Muffler tailpipe swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I put a brand new exhaust system on my "02" from the "Y" pipe back.
The "02" has since dropped a valve, and ruined the engine. So I am trying to reuse some of the "new" parts from my "02" and put them on my new "04".

I've found that many, but not all parts, will fit and work on my "04".

The exhaust system is different, on the "04", especially the catalytic converters, and the front "Y" pipe. But I am hoping to at least re-use the "new" muffler and tailpipe section. As these parts look the same. The exhaust was only on my "02" for a month or two, before the engine blew.

The tailpipe was inserted into the muffler, and just clamped on. In that short time, the clamp got so rusted, it took me about an hour to get it off.
Anyway, now I got the clamp off. I can't separate the muffler from the tailpipe.
It would make it a whole lot easier to install on my "04" if I could get the dam thing apart. Someone said to heat up the pipe with a torch, but all I have is a propane torch. Not sure if that would get it hot enough to expand it.

Anyway, does anyone know if I can even use the muffler and tail pipe from my "02" of my "04"?

I doubt that the new front "Y" pipe will be of any use. Too bad, because it was expensive, and has the third cat converter in it...

I wish I had some pictures of the different exhausts, to see if I can re-use "any" parts of it.

Anyone have any info, ideas or suggestions? Need to fix the "04" exhaust, as it has some leaks, I can hear it popping, when I let off the gas pedal.

I can't afford to buy a whole new exhaust system for my "04" and trying to re-use these new parts.

Please help!

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That's just what I expected. Now I'm hoping my exhaust leaks are coming from the muffler, and not from the front pipe! Now, what to do with the month old front pipe?
Looks like it will only fit on a "02" and perhaps an "03" KJ. Guess I can sell it cheap to someone who needs it...

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, Only the cat on the "Y" pipe is new. I never replaced the 2 small ones. In fact, I didn't even know they were there! Until I went to install the "Y" pipe. I still have the 2 small old ones, but they are pretty rusty, and the heat shields are missing. However, if you still want "just" the "Y" pipe. Make me an offer for it? But you will have to pay the shipping cost too. Send me your zip code, and let me know if it's a residence or business. I believe it's slightly cheaper, if sent to a business address. I believe it cost me $250. It's a aftermarket pipe, "Walker" I think. I still have the used gaskets and spring bolts. And even one extra spring bolt kit, new in box. I ordered by mistake. Would have to send those parts separate, in a small box. Perhaps via regular USPS mail, to save on shipping costs. Let me know what you think either way?

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 50 for the y pipe and the extra spring bolt kit? Plus shipping of course..
Not positive how interested Tom still is, wait and see but I would be.
Especially if you can post a picture of it.. still in state so shipping might not be horrible, but wouldn't expect it to be good either..

Last edited:

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in far NE Philadelphia PA. I will hold it for a while, if perhaps you can come pick it up? I'm not sure how to post pics on here. Send me your email, and I will reply with pics.
Honest here, just trying to get a little back, from all the new parts I put into my "02".
I was stupid, paid $5k for the Jeep from a small car dealer. I knew it needed some work, but every week or two, I had to fix/replace something! I put about $2k worth of parts into it. 8 months later, the engine dropped a valve. And I had it towed home. Disgusted, tried to sell it. Most I was offered was $600 for it... My first Jeep, and I loved it! So I bought another "04" for $3200. This needed work too. So I "figured" to strip the "02" "especially" for all the new parts, thinking that they would fit the "04".
Nope, different trans, computer, exhaust, and some engine/body parts etc.

In my opinion, the "02-03" were better built. After that, they started skimping, and building them with cheaper parts. I could compare, and give you many examples. As I was deep inside, and underneath both. Such a shame... My "04" has many of the same problems, as my "02", and with less miles, is rusting away faster!

Otherwise, I just want to "pay it forward" and help others in the KJ forum, as they helped me so much, fixing my "02" and my "04". Many parts still left on my "02" before it get's towed away, and crushed, if anyone you know, needs a "02" specific part.
Not out to make a profit at all. But some parts I am saving, for my "04" if I need them.

Still have the multi-speed trans, and other "free" parts, But they would have to come here, and remove them yourself. It's in my garage, not outside. Most interior parts are gone. As well as glass etc. But if someone needs a free door, hood etc. Come and get it soon, as I have to junk it soon! Engine was still running, but badly, after I had towed it home. It is blue.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ain't it the truth!

Seems like it's the vehicles you pay 500 bucks for that just won't die.. and the ones you pay a pretty penny for give you the trouble... backwards

I have owned many, many cars over the years. And I got the most use out of the $500 cars... Had some pretty ******/ugly cars, that would not die. Paid $700 for a Dodge Aries K, with a sewing machine engine, It's probably still running today somewhere... I owned a Ford Pinto, grenade on wheels! The worst was a Pontiac Fiero. Spent most of the time, in my garage, fixing it!
Best $500 car, was my Toyota MR2, had it for 5 years, never let me down!
Actually I paid $450 for it, and sold it for $500. Could of got much more, since it was a mark 1. And highly sought after today... Same for the Fiero.
Should of put them in a garage somewhere, a waited a few years. Collector/cult cars today... If I only would have known...

Latest posts

Members online