MPG change with lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho Tracy

Reaction score
Since my 04 KJ is a daily commuter vehicle, I'm wondering if the OME 2.5" lift alters the MPG stats an appreciable amount? Thx.

Rasfetch

Reaction score
My old liberty had the 2.5" lift on it with stock sized all terrain tires, and I think I lost .5mpg so not much. Ironically, it got better gas mileage than my current liberty. Same engine too.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I may have had a very slight decrease, but as duderz7 says, worth it for the way it rides and looks. I think my heavy roof rack and the big pile of stuff I lug around had a bigger impact.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest mpg effect will be larger tires. Mine was lifted for 6 months before I got 31’s, and like with Rasfetch’s it was negligible with the stock 29’s. Roof rack basket -1.5, bigger tires -2 to -3, lift maybe -0.5.

Regearing your differentials to 4.10 ratio will put your engine back in the torque band, your transmission will be happier, and you’ll get most of those mpg back.

Idaho Tracy

Reaction score
Thanks for the good info. I already have oversized tires (245R75) and I get right at 20 mpg.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tyres make the biggest difference. Size and type of tyre... If you change tyres without regearing your MPG will fall more... After regearing i noticed a slight change for the better especially in city driving...
I get 12.7lt/100km (18MPG) on highway with 120-130km/h and approx 16.8lt/100km (14MPG) in city driving (Athens-Greece) with mud tyres. I expect to go better after changing to AT tyres (BFGoodrich KO2)...

Idaho Tracy

Reaction score
My main interest in the lift is tire clearance. The larger (all terrain) tires rub in any kind of flex situation. I think I'll start with the 4:10 gearing and go from there.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tyres make the biggest difference. Size and type of tyre... If you change tyres without regearing your MPG will fall more... After regearing i noticed a slight change for the better especially in city driving...
I get 12.7lt/100km (18MPG) on highway with 120-130km/h and approx 16.8lt/100km (14MPG) in city driving (Athens-Greece) with mud tyres. I expect to go better after changing to AT tyres (BFGoodrich KO2)...
Guess that's a V6!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
KJ’s have always gotten better mileage than KK’s for some reason, even though we have the same engine.

My KK, 4 inch lifted, with 245/75R16 BFG KO2’s and a roof rack, gets 17.5 on the highway and 12 in the city. I have not yet regeared (stock 3.73 ratio) and it is an automatic 4 speed transmission.

DeVilliers

Reaction score
oooo, I want a guzzler sticker. Where can I buy one online?

I don't recall the 2.5in lift I did making a difference, but the bigger tyres and roof rack certainly did.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
oooo, I want a guzzler sticker. Where can I buy one online?

I don't recall the 2.5in lift I did making a difference, but the bigger tyres and roof rack certainly did.
Ha ha..You won't find the stickers online. I made the graphics for the forum as a joke.
I suppose you could get a graphics shop to make some quality stickers for the Jeep !
Here is also the simplified version.
You must be registered for see images attach

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the poison dwarf herself?

You must be registered for see images attach

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice any sort of significant reduction in fuel economy when I installed my lift. If I drove on the highway/at high speed more often then perhaps it would be more obvious.

A lift won't help reduce rubbing off road. Your suspension travel is still the same up and down, so the max and min positions of the wheels are the same, but now your neutral point is higher, so you will have more clearance from tire to body when steering on flat ground. When you are fully flexed out the tires will be in the same position as they were when you were flexed out on stock springs. There is one caveat to make there, which is that lift springs are stiffer than OEM springs so you will lose some flex on rough ground in some situations which could lead to less rubbing, but the basic suspension geometry and wheel path through the suspension stroke is the same with or without a lift.

Idaho Tracy

Reaction score
One bid I got from a local shop that specializes in suspensions and gearing gave me a price of $2660 out the door, parts and labor. How does that compare to some of your experiences? It is too technical to get it right for me to try it myself. Not every regular shop will even do diff gearing. I may try to check out some other shops.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the equipment you’re having them install. If this is for a spacer lift they are ripping you off. The price could be fine if they are buying and installing OME springs, OME or Bilstein shocks, and JBA upper control arms. Some others may have other experiences. The install part of mine (labor only) was $1000. I am in the northeast where prices are higher than in the midwest.

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One bid I got from a local shop that specializes in suspensions and gearing gave me a price of $2660 out the door, parts and labor. How does that compare to some of your experiences? It is too technical to get it right for me to try it myself. Not every regular shop will even do diff gearing. I may try to check out some other shops.
I installed the rear shocks and springs. Then I took it to the mechanic for the rest of the install because I couldn't deal with compressing the front fronts. Swapping the parts on the rear end is very easy. That should save you a decent amount of money. The labour charge for installation of the front end parts was $660CDN. You'll need an alignment as well. I had my install done at one of the local Jeep dealers. They were great and their price was WAY lower than one of the popular local offroad shops. Installing a spring lift on a Liberty is not complicated, so it shouldn't cost a fortune. Some shops won't even touch lifts at all because they know that they might run into weird issues, but really it is the job same as installing any other new springs and dampers.
I also had new front upper shock mounts and all spring isolators installed when I did my lift. All that stuff is going to be shot, so its a good time to get it replaced. Get new front shock lower mounting bushings installed as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online