My Jeep does a few weird things.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xplaced

Reaction score
Guess that blows my theory then. :eek:

Well, I see Jeep tuners, but not Liberty specific tuners. I'll keep looking.

This works for Jeep Liberty, but to '06.
http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS-P1030&cat=41

I see performance chips and things like that, but not a lot in the way of tuners. I don't have a lot of time to look right now though either.

Last edited:

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Go to Jeep's website and put in your VIN. it will give you any missed recalls and TSBs.

Also, the only *real* problem ThunderbirdJunkie sees is you keep talking about your car on a Jeep site:p
The only "car" ThunderbirdJunkie has is a 1994 Toyota Paseo. His Jeep is a Jeep ;)

In all seriousness, you can't go into owning your Jeep with the mindset that it is just a car. It is a high performance machine, like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, built for a purpose. It, like a Ferrari or Lamborghini, is a bad-ass vehicle for that purpose (which is going off road, rather than going fast, like the Ferrari/Lamborghini) and as a result, it doesn't act like other vehicles that are considered to be in its class (like the Ford Escape, Honda CRV, etc) because they are boring transportation boxes and not bad-ass high performance machines, just as a Ferrari F430 is not in the same class, and would not be considered "as refined", as something like a Mercedes Benz SL600, despite costing about the same and being in the same "class". It's a gutteral, gritty machine with what people that want a CAR would call faults.

Hopefully ThunderbirdJunkie explained why you shouldn't call your Jeep a "car" in a satisfactory manner :) Also, the only people that have chronic issues out of their Jeeps are the ones that call them cars.
(ms5490renegade, ThunderbirdJunkie is looking in your direction:p)

Now if only that could be my signature quote! ThunderbirdJunkie I couldn't have said it better myself.

Xplaced

Reaction score
I took the Jeep to the shop this morning. I told them about the whine, speedo being off and fuel tank spurting gas when it fills up. Hopefully it'll come back all fixed up.

I am currently driving a Ford Fusion. It's actually a pretty good car. Ford has stepped their stuff up. I had an '06 Mustang before the Jeep, and it was really nice also. Still prefer my Jeep though.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
There ya go... 8 sentences without angering the Jeep Gods!

Seriously though ... good luck with your fix.

Xplaced

Reaction score
Just updating the thread. I took the Jeep in early Thursday morning week before last, but didn't get it back until the next Friday. They didn't even start working on it that I'm aware of until Tuesday morning... anyway, I got it back finally and I can't tell it was worked on at all.

The whine in the back is exactly the same and the speedo is still off just like it was. Aside from the sheet they handed me saying what was done to the vehicle (bearings replaced) I can't tell they worked on it at all.

I called them and complained, saying basically that aside from that sheet they handed to me, I can't tell they did anything with it. So, I'm taking it back there Monday of next week so they can work on it first thing in the morning and resolve the problem in a week's time.

I'm no mechanic, but I think it's the rear gears. I had a Mustang that I had 4.10 gears put in, and it had a slight whine after that. It was nearly identical to this, except the Jeep sounds about 5x louder. 50+ mph the whine just gets louder. I don't hear it much if at all below 50 mph. I can control how loud the whine is somewhat by how much gas I give it. If I let off and coast, no whine. If I give it just a little gas, LOUD whine. If I give it enough gas to speed up some, the whine is not as loud. Basically maintaining speed makes it the loudest, or giving it just at little gas while going downhill.

What do you guys think? Rear gear whine or something else? If I get a chance, I'm going to post a video of the whine on YouTube and link to it from here sometime this evening or this week.

By the way, I decided to name my Jeep "Warthog". I know, that's not really related to the post at all, but just thought I'd share.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Xplaced...what size tires are on your Jeep?

Stock KJ speedometers normally run a little high. ThunderbirdJunkie's was about 2 or 3 mph high at 60 on stock size tires.

