my 02 wont turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keisersozae

Reaction score
i have replaced the starter and the battery but im guessing im having an ignition problem. as i turn the key the dash lights come on but as i press it forward to start the truck, it does nothing. could this be as simple as just replacing the key cylinder or am i looking at more expensive repairs?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much it could be.

Is the solenoid clicking at all? Where did you get the new starter? Did you get the old one tested to see if it was actually bad?

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try checking your ignition relays, fuses, and battery connections. Mine wouldn't start like that once and i cleaned the battery terminals and checked all connections. Finally, it started and i haven't had any issues since. I am planning to replace the battery but have not got around to it yet.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Check all your engine grounds. I wouldn't suspect battery terminals as he said he replaced the battery.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have replaced the starter and the battery but im guessing im having an ignition problem. as i turn the key the dash lights come on but as i press it forward to start the truck, it does nothing. could this be as simple as just replacing the key cylinder or am i looking at more expensive repairs?

A tumbler going out would probably not allow the dash lights to come on. I would take all the leads to the starter off, and hit it with some jumper cables, to make sure the starter its self isnt seized. (its not good on the starter, but keeps you from having to take it back off to troubleshoot)

I know its probably aggravating for me to even suggest it, but its sounds more like the fuse assymbly or something in the starter electrical lines.

Good luck in getting this thing back on the road.

** Jeeps are not trucks. :mad: Thanks. **

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a problem with my KJ not starting.....turned out to be the Transmission Range Solenoid. Does it crank, or do you turn the key and nothing happens?

keisersozae

Reaction score
i turn the key and acc works, then as you turn it to the on position all the lights come on as they should, just when i press it forward to start it doesnt turn the motor over or make a clicking sound or anything. the last day it run it wouldnt turn the starter over and i kept messing with it and it finally turned the motor over and the truck started, that was the last time it ran. since i have replaced battery and starter and still has same issue. just kinda wondering what electrical componets could cause this. i have checked all fuses and relays, all are good. i know to keep my battery terminals in good shape as i have had problems in the past with funny electrical issues like dome light outa no where because of dirty battery terminals. im just stumped, im not an electrician and im colorblind to top it off. its getting cold here in texas and im still riding my buell until i get this thing running again. im about to just take it in to the shop but i know they are just going to screw me. i was hoping some of you had the same issue and could shed some light on the ignition of it. i can buy the tumbler for cheap but i just keep throwing money at it. is there another part of the ignition that is like a control box??? man i wish i wasn't so electrically challenged.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using one hand turn the key to the run position (all the way) and with another hand shift the transmission through all the gears, if the engine start, it means it is your Transmission Range Solenoid. Not a cheap part, it is build into the solenoid pack which is mounted on your valve body inside your transmission. Cost me $800 to get mine fixed. Part alone cost $500.

keisersozae

Reaction score
i will try that as soon as i get home from work.

thank you guys so much.

i will keep you updated.

im gonna be active on these boards through the winter as i usually use my jeep while its cold outside. i havnt put more than maybe 100 miles on it in the last 6 months so its gonna need some bugs worked out.

keisersozae

Reaction score
come to think of it, i replaced those solenoid packs last year after a trip down the beach which is where i was at last time it ran. i think those solenoids will get wet when you get into deep water. last time it just wouldnt shift to third gear. and yeah it was like 500-600 bucks for the repair.

keisersozae

Reaction score
shifting the gears while trying to start it didnt work for my girlfriend.

so i guess thats good and bad..haha

anyone want to buy a jeep that wont start, i gotta get around this winter.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine occured directly after i had taken it apart to install the lift and would not start after reassembly. It seemed like it was shorting out and the rear door kept unlocking/locking. I would turn the key to on and some of the acc stuff worked but when i turned the key to run nothing would happen and the dashlights would turn off. I took everything apart and reassembled it a few times. Make sure you check your battery connection. I cleaned mine off and retightened the nuts. Clean not just the posts on the battery but also the cables connecting to the battery. When, i got mine going again i took it to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it. Then the mechanic said he could replace my key/ignition dohicky for $600 bucks and i said no thanks, the key works fine. Also try turning the steering wheel and shifting the gear lever into neutral. It should start in Neutral as well as park. Also try rocking the vehicle back and shifting it from neutral to park to make sure it clicks in park.

keisersozae

Reaction score
well the battery was put on the jeep wednesday. i cleaned the terminals really good when i put it on. last night i tried shifting to neutral and back and tried starting it in every gear, then i banged through all the gears trying to start it, no dice. i did notice last night that i unlocked it with the key, not with the remote, and as i opened the door, the alarm went off, i shut off the alarm witht the remote. this is something one of my friends suggested that maybe the alarm was not allowing it to start???

keisersozae

Reaction score
ordered a new ignition switch lock and key today.............please be it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2002 liberty should start just fine while the alarm is going off.

Our ZJ, however, will not start if the alarm is going off. Thats really thrown us for a loop before. We had the battery unhooked and when we hooked it back up the alarm went off but the horn wasnt honking. Took us a few to figure out why it wouldnt crank!

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check and recheck your wiring (battery, starter). What was the truck doing that made you change the battery and starter? Was it starting slow or did it just not start one day? I have a feeling it's not fancy lock cylinders, etc.

Make sure all your wiring/terminals are tight and all the wires are going to the correct places. Not trying to insult your intelligence, but simple mistakes are usually the culprit in these situations.

keisersozae

Reaction score
i used it to go to padre island 4th of july weekend. it got sandy and was driven through 18"+ high water. when we got off the beach we stopped for gas and shut the jeep off. after the fill up it woudlnt turn over, just like now, but it eventually did after me messing with the key for about 15 minutes. i didnt shut it off again until i was home and thats where it sits today, it hasnt run since that day.

the other truck that was in our group, an old four runner did the same thing. when we got home he replaced his starter and that fixed his, so i sent mine to the shop figuring if that wasnt it, i would need one soon as my jeep has 120K +. so thats how all this came about.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna say maybe something else shorted out...perhaps the BCM or PCM. I'm betting the starter was fine. Not sure what to suggest to help you out though....