My engine gave up the ghost today :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine died... Not sure what's gonna happen now... After almost 13 years and 300k miles... I don't know what to do... 02 engines are so expensive... And to use a newer one requires both engines being torn down anyway and that's a ton of $$$ ... What a tough spot... I can barely swing the cash for an engine in an instant... But the labor involved to swap it throws me over the edge... Anyone know of any mechanics on the east coast that would be willing to work with me on this?? I'll put in the time and assist with anything that needs to be done... I'm not asking for anything free or a discount... Just a payment plan of sorts... I hate to have to give her up after all this time... But I gotta get to work to... Damn what a pickle...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine died... Not sure what's gonna happen now... After almost 13 years and 300k miles... I don't know what to do... 02 engines are so expensive... And to use a newer one requires both engines being torn down anyway and that's a ton of $$$ ... What a tough spot... I can barely swing the cash for an engine in an instant... But the labor involved to swap it throws me over the edge... Anyone know of any mechanics on the east coast that would be willing to work with me on this?? I'll put in the time and assist with anything that needs to be done... I'm not asking for anything free or a discount... Just a payment plan of sorts... I hate to have to give her up after all this time... But I gotta get to work to... Damn what a pickle...

It doesn't have to cost you that much. Have your mechanic look at this thread and you should have a good idea of what it will cost you.

Bob

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's completely uncalled for. Could be a birthday. Maybe u shouldnt call yourself a delicious disease burden...

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree! That comment was uncalled for, you know nothing of this man or what he does, and undertaking any sort of engine replacement cost money, not everyone can do that kind of work themselves or make 60k+ a year to afford to have it replaced. Not to mention if he has kids, wife and a house..... Blew an engine in a subaru gt I had and it really set me back, still paying for it actually and don't even have the car anymore.

Last edited:

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging by the name joejeeper420 maybe spending a little less on the 420 and a little more on the jeep.

I think the person driving a 2wd kj calling it a renegade might be spending some $420 money lol... I kid I kid... But seriously I'm a telecommunications engineer... Been corporate since 19... The 420 is an inside joke to me... Funny where people's minds go.. I just moved to Ct. And spent a fortune on furniture a few weeks ago... So the motor going is a big ding that I just can't handle all at once; in a timely fashion... I'm seeking out a shop or individual that might be willing to work with me on this... The motor is 2,000 shipped to me... And I've gotten installation prices from 1000 - 1500...

SoutheastORCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try calling this guy 941 345 9242. He sells them rebuilt very reasonably. For shipping go to freghtquote.com if you don't have any other options.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the person driving a 2wd kj calling it a renegade might be spending some $420 money lol.

At least someone has a sense of humor!

If the jeep has 300k miles and you fix the engine, don't you worry that other stuff is going to go wrong and then become a money pit? I am already seeing that at 100,000 mile mark. Once I fix one thing, something else goes wrong then its more trips to the mechanic, more time, more money.

BTW: The 2wd drive renegade does a great job getting stuck in semi-hard gravel, sometimes over wet speed bumps. It also looks mean in the grocery store parking lot.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least someone has a sense of humor!

If the jeep has 300k miles and you fix the engine, don't you worry that other stuff is going to go wrong and then become a money pit? I am already seeing that at 100,000 mile mark.

Maybe some proper maintenance you wouldn't be seeing such problems at 100k and preventative maintenance helps too, ie fixing stuff before it breaks, proper inspections to spot worn components and replacing before it gives out, you can't just drive it and hope all is well.:buffer:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Making repairs is still less expensive than a new(er) car loan.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes new car payment of say what at least 350 a month, so 4200 a year , plus higher insurance rates , yep its cheaper to keep her and take care of her and keep rebuilding her.

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so excited... In ordering a remanufactured engine from AER. And I found a lead Chrysler tech that fell in love with my jeep and my story... He's gonna do it for 800 bucks! Told me not to worry about fluids, gaskets, AC, etc!!! He's also going to install the transgo hd2 kit as well as service the transmission, also gonna swap out my transfer case... Fix the speedo, flash the PCM to reflect the correct tire size... As well as a bunch of other things!! This is great!!!!

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the first time in almost 13 years that my car will be worked on at a "dealership" lol...

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also found an entire truck with the body in mint condition that is a hurricane sandy victim... The whole truck for 1500! Gonna get that as soon as the motor work is completed... And swap all the minty parts to my rig :) then she'll be around another 13 years lol...

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine is being shipped out tomorrow from AER! YAY! From my research... This place blows jasper out of the water... And on an even better note... I'm keeping my core and forfeiting the 300 bucks... To correct the piston issue with some customs... Maybe lower the compression a tad to prepare a build for boost!