MOTOR OIL: Weights, Brands, & Geo needs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who uses what oil?

Brand?

Weight?

What Geographic locations and seasons?

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hotter being desert climates? 5W 30 sbould be good year round in new england? I might be wrong but i think the cap says 10W30 wether it says 5W30 or 10W30 on the oil fill cap should i use what it says and use it year round or do the 5W30 and do it year round? Im about to go full synthetic (hopefully Lucas brand) with Lucas synth stabilizer K&N oil filter (unless you guys can give me science based intel on another filter) Lucas Fuel treatment i need to start getting ready for my oil change bc i only have 1900 miles left to 40,000. I dont care if i have to pull over on side of highway or stop in middle of bridge im going to do it at 40,000

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hotter being desert climates? 5W 30 sbould be good year round in new england? I might be wrong but i think the cap says 10W30 wether it says 5W30 or 10W30 on the oil fill cap should i use what it says and use it year round or do the 5W30 and do it year round? Im about to go full synthetic (hopefully Lucas brand) with Lucas synth stabilizer K&N oil filter (unless you guys can give me science based intel on another filter) Lucas Fuel treatment i need to start getting ready for my oil change bc i only have 1900 miles left to 40,000. I dont care if i have to pull over on side of highway or stop in middle of bridge im going to do it at 40,000
Your cap will say 5w-30 if it say's anything at all,check the owners manual and it will have a chart for the correct oil weights in it.In '07+ they recommned 5w-20 oil.

5W-30 is more then enough for any climate in the US(besides Alaska).Skip the K&N and save a few buck and use Napa Gold filter that are made by WIX for less then 1/2 the cost of the K&N and filters better,K&N(oil and air filters) are for race engines that don't need to last more then 500miles or so_Oh and do not use fuel treatments more then once every 6 months,damge to your O2 sensors and cats can/will occur.

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks will use 5W30 synth w stabil and Napa Gold filter. Ill lay off the fuel treat untill winter.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running Valvoline Synthetic in 5w30 year round. Mine is an 05MY and the owners manual calls for 5w30 as the preferred weight. Mopar oil filter (don't ask....I have a bunch of them)........and NAPA Gold air filter.

I do not add anything to my oil. Not necessary since any good name brand syn oil has enough additives.

As far as the gas goes, I use a bottle of "Techron Fuel System Cleaner" about once every 6 months or so.

Dave

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5W-30 is more then enough for any climate in the US(besides Alaska)....use Napa Gold filter

That's all you need to know right there.

Use 5w-30 year round so you don't have to worry about changing the weights around. The KJ works just fine with this weight of oil.

Brands - Any brand you like and any change schedule that you like. The most important thing is to keep up with the oil changes and regular maintenance and the KJ will last a very long time.

Some light reading = Oil Filter Study

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valvoline Synthetic in 5w30 year round with the larger FL-1A filter but I use the Wix brand filter dont know the p/n right now.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 Extended Performance (5w-30)

K&N Oil Filter

Western North Carolina - mid 20's to upper 40's in the winter and mid 70's to upper 80's in the summer. We don't have drastic temps here. It just changes all the time.

Chris9296

Reaction score
New poster and new Jeep owner. Mine has 81,000 km on it, 04 sport. Going to change oil this weekend before I go on a trip. Will be using a product called SEAFOAM to flush the engine lightly b4. Will use Lucas 5w30 oil as well as Lucas oil stabalizer. And a Napa Gold 1516 oil filter(which is made by WIX) Which of course I work for NAPA so of course I am going to use the best we sell. As well if you have acess to it I recommend the SEAFOAM treatment as well for injector cleaner, great stuff.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recommended filter is 1516 (NAPA #)/51516 (WIX #). The oversized filter that many use is 1515/51515. Though I haven't used Lucas oil, I don't have a high opinion of some of their other products. I will say that any quality synthetic oil should not need any additional additive. Regardless of oil brand chosen, I'd use 5W30 year-round.

For all you ever wanted to know about oil/lubes/filters, check out bitog:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use Quaker State non synthetic 5w-30, and a Motor Craft filter. I don't use synthetic excuse it gives me an excuse to got to the autopart store more often!!!!

FRAM filters I hear are known to collapse on themselves...so I stay away from them...

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That guy is on crack,his tests are not very good and there is no controls so the outcomes are not real,take the info with a grain of salt.

Which guy? BITOG is a forum (like this one) with thousands of registered users.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he means Bob......you know....The Oil Guy.:D

Dave

Yeah, I suppose. Thing is, Bob hasn't been around in a few years. The site is now owned by a woman named Helen.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I just bought a Wix oil filter and 8.8 liters of Shell Synthetic 5W-40 oil for an all in price of $48.00 Canuk Bucks!
Oh, got a good deal on windshield washer fluid.
20 U.S. gallons for $20.00 Canadian Dollars.
I think I'll go back later this evening and grab another 20 or so gallons of windshield washer fluid and a few more jugs of 5W-40 oil