The rearend whine: does it change when steering/changing lanes? get worse on the throttle or cruising?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
DID they pull the cover on the rear diff and inspect/clean the gears up with brake cleaner spray, get you new lube in there? Amazing how dirty that lube can get if you do not change it frequently. The service should be done on your rear diff every 20k miles!. GL5-75W-90 or you can use a bit thicker 75W-140 if you intend on pulling. Get this done and report back if that helped.
How hot are those u joints getting on the drive shaft?

Last edited:

Xplaced

Reaction score
TBJ, do you always talk about yourself in the third person? It's kind of distracting, I thought you were someone else referencing TBJ at first....

I have stock tires so I think everything is ok there. Also the noise is no different when changing lanes. As I said before it only changes if I go faster or slower, or change how much I push the gas pedal.

LibertyTC - I have no idea about the stuff you asked. The sheet I had showing what they did showed quarts being added, but I don't know to what exactly. Sorry I am not much help.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the noise changes when accelerating decelerating, it's probably a diff/pinion issue. Find out anything yet?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would get clarification on exactly what was performed to your Jeep.
This must be a local type garage doing the work, as dealer lists are fairly descriptive.
Which tires brand/model do you have on there? ie: GoodyYear ST?-SRA?
When I first bought my Kj It had the stock tires on and they were real noisy, even with 50 percent on them, they were useless even in the rain!. I purchased a set Of GoodYear Wrangler, Silent Armor Kevlar belted and yep they were silent compared to the stock crappy tires, so I am wondering how much rotating noise you are getting from the tires alone. 5o mph is when the stock tires got real noisy.

Green Liberty

Reaction score
07 Liberty

I have an 07 which I bought new. From day one I have had the same rhythmic noise at about 45-50 mph. Hard to describe the noise.
I now have 61,000 miles and its still there and hasnt been a problem.

As for the speedometer, mine has always been off about 3 mph from day one also. I started off with 225-75-16 tires and switched to 235-70-16 and its the same.

The only whining I hear is when I let off the gas when I am above 55 or so, there is a slight whining that lasts till it gets down to about 40-45. Again-has done that from day one.

Xplaced

Reaction score
Green Liberty:
I've had my Jeep for about 4k miles now. I got it used. It has made this noise since I've had it. So it might have sounded this way for a long time but I'm not sure. Either way, I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to make this noise. It's really loud on the interstate. The faster you go, the louder it gets.

I spoke with a mechanic friend and he said he thinks it is the rear gears. That's what I think too, so I'm going to suggest this to the dealer I'm having look at my Jeep.

LibertyTC:
It's a dealer that's doing the work. They did give me a specific sheet with all they did, I just don't have it with me to write it all down. Bearings in the transfer case is the gist of it.

The main problem I have with them is that the "in" and "out" mileage is the same number. That means that the dealer didn't bother to test drive the vehicle after the "repair", meaning they had no idea if the problem was resolved or not before they gave it back to me. So, needless to say, I will not be paying them $100 more deductible to repair the same problem when I have written proof that they didn't even test drive it to see if the problem was resolved before giving it back to me.

Last edited:

Xplaced

Reaction score
Finally got the Jeep back last week sometime. Just wanted to update you guys.

The rear whine was the rear gears, as I suspected. They replaced those and it is quiet now. So even though I had to take it to the dealer twice, I now also have new bearings and oil in the transfer case too (since that did not fix the problem the first time).

It has some kind of new noise now, though I'm not sure what it is. I don't think it's a problem so I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets worse. I thought it was tire roar at first, but it is only heard when the gas is pushed lightly and released at certain speeds (around 45). I think it might still be the rear gears, just a different noise now. However like I said, it isn't bad and I don't think it's a problem so I am not going to let it concern me unless it for some reason gets worse.

So for the most part, I am using a quieter Jeep than before and am happy with the results now. I'm just glad they fixed it the second time around without trying to charge me a deductible again. But since the problem was never resolved, they wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if it came down to proof.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'd be concerned that you still have a problem which might be expensive to fix if it wasn't done right the first or second time.