not really loud.

The mechanic that worked on it said the gears might make some noise until they settle in with each other. So I'm waiting to see if this is that noise, and it'll fade out over time. If not, I need to take it back to them. In the meantime I'm driving it around as much as I can to see if I have anymore issues. Gotta get it worked on while it is under (extended!) warranty. Too bad it costs me $100 a pop. Could be a LOT worse though. I've only spent $200 though, since it was brought back to both shops after the initial "repair".

Anyhow, what do you guys think of the rear "cicada" noise? Any idea what that might be? I didn't hear it until the gears were replaced by the second shop. It sounds this way after both times being replaced there, but the horrible issues from the first replacement (at the 2nd shop) are not there. If I have the window cracked, I can't hear the "cicada" noise. But it's still there. :)

@Powerman04 - that link you posted doesn't work for some reason.

Last edited:

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tire sizes, if I wrote this down right, are:

P225/75/R16

I assumed that was the stock size, but I could be wrong. I didn't look it up yet!

I would have guessed the speedo was off due to tire size also. Since I got the vehicle used, it might be possible that I have different tires on it than the original. My tires are really nice though, so I like 'em. :D They were brand new on the vehicle when I got it. Still had the little flippy things sticking out all over 'em. :cool:

They are Goodyear Wrangler tires.

It looks like that is the stock tire size after all, according to discounttire.com.

P225/75/R16 is the tire size that came on my 2005 KJ and my speedo off also but it is now dead on since I installed P245/70/R16s

KJJ

Reaction score
Speaking of wierd things... On my way home today from filling the gas tank I'm on a downhill incline, I had the air up a liitle so I reached down and turned the blower down to low then right after as I'm turning into my driveway my KJ dies. That's never happened before. Started right back up, then again just to make sure once I had parked. I'm spooked now, don't want the darn thing dying while I'm driving down the road (had a labaron that used to do that years ago, mechanic found the pick-up coil was bad). This one is my '06 and I've only been driving it for about a couple weeks. Don't know if the air had anything to do with it but it does seem odd that it happened right after I turned the air down to low.

Anyone else have their Liberty die for no apparent reason?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Some bad gas? Water in fuel? Use a methanol fuel staybilizer added to gas tank.
Rpm dropped low before it died?- Clean the throttle body & IAC and port.

KJJ

Reaction score
Some bad gas? Water in fuel? Use a methanol fuel staybilizer added to gas tank.
Rpm dropped low before it died?- Clean the throttle body & IAC and port.

Thanks! Hasn't done it since, been driving it regularly. (knock on wood) Have noticed when stopped that I can hear a whisper like whine and the rpms do drop right as that is happening. I think I'll take it in to be looked at just to be careful.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
IAC is easy !! Try this before you take it in!
READ this link! http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47972
Also consider immediately getting a bottle of Chevron Techron and add that to half a tank of fuel!
I use Chevron mid grade fuel only and add the bottle of Techron 4 times a year.
Keeps injector clean and valves too!
40774[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• ChevronTechron.jpg
    ChevronTechron.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0

KJJ

Reaction score
Thanks again LibertyTC. I'll have to give this a try. Bookmarked it for the weekend.