MPG with lift kit installed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this start just after you fitted the lift or ....

no thats the wierd part. this happened the other day. my lift is almost 2 years old. since the day i bought the jeep (not lifted) the overhead "mile to empty" would read out aroud 330 miles when full. the math actually works out with the new mileage number. I just dont know what the sudden change in the fuel range would be from.

no it wasnt serviced recently, although i do plan on changing the oil and filter tomorrow.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
no thats the wierd part. this happened the other day. my lift is almost 2 years old. since the day i bought the jeep (not lifted) the overhead "mile to empty" would read out aroud 330 miles when full. the math actually works out with the new mileage number. I just dont know what the sudden change in the fuel range would be from.

no it wasnt serviced recently, although i do plan on changing the oil and filter tomorrow.

What does the actual fuel gauge say, and is it working normal?

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the actual fuel gauge say, and is it working normal?

On full it will read 230 miles to empty (or so). My MPG avg right now is 14.5 (which is accurate since I have about a 16 gallon tank). But like I said, 2 weeks ago (and for the 2 years prior) it would read 300 miles to empty and 18MPG (also accurate factoring in the 16 gallon tank) when I would fill it up. So I dont know what the deal is.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
On full it will read 230 miles to empty (or so). My MPG avg right now is 14.5 (which is accurate since I have about a 16 gallon tank). But like I said, 2 weeks ago (and for the 2 years prior) it would read 300 miles to empty and 18MPG (also accurate factoring in the 16 gallon tank) when I would fill it up. So I dont know what the deal is.

No no, the fuel gauge with the needle, not the OTIS or EVIC. Does the needle drop suddenly or bounce wildly?

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no, the fuel gauge with the needle, not the OTIS or EVIC. Does the needle drop suddenly or bounce wildly?

when full, needle sits right on Full (maybe a millimeter past). Drops fairly smoothly as I use the gas up. It doesn't bounce on change of terrain or acceleration/braking either.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
It would seem to me that there is a problem with the sending unit in the fuel tank, and it's not telling the "overhead" the right amount of fuel to do the miles till empty calculation. :confused:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No 16 gallon tanks offered in a KJ,only 18.5,19.5,and 20.5 gallon tanks depending on the year.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No 16 gallon tanks offered in a KJ,only 18.5,19.5,and 20.5 gallon tanks depending on the year.

On dead 'e', with 0 miles to empty on the overhead comp, I can't squeeze more than 16.5 gallons or so at the pump into the tank. so whatever that converts to. it is possible there is a 3.0 gallon reserve built in. but since the day i bought the jeep, until the other week, the read-out has been consistant.

The actual size of the tank does not matter (since that variable has never changed). its the fuel read-out that is in question. The sudden change in the info being displayed is the main concern for the confusion.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
with 245/75-16s, a lift, and a perpetual trunkload of crap, ThunderbirdJunkie averages about 13 straight city, 15-16 mixed, and returned a nice shiny 21 mpg on his trip this weekend

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lift alone shouldn't really affect gas mileage. At least not anything easy to measure. Fractions of a percent in my opinion. The problem is, few people only do a lift. Most people do a lift AND upgrade their tires. Your tires will have a noticable impact on gas milage.

And I'm with BigBlue on the tank filling thing. Gas tank is supposed to hold 19.5 gallons, fuel light goes off with 4 gallons in tank. I've run dangerously past the fuel light going off and have *never* ever... never eever ever ever ever been able to get more than about 16.1 or so gallons back in the tank.