msd ignition is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganstatrucka

Reaction score
whats the deal with it what do i need to buy and what will it improve i always hear about everyone upgrading their yj and they say it helps alot on the 4.0 but what about the 3.7?

ganstatrucka

Reaction score
oh that explains a little i could find it for the 4 cyl but not the v6 what other mods could you recommend to help it run smoother and better?(besides intake)

ganstatrucka

Reaction score
yeah i got the k&n already i bought it before i left wv and drove out here i just want a little extra pick up. and it sounds like it almost has a little bit oof piston slap

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot. At the front of the intake there is a little deflector attached in front of the intake and a piece of foam in a corresponding place on the underside of the hood. Take those off for the dry season and the engine will breath a bit better.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If you wanted MSD, you would need SIX of their small coils, and somewhere to mount them, then make custom plug wires. You would have to put the wires that go to the coil, to each MSD coil... It would work, I have seen it done, but just too much work involved. It would not be worth the time and money. Though, I am sure these individual PLUG COILS aren't cheap...

It is not all that different in replacing them, as it would another car that has individual coils for each plug. The difference is, the coil is the in plug wire itself, and not mounted to the firewall, or anywhere else. You notice, there are no regular plug wires, just the boot part that goes over the spark plug, and the coil is built in. The wires to the boot are the signal and power wires.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a company called Weapon X that sells high performance coil-on-plug coils for Fords.

Your best bet is to look for something high performance for the 4.7L V8 since the 3.7L uses the same coils.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - even if you could get MSD -- it's a fix for a problem - if you're not having a problem then the MSD by itself won't help anything. Most of the problem are higher than stock RPM, or compression pressure or NOS.

Latest posts

Members online