My first KJ--My first problem--Wheels spin on wet pavement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most use 4 Hi in dirt/gravel and dont need to either, this is almost as severe.

In my last vacations I drove over dirt and gravel (among other surfaces)... I used 4Part and I thought that was a wise choice b/c the traction in the front wheels was the only thing keeping me on the road in the curves (mountain at one side, cliff on the other)... I'm pretty sure that 2WD wasn't enough...

¿Should I'd used 4Full instead 4Part? ¿What should I do if I don't have SelectTrac? :confused:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youve got to remember that the Kj is a rear wheel drive so any tire will spin in the rain if you are in the right conditions. Usually at a red-light you may of noticed the black-top is packed down or has alot of oil/tar built up from cars constantly sitting there. This portion of the road will always be more slick than other parts of the road in rain which leads to tires spinning.

given that, the stock tires suck anyway so they need to be replaced.

Why did you say the liberty is rear wheel drive so that means any wheel can spin Mr. Jeepster? That makes no sense!

:D

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always get confused when I read forums of wheel spin on wet roads I have never had bad breaking or wheel spin when the roads are wet. i still have the Stock Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts on.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try not to give too much wrong information... you can use 4 hi as long as your tires arent on dry pavement etc, and you arent turning your wheels too much,that's what causes them to bind. Most use 4 Hi in dirt/gravel and dont need to either, this is almost as severe.

I agree. Popping it into 4hi for 15 or 20' on wet pavement when your rear tires are slipping probably isn't going to cause you any t-case problems. When my original stock Wrangler ST's were worn out, Seattle hills can cause some major headaches. When at the very peak of a hill, if my rear wheels were spinning, I'd (rarely) pop it into 4hi to get rolling, then immediately pop it out.

That's not going to kill anyone's t-case. But when you turn, even on wet pavement-- and sometimes even in light snow, you'll feel the wheels begin to bind up, and you'll actually have trouble turning the car. That's a serious *danger*danger*will-robinson* moment.

AJ'S KJ

Reaction score
So I've read this whole post and I'm kindda confused about the part time 4wd on pavement and part time on gravel or "slippery" stuff. If i understand this right since the front wheels are slipping it raises the front wheel rpm since there is less traction that making it ok to use and cause no damage to the T-case? If I'm totally out to lunch could someone please quickly explain it to me. I had no idea that using part time on pavement was bad. And sorry to bring up an old post but I'm new to the whole 4x4 world.:p
Thanks,
Andrew

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've read this whole post and I'm kindda confused about the part time 4wd on pavement and part time on gravel or "slippery" stuff. If i understand this right since the front wheels are slipping it raises the front wheel rpm since there is less traction that making it ok to use and cause no damage to the T-case? If I'm totally out to lunch could someone please quickly explain it to me. I had no idea that using part time on pavement was bad. And sorry to bring up an old post but I'm new to the whole 4x4 world.:p
Thanks,
Andrew
Just think of it this way............

In part time 4wd your front and rear driveshafts are locked together,spinning the same speed,and your front and rear diffs are slighlty geared differently(mine is 4.10's in the rear and 4.09's in the front).The diffs are geared different(just very slightly) so as the front wheels will spin just a tad faster then the rear,thus keeping your KJ striaght in the real slippery stuff and keeping the rear end from trying to pass the front end.With that different gearing and the driveshafts locked you will start binding the driveline and it will unload somewhere(IE-breaking things if in a high traction surface).

Now in full time 4wd(if you have the select trac t-case) the t-case has a center diff that allows the front and rear driveshafts to turn at different speeds,just like your open diffs allow your L/R wheels to turn at different speeds while going around a corner.In full time 4wd you can drive on any surface without fear of binding and breaking stuff.