My 350 Swap Take-Two

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had problems with over heating or anything. What ruined my engine was garbage in my oil pick up and starved the top end of oil. And forgive me lol but I guess I've never looked into coolants someone wanna educate me on hoat coolant??

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had problems with over heating or anything. What ruined my engine was garbage in my oil pick up and starved the top end of oil. And forgive me lol but I guess I've never looked into coolants someone wanna educate me on hoat coolant??

It's not an overheating issue. The KJ has aluminum heads which requires HOAT, regular old antifreeze would eat away at them and the plastic impeller in the water pump. HOAT stands for Hybrid Organic Acid Technology in case you were wondering

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks y'all! I'll probably go with this, the block is iron, the radiator is aluminum. Just in case

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a tahoe and have decided i want straight axle in the front and just make the jeep a toy so I've changed the plans of how I'm going to accomplish the swap. Since I want a 350 and straight axles, why not just use an old Chevy frame right? But even a swb Chevy is too long at 130" so I was talking to my buddy who has a blazer frame and the wheelbase on it.... 106"!!! So he gave it to me! The front wheel will sit 2" further forward than the liberty's. My dad is going to sandblast it and then all I do is get axles under it and get the motor in it and just sit my body on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow....big flip in plans. Definitely will be checking back

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a tahoe and have decided i want straight axle in the front and just make the jeep a toy so I've changed the plans of how I'm going to accomplish the swap. Since I want a 350 and straight axles, why not just use an old Chevy frame right? But even a swb Chevy is too long at 130" so I was talking to my buddy who has a blazer frame and the wheelbase on it.... 106"!!! So he gave it to me! The front wheel will sit 2" further forward than the liberty's. My dad is going to sandblast it and then all I do is get axles under it and get the motor in it and just sit my body on it.

How will that work with a unibody...?

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steal plates and steal stock will be adding in certain spots to add support for attaching it to that frame. And I plan on putting some Dana 44s under that frame.

Seems like alot of work (for my taste atleast) Are you planning on keeping the leafs or doing a four link?

Might be a cool mug bogger or something extreme like that. But I wouldn't want it on the road

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like alot of work (for my taste atleast) Are you planning on keeping the leafs or doing a four link?

Might be a cool mug bogger or something extreme like that. But I wouldn't want it on the road

Definitely not going on the street, buying a trailer from a friend to haul it on. Probably keep the leaf springs for now just easier that way. There's an offroad park 5 miles away from my house with mud, rocks, trails ranging from 1-5 on difficulty. Going to make it a rock crawler I believe lol. I'm 19, just got a great job, no bills, with the new job I have 3 day weekends so I wanna build it while I have time, money, and energy. Rare to get all three lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey go for it...down here in the deep south there's plenty of "built up" off-road machines. Ive even seen a old Volkswagen bus on a Bronco frame

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I'm not the 1st person to put a body on another frame I'm not even the first to put a unibody on a frame I saw a vw beetle on a s10 blazer frame with 35s and it looked so sweet! Mine will not be a hack job. Gap guards will be made and everything will look clean.... Until I get it to the off road park lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
we were doing VWs/ Vegas/ Mustangs etc back in the 70s
but with custom frames most times

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we were doing VWs/ Vegas/ Mustangs etc back in the 70s
but with custom frames most times

A mustang would be cool!! And this frame will work and I am even going to keep the extra two inches in the wheel base I originally was going to put the extra inches all up front but now I'm think I may just make it even and have an extra inch front and back... What do you think? Oh and I'm sure I'll have to cut some off each end but don't know yet.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! i was totally interested in seeing you drop the 350 in.......please dont hack it up with that frame

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! i was totally interested in seeing you drop the 350 in.......please dont hack it up with that frame

Sorry to disappoint you man... If you want to do a 350 swap and keep your IFS I'll send you my cradle the mounts are tack welded just finish weld it and its ready for a SBC. I wouldn't be doing it this way but I also wanna lift it a lot more and want a SFA and this is the easiest route in our opinions. Already set of for the motor I want lift kit is cheaper I can run large tires with the lager axles it will have a wider track so better for crawling.

drjones

Reaction score

At first I felt the same way, lets face it a sbc in a kj is long overdue. Then again, I think a monster full frame libby is to...

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I know I've ruined a lot of peoples hopes for my v8 swap but just wanted to update the thread. I sanded and primed the K5 frame. Going to torch off what I don't need next weekend. I've got to find a rear end they're a dime a dozen just have to clarify my gears in the front before i purchase a rear end. I'm 99.9999999% sure its a 10 bolt D44 with 3.73s but i want to pop the cover off to make sure before i buy the wrong rear end. then i just have to get the correct driveshafts i have the tcase off o the donor truck so im going to use it since its the gear driven tcase. i sold my np231 and adapter for $700 so i got my money back on that adapter. i found a great deal on a trailer, even tho the jeep isnt ready to be put on a trailer i couldnt pass up a 16 foot trailer for $175 just needed paint and replace the decking
BEFORE

AFTER PAINTING(havent bought the wood yet)